Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

ELEKTRA MOVIE: MWF Message board speaks
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The Netflix show and other movies
View previous topic :: View next topic  

I viewd the Elektra film and I give it a . . . .
Thumbs Up!
76%
 76%  [ 16 ]
Thumbs Down!
23%
 23%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 21

Supreme Convoy
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, I'm really borderlining between a Thumbs Up or a Thumbs Down but I regretfully had to go with the later. Some quick comments.

The Good
*Jennifer Garner in red leather... mm...
*TERRANCE STAMP AS STICK!!! I love that guy. I especially love the nod to the comics where Stick hustles people in pool. This guy should have been in the Daredevil movie.
*Fight sequences between Elektra and Kirigi were cool. I can see they were trying to attempt a Hero/Crouching Tiger feel.

The Bad
*I let the creative liberties slide with Typhoid Mary's different powers and Stone being evil, but in the end I just wasn't impressed with them.

The Ugly
*The bad guys die to easily and quickly. A chunk of the fights between Elektra and the baddies don't feel threatening enough.
*There were times where the story just seemed to drone on. I'm all about character development, but they have to make that development interesting enough and follow through (like Elektra's obsessive compulse behavior?).

Like I mentioned about, I'm on the fence on this one. While there were a few things I enjoyed, there were also many things I didn't enjoy about it that I couldn't really recommend it to someone. But you know it's good to hear that people enjoyed this movie. I think what happened was I went in with high fanboy expectations and got disappointed. I wouldn't mind renting the DVD and watching again knowing what I know now for just a movie watching experience (I think that made sense).

Hopefully, the DVD will have cool extras like Daredevil.

And just a side note, when I saw it I didn't get to see the Fantastic Four trailer. But I saw the Sin City teaser. I've seen it like 10 times and I can't get enough of it!
Ali Kryton
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone else notice the little asides scattered throughout the film? Can't remember them all at the moment, but I do recall Elektra putting on that black shirt crooked after swimming, leaving it off the shoulder for a second - a little homage to the original costume.

Also liked how she pinned that guy's hand to the wall with her sai; she definitely knows how that feels, eh? Wink
Bassmonster3000
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well unfortunately I was hyped up to see Elektra. If I had gone in with lower expectations, I might have been pleasantly surprised, that was not the case, however. Quite the opposite, in fact. I found the fight scenes, for the most part, cinematically disjointed by camera trickeration, and too abruptly ended. The story I felt, although adequate, didn't really go anywhere. And as for Jennifer Garner's Elektra... she's a great actress, but her Elektra is far too emotional. Not near as cold as she should be. I found the movie to be so much eye candy. (Nothing wrong with eye candy... but a little more substance would be nice) .... Overall I enjoyed the movie... I just had high expectations and was let down.
with all that said...... I will still buy the DVD.
theVman
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i liked it its not often you get a thoughtfull 'superhero' script. unfortunatly thats not what I wanted from ELEKTRA.

There's not enough ass kicking and too much meaning of life soul searching type stuff.

the pace was patchy and slighty too slow after an loverly opening sequence and the script was a little off but the direction and performance we're excellent.

Just wont appeal to the mainstream hero movie going 12 year olds.
Teklock
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Am I the only one that thought that Elektra was horrible?

You guys keep going on about the story, but, I really didn't see much of a story at all.

There was no reasoning for anything that Elektra did. Everything moved way too fast. She was supposed to a deadly assassin in the beginning of the movie, right? Then, how can one little dinner with an overly-annoying 13 year old and a stoic dad change her ways completely? She instantly changed from heartless assassin to superhero must save them from The Hand because I feel something for this girl just because her mommy died too.

Speaking of The Hand. They weren't villians, they were easily disposable punching bags devoid of personality. None of them said anything, with the exception of Kirigri, who barely said anything more than give orders to the others. And what was with the disappearing act? As one article I read over at IGN put it: "They seemed like vampires from Buffy The Vampire Slayer that didn't get dusted"

Stick was okay. I actually liked Stick, and he seemed to be one of the only things about the movie that was even realitvely close to his comic counterpart. Though, I would of much prefered it if he was still the scruffy old man that would wack DD over the head whenever he didn't get something right.

Typhoid Mary was not okay, however. That character itself has the potential to be such an incredible, deep villian, and they butchered her. They really, really butchered her. Her powers were messed up, she didn't have any kind of double personality at all, and she just wasn't the sexual demon that she is in the comics.

Stone was evil, and didn't say anything.

MaCabe, or whatever his name was, was yet another character with barely any kind of personality at all. This is a guy that assigns assassins to kill people. Then, he sees his most hardcore assassin come to his doorstep with her targets, who she's protecting. And he too, much like Elektra did, had an instant change of heart. Again, making no sense what-so-ever.

There was no reasoning given at all for The Treasure, except that she was some kind of prodigy. And that for some reason, The Hand mistakened Typhoid as the treasue once. Again, we're given no explanation wy.

Honestly, I could go on for hours, but instead, I suggest reading Comics in Context: Elektra Lite. Which, expresses all of my feelings I had for that movie, except does it much better.

And oh, in case you're wondering. I did like the DareDevil movie, and liked the DC much more. So, I guess I'm in an awkward place between the people that liked both those movies and the people that like neither.
EightiesCartoon
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I haven't seen it yet, but one must ask...
after all the rumours, does Affleck or Farrell make an appearance!?
I'm betting "no"
james castle
Devil in Cell-Block D

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teklock wrote:
Am I the only one that thought that Elektra was horrible?

Oh, I wouldn't worry about that. It's been universally panned so you're not alone.

So why can't you see the funny side?
Why aren't you laughing?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The Netflix show and other movies All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: