Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

DAREDEVIL #4 Preview and Discussion

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What did you think of DAREDEVIL #4?
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
33%
 33%  [ 1 ]
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
66%
 66%  [ 2 ]
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 3

Kuljit Mithra
Hardcore

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2022 9:46 pm    Post subject: DAREDEVIL #4 Preview and Discussion Reply with quote

DAREDEVIL #4 by Zdarsky, De Latorre, Wilson, and Cowles shipped today. Here's the cover and preview.

https://www.manwithoutfear.com/preview-images/daredevil-v7-004/

Please use this thread for all discussion about the issue!
Daredevil24
Humanity's Fathom

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2022 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting issue. Not really sure where to rate it.
DesignDevil
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2022 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad everyone else seems to be enjoying Shadowland 2.0.

The marriage of Daredevil and Elektra lands with all the impact and emotional depth of a wet fart. Thanks, Mr. Zdarksy.

Like everything over the last two years, things happen because... reasons.

So Matt brings Foggy and his cop buddy along for his war against the hand because... reasons. It's not like Foggy has a habit of getting injured or almost killed being around this stuff.

How does everyone not know that Daredevil is either Matt or Mike? Absolutely nothing makes sense about this stupid twin plot line. Is everyone in this new universe a damn idiot? I know the technicalities of the Purple Children's effect, but it really makes characters like Butch, Kirsten, and Cole look monumentally dumb.

I generally like De Latorre's artwork, but has anyone else noticed he alway draws Matt to look like a 13 year old getting his first peach fuzz?

This issue reminded me because Stick used Matt's full name, and I will always go back to this. Did Jack and Maggie seriously name both their twins Micheal in this new stupid rebooted reality? Just take it a step further and reveal that Mike's full name is Michael Matthew Murdock to bring this ridiculousness full ******.
Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2022 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found this issue enjoyable enough. I do get similar vibes to Left Hand Path, which built up to Shadowland, but, in fairness, I enjoyed those issues for the most part (it was just Shadowland itself that was terrible). It also focuses far less on nonsensical political intrigue.

I do agree that the "marriage" felt like a bit of an anticlimax. But there was nothing I hated about it. Sort of an "yeah, that makes sense" kind of emotional reaction. Still, some good moments with Cole and I'm still interested in where this story is going. I suspect it would read better in trade because there doesn't feel like enough in this issue to sustain it for an entire month.

Four Stars.

Not sure what to read next? Check out the Book Club for some ideas!

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons
Dimetre
Underboss

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2022 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I rated this issue a four, but that might be a bit generous. The issue doesn't do much wrong. It's a well-made comic book. The characters are all true to form.

It does feel like a rehashing of (shudder) Shadowland. I have always liked Daredevil and Elektra together, so that's a plus for me. I don't think she has to be Daredevil anymore. I'd rather she just be herself. To me, I think she just became Daredevil to honour Matt while he was in jail -- an act of love. Now that he's free, why is she still Daredevil?

Also, I don't know why we have so many mentions of Kirsten in this issue. Matt may have loved Kirsten, but he's a grown man who had to make a choice and he made it. It's a little pathetic to keep dwelling on her at this point, especially since Kirsten didn't play a big part in Zdarsky's run so far. I could be complaining about this also because I found her very annoying towards the end of Mark Waid's run.

I really dig Rafael de Latorre's art. I like the supporting cast. I was presently surprised to see Doc Samson appear, and I hope he actually plays an active role in this story. I'm hoping the action returns to New York since we know the Stromwyns are wrapped up in this, along with Frank Castle.

I enjoyed this issue, but I don't know where all this is headed. To this issue's credit, I'm committed to finding out.
Daredevil24
Humanity's Fathom

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2022 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dimetre wrote:
I rated this issue a four, but that might be a bit generous. The issue doesn't do much wrong. It's a well-made comic book. The characters are all true to form.

It does feel like a rehashing of (shudder) Shadowland. I have always liked Daredevil and Elektra together, so that's a plus for me. I don't think she has to be Daredevil anymore. I'd rather she just be herself. To me, I think she just became Daredevil to honour Matt while he was in jail -- an act of love. Now that he's free, why is she still Daredevil?

Also, I don't know why we have so many mentions of Kirsten in this issue. Matt may have loved Kirsten, but he's a grown man who had to make a choice and he made it. It's a little pathetic to keep dwelling on her at this point, especially since Kirsten didn't play a big part in Zdarsky's run so far. I could be complaining about this also because I found her very annoying towards the end of Mark Waid's run.

I really dig Rafael de Latorre's art. I like the supporting cast. I was presently surprised to see Doc Samson appear, and I hope he actually plays an active role in this story. I'm hoping the action returns to New York since we know the Stromwyns are wrapped up in this, along with Frank Castle.

I enjoyed this issue, but I don't know where all this is headed. To this issue's credit, I'm committed to finding out.
I agree with you on just about all points. Matt is mourning Kirstin as if she was Karen Page or Mila. It's too much. I do love Matt & Elektra and I always wanted Elektra to have a less antagonist role in the series. I love this relationship. I do think her being Daredevil is ridiculous. It's time to let it go. I also dug the art.
Thayrone Ibsen
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2022 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not really enjoying this arc so far, though it has some good moments (and seems like it's going to have more quality than Shadowland). It sure is better than the stuff that happened after #21 and concluded with ridiculous Devil's Reign. But similar to what someone wrote in another trend: the Hand? Oh come on. This guys are boring as "hell" and are mostly a joke. It also reads a bit goofy, that "I'm going to save the world" mantra adopted by Matt. The Hand's been around for quite some time and it never seems like they're actually that much of a treat to lil ol Earth.

Anyways, gonna throw in here something silly (?): does anyone think that there's going to be some extra tension when the married couple meet Punisher (now in yet another ridiculous role), given that he and Elektra had a (completely nonsensical) thing in the pgs of Thunderbolts? Maybe not, maybe Zdarsky is going to do something sane for a change and pretend that didn't happen.
I also think it's possible that he (Castle) ends up killing Natchios...
Daredevil24
Humanity's Fathom

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2022 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thayrone Ibsen wrote:
Not really enjoying this arc so far, though it has some good moments (and seems like it's going to have more quality than Shadowland). It sure is better than the stuff that happened after #21 and concluded with ridiculous Devil's Reign. But similar to what someone wrote in another trend: the Hand? Oh come on. This guys are boring as "hell" and are mostly a joke. It also reads a bit goofy, that "I'm going to save the world" mantra adopted by Matt. The Hand's been around for quite some time and it never seems like they're actually that much of a treat to lil ol Earth.

Anyways, gonna throw in here something silly (?): does anyone think that there's going to be some extra tension when the married couple meet Punisher (now in yet another ridiculous role), given that he and Elektra had a (completely nonsensical) thing in the pgs of Thunderbolts? Maybe not, maybe Zdarsky is going to do something sane for a change and pretend that didn't happen.
I also think it's possible that he (Castle) ends up killing Natchios...
I would hope Zadarsky would ignore that crap. It was out of character for Elektra to be throwing herself in bed with both Punisher and Doctor Strange. Marvel writers have no regard for canon or character these days. I missed the times where writers were task with actually reading and studying characters before writing them. Its also ridiculous for Frank to be running the Hand. As a Daredevil fan I've always had a soft spot for Frank.

I do think Elektra might die. It's prophesied that the king or queen will die. It could Matt too. I don't really trust Marvel. I can't disagree with you about the Hand. Marvel had Dakota North kill a Hand ninja. They're jokes. Sad because they have potential.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: