Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

DEVIL'S REIGN #1 Preview, Reviews and Discussion
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What did you think of DEVIL'S REIGN #1?
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
20%
 20%  [ 1 ]
60%
 60%  [ 3 ]
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
20%
 20%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 5

Kuljit Mithra
Hardcore

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 10:18 pm    Post subject: DEVIL'S REIGN #1 Preview, Reviews and Discussion Reply with quote

DEVIL'S REIGN #1 by Zdarsky, Checchetto, Menyz and Cowles ships today and here's the cover and preview!

https://www.manwithoutfear.com/preview-images/devils-reign-1/

Please use this thread for all discussion.
Dimetre
Underboss

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's fair to say that this comic is treading very similar ground that Civil War did in 2006. We have a government taking control of the right of superheroes to use their powers. The difference is we know the motivations of the government official enacting the ban, and it's localized to one city. I think both of those things work in Devil's Reign's favour.

I felt that a lot of the characters were written very well. Daredevil, Captain America, the Thing and Doctor Octopus were all very true to type. The moments with Cap and Doc Ock reminded me why I love the Marvel Universe the way that I do. I love the size of this event, and how everyone is coming together to fight a common threat.

Some things I didn't like:

I feel like Marco Checchetto is a big off-model with his drawing of Fisk so far. I felt like he drew him better earlier in Chip Zdarsky's run.

Mike Murdock's presence is still an annoyance to me. Butch's yelling at Wilson was a bit too much, especially Checchetto drawing his gaping maw.

I don't think Fisk should be immune to Killgrave's power. I can buy that Doctor Doom's will is too strong. I can't buy that from Fisk. Typhoid has been able to control him. Killgrave should be able to as well.

I'm not keeping up with Spider-Man, so I don't know if we're seeing Peter and Miles, and I don't know who's wearing what costume.

Otherwise I'm excited by this event. I want to see how Tony Stark's campaign goes. This may not be the most original idea for a crossover, but this first issue was a lot of fun. I gave it a four.
DesignDevil
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I'll give the first issue of Devil's Reign: Dark Reign 2: Civil War 3 credit for one thing. It's one of the most gorgeous comics I've read in a long time.

The story was better than some of Zdarsky's recent, but it was still mediocre s*** thrown against the wall at best.

I really hope Marvel doesn't go that far with Kingpin. This story needs to be his defeat not his triumph. He's been winning way too long. I read this stuff because I want to see colorful heroes eventually beat the bad guys. If I want to see evil people succeeding and escaping justice, I'll watch the damn news.

Mike appears briefly to bring down the story with his idiotic existence and terrible plotline with Butch.

Art: 5/5
Story 1/5 (If Mike had not appeared, I might've given it a 2 or 3)
Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2021 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a very pretty comic and I think the focus on Fisk is part of its strength. I don't think I expected Daredevil's secret identity to be the catalyst. I also thought the story did a good job with the negatives of outlawing superheroes. It definitely straddles the line between Civil War and Dark Reign but I think it scales things down a bit to make it better. The big downside is it has to put a lot of pieces on the board to set up spinoff books, which makes it hard to follow as a complete story.

Not sure what to read next? Check out the Book Club for some ideas!

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons
james castle
Devil in Cell-Block D

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2021 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personal Note: I haven't been on the Board forever. It's great that it's still going. I figured I'd peak back in an post given that we have another Daredevil event! Who would have ever thought there'd be another Daredevil event? Remember Shadowkeep? Boy, that's was terrible. It's cool that we have another even though.

Too bad it's also going to be terrible.

Guess what? Being a Superhero is illegal. Guess also what? Being a Superhero has ALWAYS been illegal. This has always, always been the case. Cops have always chased Spider-Man around. Heck, cops have always chased Daredevil around. Sure, there's always been a lot of cops either turning a blind eye or just accepting that there's no point trying to catch Superheroes because they'll just get away but it has never, never, ever been the case that being a Superhero is straight up legal. The obvious exceptions are the Fantastic Four (a family/organization that everyone loves) and The Avengers (who are quasi government). The fact that the Fantastic Four are different is part of their DNA. It's unique that they don't wear masks because they're unique!

For everyone else being a Superhero is and has always been illegal. I have no idea why writers repeatedly pretend this isn't the case and try to create drama but "making it illegal to be a hero". It's dumb. I suspect that part of the drive is an effort to ape the X-Men Mutant Registration Act. Everyone name checks Civil War but Civil War was just a MRA ripoff.

The problem though, is that what made the MRA stuff compelling is that no one chooses to be a mutant. The MRA was bad and interesting and a commentary on real world events specifically because mutants are born mutants and can't change that. The MRA forces mutants to register whether they used their powers or not. They were forced to register simply because of who they were. They had no choice.

The fact that Superheroes have a choice makes the whole thing way less compelling and sort of boring and nonsense. In fact, Superheroes being illegal is actually interesting. That's why it's the status quo. Choosing to use your powers despite the risks? Cool. Choosing to use your powers and everyone being really happy you did? Boring.

Speak of X-Men, it pains me to think of what the X-Men part of this cross over will be like. The whole premise of the new X-Men status quo is that they're so much more powerful than humans that they don't even want to deal with human stuff anymore. If the mini-series is anything other than then mutants showing up and wiping New York completely off the map it won't make any sense.

I was considering buying all the tie ins because when I was a kid I would have sold my soul for a Daredevil centric event. Given the premise I'll probably buy some of the core books and just let the rest pass by. Maybe there's more than meets the eye and there will be some interesting twist but so far it's paint by numbers.

Oh, but I will say that when Fisk and Mary got married in the final DD issue I got a terrible feeling that Mary might get killed and that would fuel Fisk's rage. Honestly, if they fridge Mary (who is a walking, talking feminist critique of comics) it will be a all time low for DD comics (right along side Karen getting AIDS but not getting it and then dying by mistake and also the big reveal in FATHER). At least they didn't do that in issue #1 but I worry that there's still time.

So why can't you see the funny side?
Why aren't you laughing?
DesignDevil
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two issues in, along with the Woman Without Fear first issue...

Amazing art, but the story so far, like the last year and a half, makes Shadowland look well written.
Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DesignDevil wrote:
Two issues in, along with the Woman Without Fear first issue...

Amazing art, but the story so far, like the last year and a half, makes Shadowland look well written.

If you're interested in a comparison, we're doing a read-through right now. We've barely started, so feel free to jump in.

Daredevil24
Humanity's Fathom

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2022 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone liked the issue today? Thoughts?
Thayrone Ibsen
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2022 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh man, oh man...
This is so bad it hurts...
Can't we just go back in time and have Zdarsky's run have ended in #20??
Daredevil24
Humanity's Fathom

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2022 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anybody like today's issue?
DesignDevil
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2022 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just read the final.

I take back every criticism I ever had for Andy Diggle and Mark Waid.

Without Checchetto's gorgeous artwork, the entire past two years is the most garbage Daredevil story since the mid 90s.

"He killed my Micheal!" Just pathetic. Such utter stupidity, terrible dialogue, and story.

Again, was Mike real or not? Supposed to be real, right? Everyone knows Mike exists in this f***ing stupid new rebooted Daredevil world, right? So how does this "Matt Murdock is dead" thing work for more than like, an hour without everyone figuring it out?

And the ending. That's why I started reading comics all those many, many years ago. To see the villain, after five years of riding high and powerful, sail off into the sunset, happy and victorious. Because the real world isn't sh**y enough.

And it seems likely my personal worst fear will be coming true. Mike will now take the place of Elektra, Karen, and Milla as the big source of Matt's guilt going forward in the years to come, and his entire history from 1964 to 2020 has been thrown out in favor of this stupid s***.

The most tragic thing is Checchetto, who is probably in the top five Daredevil artists ever, has been wasted on all this idiocy. It's like getting Denis Villeneuve to direct a Kevin Smith script.
Thayrone Ibsen
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2022 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DesignDevil, I share your pain. Really.
This whole mess of... well, I don't want to be gross... It made Shadowland look like something beautiful. Although I'll probably never be able to enjoy the disastrous second half of Waid's run, yeah, maybe this thing managed to top it. Not to mention it has everything that's wrong in these famous "big events" and then some. Not to mention the details of the garbage, because there's no energy for that. To think of the quality the writer brought to the book way back... It's awful.
I just have to disagree with you re: one thing: nothing even in the 90s was as bad as this. Really, nothing. It was gold, in comparison.
And for the idiots who adore saying "if you don't like, stop reading": well, I sure wish I finally get to that, and leave current DD for good. Until the last #20 there was enough to love, so maybe I can finally stop now.
Nothing good lasts for ever.
Daredevil24
Humanity's Fathom

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2022 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow...so terrible. The Matt Murdock stuff has been an absolute disgrace to the pages of Daredevil. All the editors on the book should be fired for allowing Soule to produce such a stupid concept and for allowing Chip to continue with it. I still hate Waid's run more but this run is nearly as bad. It started out with an interesting concept and went down hill FAST! Elektra becoming Daredevil, throwing Matt in prison, Matt Murdock, Fisk marrying Mary. It's just so dumb. Devil Reign shouldn't have been a bit event.

If it wasn't for Matt and Elektra 's relationship this would be unreadable. I don't feel great about going forward. I smell another Shadowland on the horizon.
Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2022 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I definitely enjoyed it more than most. I was expecting people to just be happy Mike Murdock's dead rather than upset that he's there at all (I guess my enjoyment in part has to do with a greater willingness to accept that story). That being said, I thought the story felt tepid. I understood where the emotional impact was supposed to be coming from, but I didn't feel it. Still, as far as events go, I left it without feeling exhausted so that's a plus.

For those who are saying it's worse than Shadowland, feel free to go back and post some reviews for our Shadowland Read Through as part of the Daredevil Book Club. I can promise you this story really isn't nearly as bad as that one (but your opinion might differ).

fubarthepanda
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2022 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off, Shadowland was the absolute nadir of the series, so given that there's even a conversation around which event is actually worse, it's safe to say that Devil's Reign is in some pretty bad company.

Heck, I'll even go out on a limb and say that it's worse for a number of reasons, but mainly Mike Murdock. Not only have we had to deal with this imaginary character being retconned into Matt's life, we now have to deal with Matt carrying around the guilt of his death... I nearly hurled when Matt was grieving over "My Michael" in the last issue. It's like the creators were thinking, "how can we up the DD/Kingpin rivalry even MORE...? I know, we'll insert a fake brother into his continuity and have Kingpin kill him off... brilliant!". Unfortunately, until this is all retconned away, we'll have to read about Matt's "guilt" over the loss of his "brother" for years to come...

Yes, Shadowland was bad, but at least it was nearly non-stop "ninja vs. street hero" action. No one liked how we got there, but it was at least entertaining on a very base level. Devil's Reign had a horrible pace -- nearly all of the action in the early issues occurred off panel and it was essentially characters talking to each other with almost no plot development. As far as I can tell, the only thing that happened was Doctor Octopus undermining the Kingpin, while the heroes sulked away until they had an anti-climatic fight with the Thunderbolts...

Running out of energy, so I won't elaborate on Butch, Typhoid Mary, two Daredevils, the Kingpin's ride off into the sunset and all of the other inane flaws in what can only be referred to as an anti-event. This must of been envisioned as a regular arc in the main DD book that some genius in editorial thought could be inflated into a crossover to goose sales with superfluous tie-ins...

Anyway, at least it's over. Unfortunately, looks like more of the same coming a few months...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: