Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

pool hall duel dd v bullseye
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who would win a game of pool daredevil/bullseye/stick
daredevil
53%
 53%  [ 8 ]
bullseye
46%
 46%  [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 15

ozddzealot
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 1:22 am    Post subject: pool hall duel dd v bullseye Reply with quote

due to slightly positive encouragement i have decided to ask this question as a thread:

dd v bullseye who would rule the pool hall?

I believe dd would have the slightest advantage due to his ability to map the surface of the table with his rgj radar sense. I also believe bullseye suffers from mental duress under pressure.

chaos theory dictates that you can never exactly predict where the balls go after you've played your shot another point in favour of dd.

I do concede that they'd be playing for the right to challenge stick.

I want to here about other contenders for the title
Darediva
Wake Up

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No question in my mind. DD would run the table, like he did in DD: Yellow. And he wouldn't even have to tell Helen Keller jokes while he did it.

Surely Stick would have taught Matt a little pool along with everything else? All work and no play....

Those who throw dirt merely lose ground.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Blind Alley
Tree of Knowledge

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a problem : how can DD (or Stick, by the way) could SEE the color of a ball ?
I mean, the radar can not distinguish a striped ball from a non striped...
So my vote goes for Bullseye.
train
Guardian Devil

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt can distinguish the color of a ball by the "amount" of light reflected/absorbed....someone on the other thread said that the winner would be determined by who breaks. I agree with that answer.
rgj
Hardcore

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The answer to me is clearly Bullseye. This is why. Yes, Daredevil is a very good shot. His radar does come in handy and if he's allowed to fully conentrate on it (without any other stumulus intefering) he can get a precise map of the table. But, that's all he gets. A map. That has nothing to do with the physical action of changing his aim into motion. More often than not, DD will usually hit his target. But, if DD is a great shot, then Bullseye is a dead on shot. I believe that Bullseye, by nature, will always find his mark and will do so, more often at a higher rate than DD.

See, when Bulls and DD fight and Bullseye "misses," the truth is he doesn't miss. Daredevil just gets out of the way. It's kind of like in the DD movie, where Bullseye obsesses over "missing" DD. The problem is he didn't miss. The throwing stars got to the point he wanted them to get to. DD just moved out of the way (you know, radar and all).

Can DD run the table before Bullseye's turn. Sure. Many times in fact. But, Bullseye will alway do it.

rgj
james castle
Devil in Cell-Block D

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, finally a worthy debate. Who would win at pool? I say DD because his radar gives him uncanny aim. On one hand, what rgj is saying (that DD gets a map and nothing else) is, in theory, true. On the other hand, it's an unspoken rule in the DD universe that his radar/map abilities give him other special (and usually undiscussed) powers.

For example, one of the things DD does very well is dodge bullets and other things. The general feeling is that he can do this stuff because of his radar. But that doesn't make any sense. Think about it for a second. Okay, so DD can "see" the bullet and somehow *that* allows him to dodge it? Why? Pretend, for a moment that someone shoots an exercise ball at you. You know those giant red things? Now, say it's going as fast as a bullet. Now, you can see it, because it's huge and red, but there's no way you're gonna dodge it. In the real world seeing does not equal dodging. In DD however, that's exactly what it means.

I think the same principle would apply to pool. DD can "see" the balls and that's all he needs to be able to sink em.

So why can't you see the funny side?
Why aren't you laughing?
Goddess0Whim
Fall From Grace

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

james castle wrote:
On the other hand, it's an unspoken rule in the DD universe that his radar/map abilities give him other special (and usually undiscussed) powers.

For example, one of the things DD does very well is dodge bullets and other things. The general feeling is that he can do this stuff because of his radar. But that doesn't make any sense. Think about it for a second. Okay, so DD can "see" the bullet and somehow *that* allows him to dodge it? Why? Pretend, for a moment that someone shoots an exercise ball at you. You know those giant red things? Now, say it's going as fast as a bullet. Now, you can see it, because it's huge and red, but there's no way you're gonna dodge it. In the real world seeing does not equal dodging. In DD however, that's exactly what it means.

True his radar would let him "see" the bullets coming at him rather easily, but i always figured it was that in combination of his uncanny hearing alerting to him that the gun was preparing to go off in the 1st place that would give him the real edge.

anyway! on the topic of pool: i'm going with DD for the simple fact that my Grandfather as well always claimed he could never "see" things very well, yet every pool bar he ever went to he stole everyone's money! same with my uncle with the coke bottle glasses, it's creepy, and if i was older when they were around i'd be broke.
so i say, don't trust visually challenged people in pool halls!

Last edited by Goddess0Whim on Sun Jan 30, 2005 10:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Forrest
Lowlife

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bullseye throws stuff, which is different than rolling objects, like pool balls. ...So, DD would win because he's the reason I got into comics! Razz
rgj
Hardcore

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forest wrote:
Bullseye throws stuff, which is different than rolling objects, like pool balls. ...So, DD would win because he's the reason I got into comics!

Wrong. Bullseye has been know to launch things from his teeth and hit the mark. His marksmanship is not limeted to something held in hand and thrown. Playing pool (not exactly a throw) would be a snap for him.

Also, GOW makes a great point about all of DD's senses coming into play when deflecting/evading a bullet. I think Chichester himself wrote something to the effect as not only did his radar trace the bullets as they apporached, but his body could actually feel the air that was being pushed forward in the air as it traveled. Chichester (or it could be someone else, but I know I've read it) also wrote about the physiology of someone who is about to fire. DD could actually hear the forearm muscles as they began to flex as the trigger is pulled. He could hear the pulse/heartbeat, respiration and smell the sweat of someone who is just about to pull the trigger as well. All these things come into play when Matt faces the buisness end of a pistol.

As for the pool thing. Plain and simply put, Bullseye is the better marksman. Yes, DD is damn good. Bulls is better, by rule. Not only could Bulls sink all the shots, but if you pissed him off, he could purpously launch the cue ball and hit you right between the eyes. Gives a new meaning to the term "scratch."

Now, this debate is fun and all. But the real question is "Who's the better quilter?? Alice or Daredevil (with his highly acute sense of touch??). Hmmm.

rgj
TheManWithoutFear
Fall From Grace

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, not to take this poll to seriously or anything but really Bullseye would beat Daredevil in a game of Pool. Marksmanship is his thing...

www.UltimateCentral.com
EightiesCartoon
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A topic most worthy...!
I'm with RGJ here, the Bulls will get it over DD
Although due to the mental state, I'm sure he'd crack on the black and sink it thus giving him yet another reason to further his "obscene" vendetta against the man in red
fox_limbo
Humanity's Fathom

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm.

I thought "geez, this is really kind of silly".... like one of those, who would win in an arm-wrestling match The Thing or the Hulk?? Who would really know... and, really, at the end of the day, who really cares (that is part of the reason I thought the whole "Marvel Vs. DC" was soooooo frickin' absurd it bordered on hilarious).

However, on another hand, though, this is kind of an interesting little "what if", if I allowed myself the time to wrap my mind around it.

So, after thinking about it...

Both of these "pool hall sharks" rely on their own talents. But if you really think about it, their talents (in relation to sharking a pool table) is incredibly similar.

Bullseye's innate marksmanship can be akin to a radar (granted, it is NOT, in the purest sense, a "genuine" radar like Matt Murdocks, but still a "radar".... let me explain). It is clear that Bullseye's visual perception (depth and peripheral visions) are higher than that of an average man/woman. The athlete is in a, what they call a "zone" when his/her actions are on a knee-jerk trigger and never fully thinks about it. It is all done as they see everything in an amplified light. They see everything happening and almost "predict" how and where things will go. Joe Montana, Dan Marino, John Elway, Brett Favre and Payton Manning know this "zone". Bullseye has trained himself to recognize and stay in this "zone". That is his radar, so to speak.

Matt's radar in examination is incredibly similar, but on a completely different plane. Matt Murdock has built his house, eats his lunch and drools in his sleeps in this "zone". He lives it. He breathes it. It is much a much more layered and textured "vision", in comparison, much more focused and amplified.

Therefore, I'd have to give the nod to Matt Murdock.... but only barily, given this particular circumstance.

However, it would come down to who gets the chance to break first, because whomever that is they WILL run the table, right then and there.

So, now comes the competition within the competition.... the coin toss to see who breaks first. Neither one, Matt Murdock NOR Bullseye would concede the chance to break, esspecially considering their personal rivalry. So there would be a coin-toss. Whether one or the other, or even a neutral person flips a coin, there is fair speculation that both can "see" and "predict" the path of the flipping coin to determine whether the coin falls is heads or tails.

In this case, however, I don't think Bullseye's mind is particularly trained in something THIS peripheral; where as Matt would be more apt to focus and pin-point and "predict" the coin toss.

So, yeah, Matt Murdock would win out. Very Happy
Clayton Blind Love
Redemption

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe who gets to break first is determined by the players having to shoot a ball at other end of the table and having it bounce back towards the starting end. Closest to the end without touching gets to break.

Bullseye would win. After 87 attempts to figure out who gets to go first, Daredevil gets distracted by the pretty girl sitting at table twelve with strawberry lipstick. Its always a woman that brings Matt down. Wink

C.
DDmikeMN
Ninja

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hold to my point from the earlier thread. In a game of pool between Bullseye and DareDevil, whomever breaks runs the table. I doubt either of them would miss a shot. Especially, as it was pointed out before, they were playing nine ball.
ozddzealot
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always thought one of the things that psyched bullseye out was matt's ability to be as good as him at what he does, his ego could never deal with a challenger, and he would so fall over with a bit of verball gamesmanship, if that dipstick could get to him in ''bullseye" matt would have him eating his heart out with frustration.

and for all you guys that say bulleye is a better marksman, it has never been conceded in any comic i've read that bullseye outpointed dd in a contest for accuracy... i defy anyone to prove me wrong. And hello.... radar is what you use to target things...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: