Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

Is Daredevil 2 still a possibility?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The Netflix show and other movies
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Will we see a Daredevil 2 film within the next 5 years?
Yes, Definately
34%
 34%  [ 9 ]
Signs Point To Yes
19%
 19%  [ 5 ]
Outlook Not So Good
26%
 26%  [ 7 ]
My Reply Is No
15%
 15%  [ 4 ]
Cannot Predict Now
3%
 3%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 26

rgj
Hardcore

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 4:29 pm    Post subject: Is Daredevil 2 still a possibility? Reply with quote

Marvel's vice chairman, Peter Cuneo, expresses disappointment in ELEKTRA film.

http://www.fool.com/news/commentary/2005/commentary05012404.htm?source=eptyholnk303100&logvisit=y&npu=y&bounce=y&bounce2=y

My quesiton to the board is this: Will Daredevil 2 see the light of day? Look into your magic 8 ball and share your thoughts.

rgj
Pete
Fall From Grace

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

(sighs)
Well, I'll always thought there could be one. Now, after reading this link, the signs point more and more to 'yes'.

This guy actually says something like 'we've (Marvel) had nine successful movies in a row' and then something like 'if it makes money, there will be sequels'. Considering the profit made on the first movie (worldwide sales plus DVD sales and rental) and the fact that Elektra is a spinoff and not a sequel, I should imagine that when MSJ's Ghost Rider trip is over, they'll have had the major casting and location rec's already underway.

I believe we'll get Mr Fear as the bad guy in some kind of reworking of Guardian Devil and a release date of around Feb 07. I nominate rgj's place for everyone here to get together to pop open the champagne.

Hey, you asked.
Goddess0Whim
Fall From Grace

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i say why not, they made they're money, and they are happy.
personally i am happy with the DC, and would be satisfied if that was the only thing that was left, but they say more will happen if money is made. and like Pete said, Eleektra is a spinoff not a sequel. the studio separtated the character as far as they could from the DD movie before releasing it and while making it, so there is not as much of an expectance now that a DD2 will be dependant on Elektra's revenew.

Last edited by Goddess0Whim on Thu Jan 27, 2005 8:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lonewolf
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We better get Daredevil 2, the first one was great *atleast I enjoyed it Smile*
theVman
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With Affleck and Garner now dating I'd say now is the time to do if they wated to

But would ELEKTRA return in DD2?????
james castle
Devil in Cell-Block D

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I punched "Outlook not so good". Obviously, I don't think there's gonna be a DD2. At the same time, I admit that maybe there might be one. Even I'm not so crazy enought to say that I'm 100% sure there won't be another DD. On that note, everyone who said "yes, definetly" is a little crazy. I know a lot of people really want there to be a DD2 but there's no reason anyone should take it as a given at this point.

The argument that everyone trots of as to why there's going to be a DD2 is this: if the first one makes money then why not make a second? As long as Marvel's making money they're happy right? I think this view is simplistic for a few reasons:

1. Marvel has to have some sort of long term view point here. There's no doubt that comic book movies are doing very well right now but the fact is that if the various comic companies/studies keep putting out trash (Catwoman/Elektra/etc.) people are going to stop going. Consider pop music for a second. Music companies put out horribly, awful pop music because it sells. The thing is, though, it's always short term. Think of the boy bands. Remember when boy bands were all the rage? But they're gone now. The weight of their own suckiness crushed them. Bye bye boy bands. But wait, the pop music industry is still there. How? Because they just change style. When boy bands collapse another pop genre (i.e. "punk" female singers) show up.

What's the point? Well, unlike the music industry, Marvel can't change genres. If the popularity of comic movies dries up (as a result of the comic companies/studios making literally anything as long as they'll make money) that's it. No more movies for Marvel. They *have* to know that and have to have some sort of respect for quality outside of profits. So it's not all about money.

2. This is a little more DD specific: fool me once shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. Fool me a third time....comon, no one's gonna go see a third crap movie. Yes, the original DD made money. But remember that it had a cool trailer and opened vitually unopposed. Plus, it was pre-Catwoman/The Hulk/Punisher. Most importantly it was pre-Elektra. I understand that as far as actual content goes Elektra tries to distance itself from DD. However, this isn't the case with marketing. All the ads I've seen directly reference DD. And look at the result it had on Elektra's box office showing. And now it bombed. Look, I know lots of people on this board liked the movie but you have to admit (most because it's fact) that DD and Elektra have both been panned by the critics. Would Marvel really try to make a third one after the first two got trashed?

3. Back to the first point, kinda. Okay, even assuming that it is all about short term profit (which I've argued it isn't), you gotta admit that the amount of profit counts too. Look, okay, imagine you could sell lemons in such a way as to make 10 cents a lemon. At the same time you can sell apples and make 20 cents an apple. What are you going to do? Sell apples. Marvel doesn't have an infinate amount of resources. They can't go around making every movie that would make any profit. That would be 1) impossible and 2) stupid because the market would be flooded. No, no, Marvel has to pick and choose and release 2-4 movies a year. Which ones are they going to release? One's they think they're going to make a lot of money on. An argument could be made that DD2 would make a profit. But you gotta admit it wouldn't be a very big profit. So why should Marvel bother. Why wouldn't they just make a sequal in one of their successful franchises. Or why not try to make something new to make a brand new franchise. The money is in the franchises and between DD and Elektra, the DD/Elektra franchise is dead.

Therefore: outlook not so good.

So why can't you see the funny side?
Why aren't you laughing?
EightiesCartoon
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I state here and now that I’m an optimist, and I hope sometime soon a DD2 appears.
I also state here that I believe money talks, and bull…well, you know the rest Wink
The link provided by RGJ is a great argument as to how the big gun execs think, and that is, simply, with this symbol: $
And hey, I'm all for capitalism Very Happy
To counter James' points regarding the profitability of a DD2, check out this link:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/3245419.stm

james castle wrote:
An argument could be made that DD2 would make a profit. But you gotta admit it wouldn't be a very big profit. So why should Marvel bother

On the contrary, Daredevil helped boost News Corps profits for 2003 via DVD sales ALONE in a big way. DD2 may not make as much, but if it contributes to a potential $422 million net profit (thats a heckava lot of lemons and apples) for News Corp, I think they’d be excited at the chance of marketing the DD franchise with a sequel and all the capitalist goodies that will bring (DVD, toys, comics), don't you?
Yes, the market is flooded with comic book movies and yes, I agree that to those who are not into comic book films are steering clear of them (due to the decrease in quality a la Catwoman, Elektra) but we are in the age of the almighty dollar, and all worship at the DVD shrine, this is where extra cash is made and DD made approx $51 million in DVD and VHS sales alone
I’ll grab the Elektra flick on DVD because I haven’t had the chance to catch it at the box office, and I can safely say a high percentage of people will also
james castle
Devil in Cell-Block D

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off, Cartoon, the link you provide has virtually nothing to do with what we're talking about. Okay, so the giant media conglomerate that happens to own the studio that made DD made a lot of money? Um. So what?

I can see how it's vaguely related insofar as it does give a nod to DVD sales (along with advertising (?)). And yes, DVD sales are something to take into consideration. But the fact is that better movies are also going to have better DVD sales. So, you know, it doesn't change my argument.

As for everything being dictated by money...I agree. But I'm saying, even on those terms Marvel and Fox would be nuts to make another DD because they could just as easily use that money to make a movie that they thought they would make more money on.

Look, capitalism (as silly as it is), isn't entirely random. Over time the things that are good or at least popular are the things that last. DD was neither good nor popular. Therefore, I'm better the franchise is dead.

Why aren't you laughing?
EightiesCartoon
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

james castle wrote:
The argument that everyone trots of as to why there's going to be a DD2 is this: if the first one makes money then why not make a second? As long as Marvel's making money they're happy right?

Isn’t this what we’re talking about?
DD2 and the argument over how much it could potentially make for Marvel?

james castle wrote:
First off, Cartoon, the link you provide has virtually nothing to do with what we're talking about. Okay, so the giant media conglomerate that happens to own the studio that made DD made a lot of money? Um. So what?

So what? Um, $422 million net profit? Hello?
I quote from the site (the relevant part so its made clear to you): “with the films Daredevil and Phone Booth being particularly successful”
DD was a success profit wise.

My argument (which is intrinsically linked to the original argument you were making, with the money making and so on) is that money talks and based on their profit records for 2003 regaridng Daredevil, hey, Daredevil 2 could be in with a shot
daredevil99x
Fall From Grace

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not going to happen. Money talks, but it evidently didn't talk loud enough. MSJ's Ghost Rider is going to blow. I mean, who cares about Ghose Rider? That movie's not going to make any money, and if MSJ's career tanks who will push for a Daredevil 2? We want it, but that's not enough.
Goddess0Whim
Fall From Grace

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

who cared about Blade? i certainly don't? atleast in comic book form. and i can say the same thing about Ghost Rider.
i honestly think the best thing ever done with him was when he posed as the Spirit of Christmas in a What The?!
one way or the other the fact that they were able to turn a not so hot to begin with character into a pretty hot character in the movies cause he didn't fit the mold in any way might appeal once again. Blade 2 & 3 didn't get as many rave reviews, sure. but i know many a people who absolutely LOVE the 1st one, and still can't understand what-so-ever how he could fit into a comic book universe.
maybe they can do the same with Ghost Rider, because he's more on the fringes than most, more so than DD, and almost as much as Blade.
james castle
Devil in Cell-Block D

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who cares about Blade? No one.

Who cares about vampires? Everybody. Vampires rock and people love them and that's why there's a blade franchise.

Why aren't you laughing?
Goddess0Whim
Fall From Grace

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that was my point, watching a kick butt vampire was better than reading about one.
and no one atleast that i knows cares to read about the Spirit of Vengence, that could really do some spectacularlly horrible things, maybe more people would care to watch those spectacularly horrible things and Ghost Rider won't bomb.
rgj
Hardcore

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GOW wrote:
maybe more people would care to watch those spectacularly horrible things and Ghost Rider won't bomb.

I don't think most people know what a Spirit of Vengence is (as opposed to them knowing what a vampire is). And, the average joe blow, non-reader of comics, moviegoer doesn't know who GR is. Still, this movie does have one thing going for it. Like DAREDEVIL, GR has star power. Nic Cage. Many people love Nic Cage and will gravitate to this movie (which I do think will sound/look interesting to the average joe blow when they release the trailor). I honestly think, this movie will do pretty good box office-wise, Nic Cage totally carried National Tresure (not exactly the best written movie). So, yeah, despite MSJ, GR might very well do well at the box office.

rgj
TheManWithoutFear
Fall From Grace

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rgj wrote:
GOW wrote:
maybe more people would care to watch those spectacularly horrible things and Ghost Rider won't bomb.

I don't think most people know what a Spirit of Vengence is (as opposed to them knowing what a vampire is). And, the average joe blow, non-reader of comics, moviegoer doesn't know who GR is. Still, this movie does have one thing going for it. Like DAREDEVIL, GR has star power. Nic Cage. Many people love Nic Cage and will gravitate to this movie (which I do think will sound/look interesting to the average joe blow when they release the trailor). I honestly think, this movie will do pretty good box office-wise, Nic Cage totally carried National Tresure (not exactly the best written movie). So, yeah, despite MSJ, GR might very well do well at the box office.

rgj

and carrying that tune... Eva Mendes Very Happy

www.UltimateCentral.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The Netflix show and other movies All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: