Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

ELEKTRA MOVIE: MWF Message board speaks
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The Netflix show and other movies
View previous topic :: View next topic  

I viewd the Elektra film and I give it a . . . .
Thumbs Up!
76%
 76%  [ 16 ]
Thumbs Down!
23%
 23%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 21

rgj
Hardcore

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 4:59 pm    Post subject: ELEKTRA MOVIE: MWF Message board speaks Reply with quote

Okay, guys and gals that have seen the Elektra film. What did you think about the movie? And, here is a little poll, plain and simple. Thumbs Up or Thumbs Down?
Lonewolf
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thumbs up, the fight scenes were top notch.
Perfect Death
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After reading so many negative reviews on several sites, I went into seeing the film a bit nervous. I have long been a fan of Elektra since the comic series Elektra:Assassin in the 1980's. The Elektra legend is one that has envoloped many into the assassins fold. It was that instant love of the Greek Tragedy Natchios, that made Marvel and Miller bring her back to life after Bullseye assassinated Elektra. And this time, it was Hollywood that heard the call to bring Elektra, Perfect Death, back to life.
I believe the writers and directors did an excellent job in making a story that could be shown to a PG-13 audience. Most hardcore comic fans know of Elektra's dark past, her time of coldness and inner dispare that she held from everyone. I think the film did a great job at giving the audience a glimpse into that part of Elektra. And then came up with their own play on the transition from Assassin to Heroine. The movie was more about the heroine in Elektra...then her dark past.
Yes, I would have love to seen the trademark headscarf, the blue eyes, the dark hair. Yes, I would have liked if they would have stayed with the facts on Elektra's parents and their deaths in both Elektra and Daredevil. But, heh, it's Hollywood. And Elektra wasn't a real human. She is a story. And like many stories thru the ages, even the great Greek tragedies, stories are changed to suit their audience.
Garner again was able to prove her right to play one of the greatest Marvel Females of all time. Able to show the coldness of the Assassin, to the woman who was broken inside by the tragedies in her life. I was excited during the whole film, and unhappy that it ended.
While this may not be Oscar material. It is a great story and I am was glad to see parents taking their younger daughters to see it. It's a chance for Elektra to live in the hearts of new fans. Maybe when those kids get older, they will go back and read about the darker side of Elektra.
Yeah, I would love to see a movie about Elektra:Assassin. But, I seriously doubt there would have been a large market. Heros are in. And so that is the part we saw.
As for Frank Miller, you can never bury Elektra. She will haunt you and us to our dying days. Just as she has died, she is reborn into new fans hearts over and over. Like Stick says, she is a true warrior.
Oh, and I have to say that I loved how they protrayed Stick! I won't say nothing more so not to spoil it for you. But, Stick just rocks!

Go see the film! It is a must. Jennifer did a great job acting. I was even more impressed this time to see the cold assassin just eminate from Garner's form. I can tell she soaked up the story more since Daredevil. Way to go!

And yeah guys, I liked the DD movie. I know I know..it wasn't perfect to the comic. But, what Hero movie has? I don't think comic transfers all that well to film or TV.

OH, and yes..I am going to go see it again next weekend with friends. I went this time with my own daughter. Who also loved it. I was happy to be at a matine and see the theatre big screen room seat at least 40 people. A surprise in my small town.

Here is a great review I found at http://www.silverbulletcomicbooks.c...77298819354.htm

Elektra starring Jennifer Garner

Posted: Saturday, January 15
By: Ray Tate

No one will mourn when seeing Elektra.

I went to Elektra for one sole reason. Jennifer Garner is Elektra. That's it. Just because a movie is based on a comic book does not mean I will automatically see it. I went to see X-Men for one sole reason. Famke Janssen played Jean Grey. As with X-Men and unlike Daredevil, which I find even more disappointing after seeing Elektra, I came out of the theater pleasantly surprised.

Elektra is a thoughtful action film that has more depth than one would originally suspect. Elektra begins in pure assassin mode, and during these early scenes though beautifully choreographed I still thought to myself "I may not like this film but at least Jennifer Garner is in practically every frame of the film. Money well spent."

Comics attracted me for one pure reason. The heroes. These are the characters that entertain me, and if this film was going to be about an anti-hero, I probably would not have liked it. If this film would have been about assassin versus assassin, I doubt I could have possibly cared. The only thing that would have kept me in the theater would have been my mantra "Jennifer Garner is in practically every frame of the film." Something happens though to Elektra. Her conscience is reawakened, and I'll not say how.

Elektra's rediscovery of her heart changes the entire direction of the movie. It no longer becomes a film celebrating Elektra's assassination skills, which if you ask me is the point of the comic book. It instead becomes a movie about Elektra gaining depth to ultimately become a hero; a champion who is ironically more valiant than the movie Daredevil.

The movie becomes more interesting by the second, and it's not just because of the very talented and very dangerous-looking Jennifer Garner. No, director Rob Bowman of The X-Files makes the film and the characters intriguing. There's something eye-catching happening all the time in this movie. Not one moment drags. Either the body language of Elektra entertains, or the way in which Bowman superimposes images of her training across the screen marvels. A drapery of lush green forest becomes an arena. A beautiful lakeside view gives Elektra no peace of mind, but the viewer becomes enticed. Graffiti scroll and white clad Ninja vividly capture the blend of fantasy and reality. This is simply one well-put together film. Elektra looks expensive, and it pays off.

Elektra boasts wry wit that comes out in genuinely amusing scenes and snappy though sparse dialogue that avoids for the most part cliche speech. The plot is sublime and resonates with mythological underpinnings. The acting is all top notch. Ms. Garner makes Elektra heroic but not Sydney Bristow, a trap that she dances over. Terence Stamp turns in a superb Stick. Kirsten Prout--a child actor and therefore most likely the poison pill one would be forced to swallow--surprises with a remarkably mature performance. The rest of the cast whether portraying hero or villain do not embarrass themselves and enhance the film's worth.

The CGI has been used judiciously. The trailers would have you believe that Elektra is an action by computer film, but instead, the CGI is used for the dark fantasy sequences produced by the super-villains of the piece. The Hand for instance do disintegrate when killed, and in a way that suggests that somebody was watching Buffy the Vampire Slayer and knew they could not repeat the effect. Mostly though, Elektra is a very smart action film. We see Jennifer use staff and sai and engage in close weapon combat, but each fight is different from the last and always the win is more based upon strategy than a gratuitous showing of a body count or blood thirst. Elektra kills a heck of a lot of nasties, but none of these kills are of the Rambo sort. Indeed, when outnumbered or outflanked by super powers, she takes out the opposition plausibly through stealth or through surprise.

The violence in the film has impact, and this is not a movie where we essentially watch a video game being played out. In fact, I would argue that Elektra actually rewards the viewer with a message against the sort of unnecessary violence so prevalent in lesser films. There's so much at stake, both physical and philosophical, in Elektra, and that's what makes it a superior comic book movie.

Addendum:

I was in time to see some of the trailers before Elektra. Based on the trailer The Fantastic Four movie looks immensely promising. Also worth a look may be Mr. and Mrs. Smith starring Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt as married spies who don't realize their targets are each other. It looks like a fun popcorn action/comedy, and of course Jolie is in it, so I need no other reason to see it.
DDmikeMN
Ninja

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I liked it though I should mention I went in with VERY managed expectations. All Elektra The Movie had to be was a movie based on a basic understanding of Elektra The Comic Book. It just had to be a woman assassin, lots of ninjas and ninja-based action and just a little bit of Eastern-sounding mysticism. It had all three and I left the matinee satisfied but not blown away.
Ali Kryton
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was surprised by how much I genuinely liked this film. I initially went in solely because I was curious to see what Bowman did with the direction (I'm a huge X-Files fan and even really enjoyed Reign of Fire; its problems lay with the script, not the direction, which is always beautiful and non-traditional coming from Rob).

Yes, the story took some liberties you're likely to never see in an Elektra comic, but I appreciated the filmmakers' attempt to do something with the character other than strap her in that red outfit and have her kill people for an hour and a half. I felt Garner played a much truer Elektra this time around and I could see some of the Miller Elektra emerging at times, although the film obviously ends up with a different, more optimistic vision of her future than the comics.

I've no idea why the critics are getting such joy out of twisting their knives in this film - there are far more incompetent ones out there to knock - but it's a much more effective piece than Daredevil was and I think it'll enjoy a long life on DVD, where those who missed it in theaters due to the reviews will find themselves pleasantly surprised.
Greg
Fall From Grace

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, this is SPOILER-filled, so read at your own risk...

I saw the Elektra movie last night with my girlfriend (who has never read an Elektra comic in her life, but she DID considerably enjoy the DD movie... which probably means that rgj will discount HER opinion right off the bat... Smile). I found the movie, overall, to be "good"... not great, not terrible... just "good". Here's why...

Casting: Terrance Stamp as Stick was a great choice; and the characterization of Stick in the movie was as close to dead-on as you're likely to get. Stamp did a good job. In the opening scene I was VERY hesitant about his casting, but the pool-hall scene quickly put that to rest. Jennifer Garner still doesn't strike me as a great choice for Elektra... she's just too pretty and innocent looking to be really considered a died-in-the-wool assassin; also, it looked like they tried to "Greece" her by adding a lot of eye-liner and hardening her features a bit; having said that, she did a fairly decent job of pulling it off... and there's just not that many actresses out there that can pull off the moves/stunts that she was required to pull off in this movie. McCabe was superb... probably the best actor, with his limited roles/lines, in the entire movie. The rest of the casting was either average or subpar... specifically 'Abby'... very poor acting on her part.

The Story: Well, the one word that I had coming out of the theater was "riveting". It was, actually, very riveting... it definitely has a lot of drama and it holds your attention. Long time fans of Elektra will be happy, 'cause the movie plays on her role as assassin - cold and ruthless; it seemed to me that she had too much "heart", though (refer to my earlier comment about Garner not being hard enough for this role), and the directors played on this to soften her up considerably. Two other words that came to mind after leaving the theater: Jumbled and confusing. Yes, this movie is really hard to follow... lots of flashbacks, lots of disconnected scenes, lots of plot-lines that just don't make sense (i.e. why in the world did they even put in the "love interest" aspect of Elektra & Mark????). Some of this can be overlooked... my girlfriend actually wanted to laugh at some of it, specifically the final battle scene at her old house where all the sheets - ala the DD movie on the rooftop - are flying around. Smile

The Movie: The movie, overall, worked okay... but there were several things that seemed to be thrown in just for "comic book" affect... like, why in the world do Typhoid, Tattoo and Stone have 'mutant'-type abilities? This was not X-Men 2.5, but Elektra... seemed inappropriate and there was no reasoning behind it. The Hand was potratyed as too 'soft' in their dealings with The Treasure and with Elektra... I just simply don't remember The Hand being soft at all in the comic books. Having said that, though, it was neat having The Hand in the flick... watching them burst into green flames was a joy; the overall idea of good (The Chaste) vs evil (The Hand) was well done, although there was never any thought given to exactly what The Treasure was or how she/he could be used (and Typhoid's comment of "I was once The Treasure"... what was THAT all about?), what were The Hand's ultimate goals, why do The Chaste engage in battle with them, etc.... too many loose plot-threads with absolutely NO tying up.

Soooooooo... without getting too much more long-winded: The movie was "good". I'm glad I saw it, but I don't expect it to do gang-busters at the theaters. Those of you who despised the DD movie - and you know who you are Smile - you'll be pleasantly surprised by the Elektra flick... MUCH less "cheese" (as rgj likes to call it) and more solid drama/rivetness (not a real word, but I like the way it sounds!).

Go see it rgj... I, for one, would love to see your comments on it. I'll even send you the money for you and your fiancee to see it... the popcorn and coke will have to be on someone else... Smile
Darediva
Wake Up

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greg wrote:

Casting: Terrance Stamp as Stick was a great choice; and the characterization of Stick in the movie was as close to dead-on as you're likely to get. Stamp did a good job. In the opening scene I was VERY hesitant about his casting, but the pool-hall scene quickly put that to rest.

Stamp was an excellent selection for Stick, and the one scene where he is shown in white with the cap is near perfect. The only thing about him was that he didn't quite seem "scruffy" enough to exactly do the comic portrayal, but as a cleaned up version, very good.

Greg wrote:
Jennifer Garner still doesn't strike me as a great choice for Elektra... she's just too pretty and innocent looking to be really considered a died-in-the-wool assassin; also, it looked like they tried to "Greece" her by adding a lot of eye-liner and hardening her features a bit; having said that, she did a fairly decent job of pulling it off... and there's just not that many actresses out there that can pull off the moves/stunts that she was required to pull off in this movie.

Jennifer Garner can do the stunts, no joke. I'm sure the guys will like this costume better than the last one. What got me was how she seems to be "waterproof". She got out of the lake from swimming underwater, and her hair was almost dry. Another scene, she comes on the porch during a pouring rain, dry as a bone. Can someone say "MAKEUP?" What was with that excess eyeliner in the last fight scene? *I think I'm going to go fight the duel of my life, so I must wear more makeup...* Laughing

Greg wrote:
McCabe was superb... probably the best actor, with his limited roles/lines, in the entire movie. The rest of the casting was either average or subpar... specifically 'Abby'... very poor acting on her part.

Agreed, MaCabe was fine, and Abby was pretty....awful.

Greg wrote:
The Story: Well, the one word that I had coming out of the theater was "riveting". It was, actually, very riveting... it definitely has a lot of drama and it holds your attention.

Uh, ok. Maybe more so for guys. I wasn't bored, but I tend to watch for the inside jokes and goofs sometimes. Did you see the half-second shot of the DD caricature in the graffiti on the wall of that alley? It's behind Elektra and the pickup truck.

Greg wrote:
Long time fans of Elektra will be happy, 'cause the movie plays on her role as assassin - cold and ruthless; it seemed to me that she had too much "heart", though (refer to my earlier comment about Garner not being hard enough for this role), and the directors played on this to soften her up considerably.

One thing that confused me was the guy in the chair who was talking about how she whispers in your ear just before she kills you. They show Elektra about 15 feet away, you see (and hear) her whisper in his ear, then she's back 15 feet again, lobbing the sai through the back of his chair! Was she doing that disappearing act we kept seeing at odd times? Why would she back up to stab him? Better trajectory? Rolling Eyes

Greg wrote:
Two other words that came to mind after leaving the theater: Jumbled and confusing. Yes, this movie is really hard to follow... lots of flashbacks, lots of disconnected scenes, lots of plot-lines that just don't make sense (i.e. why in the world did they even put in the "love interest" aspect of Elektra & Mark????). Some of this can be overlooked... my girlfriend actually wanted to laugh at some of it, specifically the final battle scene at her old house where all the sheets - ala the DD movie on the rooftop - are flying around. Smile

When I saw the sheets, I started laughing myself, thinking *now that's twice the only way we see Elektra between the sheets* (if you don't count the love scene that was added much later in production to DD, then cut back out for the DC).

Another silly thing...here this house is obviously overgrown and uninhabited. I don't know if it's like this where you live, but houses that are abandoned have the utilities cut off most places. So, how did she light the gas stove, then later turn on that light in the bedroom where she put the girl? Oh, and don't you think blowing the front out of that house would have damaged the rest of it too? Hmmm. Chaos magic.

Greg wrote:
The Movie: The movie, overall, worked okay... but there were several things that seemed to be thrown in just for "comic book" affect... like, why in the world do Typhoid, Tattoo and Stone have 'mutant'-type abilities? This was not X-Men 2.5, but Elektra... seemed inappropriate and there was no reasoning behind it.

Looked like Stone was a stand-in for Luke Cage....brushing off the shotgun pellets, but then a big tree falls on him and he's done for? Well, it was a BIG tree...

Greg wrote:
The Hand was potratyed as too 'soft' in their dealings with The Treasure and with Elektra... I just simply don't remember The Hand being soft at all in the comic books.

They just weren't quite nasty enough, were they?

Greg wrote:
Having said that, though, it was neat having The Hand in the flick... watching them burst into green flames was a joy; the overall idea of good (The Chaste) vs evil (The Hand) was well done,

Pretty neat effect for the disappearing dead ninjas.

Greg wrote:
although there was never any thought given to exactly what The Treasure was or how she/he could be used (and Typhoid's comment of "I was once The Treasure"... what was THAT all about?), what were The Hand's ultimate goals, why do The Chaste engage in battle with them, etc.... too many loose plot-threads with absolutely NO tying up.

Typhoid's comment left me with a *what...huh?* too. After all, they really did not talk about the significance of The Treasure, or what the powers involved. Bet that's lying on the cutting room floor somewhere. And why did Typhoid go *poof* like the ninjas? Stone didn't.

Greg wrote:
Soooooooo... without getting too much more long-winded: The movie was "good". I'm glad I saw it, but I don't expect it to do gang-busters at the theaters. Those of you who despised the DD movie - and you know who you are Smile - you'll be pleasantly surprised by the Elektra flick... MUCH less "cheese" (as rgj likes to call it) and more solid drama/rivetness (not a real word, but I like the way it sounds!).

It was a good popcorn flick, but I won't pay to see it again in the theatre. But I will send rgj a package of microwave Orville Redenbacher's to take with him. Razz

Those who throw dirt merely lose ground.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Doug
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saw it yesterday, and I really liked it. Thumbs Up!
Greg
Fall From Grace

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greg wrote:

The Story: Well, the one word that I had coming out of the theater was "riveting". It was, actually, very riveting... it definitely has a lot of drama and it holds your attention.

Darediva wrote:
Uh, ok. Maybe more so for guys. I wasn't bored, but I tend to watch for the inside jokes and goofs sometimes. Did you see the half-second shot of the DD caricature in the graffiti on the wall of that alley? It's behind Elektra and the pickup truck.

Yeah, I noticed that as well... a very slight, but interesting, nod of the director's cap to DD. Smile

Greg wrote:
Long time fans of Elektra will be happy, 'cause the movie plays on her role as assassin - cold and ruthless; it seemed to me that she had too much "heart", though (refer to my earlier comment about Garner not being hard enough for this role), and the directors played on this to soften her up considerably.

Darediva wrote:
One thing that confused me was the guy in the chair who was talking about how she whispers in your ear just before she kills you. They show Elektra about 15 feet away, you see (and hear) her whisper in his ear, then she's back 15 feet again, lobbing the sai through the back of his chair! Was she doing that disappearing act we kept seeing at odd times? Why would she back up to stab him? Better trajectory? Rolling Eyes

When I saw this scene I immediately thought back to the comic-scene where Elektra drives the sai into Ben Urich in the movie theater... same set-up, same 'feel'; I just kind of marked up the "moving back and forth quickly" thing to her ninja-ness...

Greg wrote:
The Movie: The movie, overall, worked okay... but there were several things that seemed to be thrown in just for "comic book" affect... like, why in the world do Typhoid, Tattoo and Stone have 'mutant'-type abilities? This was not X-Men 2.5, but Elektra... seemed inappropriate and there was no reasoning behind it.

Darediva wrote:
Looked like Stone was a stand-in for Luke Cage....brushing off the shotgun pellets, but then a big tree falls on him and he's done for? Well, it was a BIG tree...

Yeah, I was a little disappointed in how easily she vanquished Stone... I mean, c'mon, STONE... I'm not sure that a tree should have hurt him that bad if bullets bounce of his chest.

I have to admit, though, that overall the 'flaws' of this movie are much fewer than they were in DD. Oh, and I think I missed the FF trailer... did anybody see it? How did it look?
Goddess0Whim
Fall From Grace

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i loved Terrance Stamp as Stick! period! if there were to ever be another DD movie i'd love to see them integrate this character in it some how.
i think at this point i can't say much more w/o repeating everything you've all just said.
but as for the F4 trailer... Very Happy Exclamation YEAH! it was great, it looks like they're staying faithful to the story with just a hint of Ulitimate 4 attitude! this will be great! i'm already counting the days!
Supreme Convoy
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, I'm really borderlining between a Thumbs Up or a Thumbs Down but I regretfully had to go with the later. Some quick comments.

The Good
*Jennifer Garner in red leather... mm...
*TERRANCE STAMP AS STICK!!! I love that guy. I especially love the nod to the comics where Stick hustles people in pool. This guy should have been in the Daredevil movie.
*Fight sequences between Elektra and Kirigi were cool. I can see they were trying to attempt a Hero/Crouching Tiger feel.

The Bad
*I let the creative liberties slide with Typhoid Mary's different powers and Stone being evil, but in the end I just wasn't impressed with them.

The Ugly
*The bad guys die to easily and quickly. A chunk of the fights between Elektra and the baddies don't feel threatening enough.
*There were times where the story just seemed to drone on. I'm all about character development, but they have to make that development interesting enough and follow through (like Elektra's obsessive compulse behavior?).

Like I mentioned about, I'm on the fence on this one. While there were a few things I enjoyed, there were also many things I didn't enjoy about it that I couldn't really recommend it to someone. But you know it's good to hear that people enjoyed this movie. I think what happened was I went in with high fanboy expectations and got disappointed. I wouldn't mind renting the DVD and watching again knowing what I know now for just a movie watching experience (I think that made sense).

Hopefully, the DVD will have cool extras like Daredevil.

And just a side note, when I saw it I didn't get to see the Fantastic Four trailer. But I saw the Sin City teaser. I've seen it like 10 times and I can't get enough of it!
Ali Kryton
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone else notice the little asides scattered throughout the film? Can't remember them all at the moment, but I do recall Elektra putting on that black shirt crooked after swimming, leaving it off the shoulder for a second - a little homage to the original costume.

Also liked how she pinned that guy's hand to the wall with her sai; she definitely knows how that feels, eh? Wink
Bassmonster3000
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well unfortunately I was hyped up to see Elektra. If I had gone in with lower expectations, I might have been pleasantly surprised, that was not the case, however. Quite the opposite, in fact. I found the fight scenes, for the most part, cinematically disjointed by camera trickeration, and too abruptly ended. The story I felt, although adequate, didn't really go anywhere. And as for Jennifer Garner's Elektra... she's a great actress, but her Elektra is far too emotional. Not near as cold as she should be. I found the movie to be so much eye candy. (Nothing wrong with eye candy... but a little more substance would be nice) .... Overall I enjoyed the movie... I just had high expectations and was let down.
with all that said...... I will still buy the DVD.
theVman
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i liked it its not often you get a thoughtfull 'superhero' script. unfortunatly thats not what I wanted from ELEKTRA.

There's not enough ass kicking and too much meaning of life soul searching type stuff.

the pace was patchy and slighty too slow after an loverly opening sequence and the script was a little off but the direction and performance we're excellent.

Just wont appeal to the mainstream hero movie going 12 year olds.
Teklock
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Am I the only one that thought that Elektra was horrible?

You guys keep going on about the story, but, I really didn't see much of a story at all.

There was no reasoning for anything that Elektra did. Everything moved way too fast. She was supposed to a deadly assassin in the beginning of the movie, right? Then, how can one little dinner with an overly-annoying 13 year old and a stoic dad change her ways completely? She instantly changed from heartless assassin to superhero must save them from The Hand because I feel something for this girl just because her mommy died too.

Speaking of The Hand. They weren't villians, they were easily disposable punching bags devoid of personality. None of them said anything, with the exception of Kirigri, who barely said anything more than give orders to the others. And what was with the disappearing act? As one article I read over at IGN put it: "They seemed like vampires from Buffy The Vampire Slayer that didn't get dusted"

Stick was okay. I actually liked Stick, and he seemed to be one of the only things about the movie that was even realitvely close to his comic counterpart. Though, I would of much prefered it if he was still the scruffy old man that would wack DD over the head whenever he didn't get something right.

Typhoid Mary was not okay, however. That character itself has the potential to be such an incredible, deep villian, and they butchered her. They really, really butchered her. Her powers were messed up, she didn't have any kind of double personality at all, and she just wasn't the sexual demon that she is in the comics.

Stone was evil, and didn't say anything.

MaCabe, or whatever his name was, was yet another character with barely any kind of personality at all. This is a guy that assigns assassins to kill people. Then, he sees his most hardcore assassin come to his doorstep with her targets, who she's protecting. And he too, much like Elektra did, had an instant change of heart. Again, making no sense what-so-ever.

There was no reasoning given at all for The Treasure, except that she was some kind of prodigy. And that for some reason, The Hand mistakened Typhoid as the treasue once. Again, we're given no explanation wy.

Honestly, I could go on for hours, but instead, I suggest reading Comics in Context: Elektra Lite. Which, expresses all of my feelings I had for that movie, except does it much better.

And oh, in case you're wondering. I did like the DareDevil movie, and liked the DC much more. So, I guess I'm in an awkward place between the people that liked both those movies and the people that like neither.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The Netflix show and other movies All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: