Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

Who is the better writer?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The off-topic section
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who is the better writer?
Neil Gaiman
18%
 18%  [ 2 ]
Alan Moore
63%
 63%  [ 7 ]
Frank Miller
18%
 18%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 11

Dorian Gray
Tree of Knowledge

Location: I live in a silver mine, and I call it Beggar's Tomb

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 11:41 pm    Post subject: Who is the better writer? Reply with quote

Neil Gaiman, Alan Moore, or Frank Miller and why?
Greg
Fall From Grace

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to say Alan Moore. No disrespect to Miller or Gaiman, since I worship everything that both of those guys put out as well; but Moore has such an incredible range... he wrote stunning "horror" with Swampthing; he redefined superheroes with his work at Image; he wrote some of the funniest dialog I've ever read with Bojeffries and some of his ABC books; From Hell was an incredibly detailed historical accounting of the Ripper murders; his Tom Strong is a great look at the science-hero; on and on and on... the man has captured almost every single writing genre that a person can capture.

Miller is a brilliant hard-boiled crime-noir writer (ala DD and Sin City), but - other than 300 - that seems to be his niche market; Gaiman writes brilliant fantasy-operas... Sandman, Stardust, 1602... even his books are myth/fantasy based.

So, for breadth and depth and overall brilliance in all categories, my tip of the hat goes to Alan Moore.

By the way, one other writer that probably is deserving of being in that good company of Moore, Miller & Gaiman (sounds like a law-firm!) is Grant Morrison... BRILLIANT writer.
Dorian Gray
Tree of Knowledge

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I siad Gaiman because I liked all the stuff that he has done just a little bit over what Moore has done. There is a better poll of this over at newsarama.com, last time I checked it was Gaiman 19, Moore 22, Miller 9.
james castle
Devil in Cell-Block D

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watchmen, V, League, it's Moore hands down. Killing Joke? Comon. Greg is dead on: it's the range that makes Moore unreal.

So why can't you see the funny side?
Why aren't you laughing?
ozddzealot
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dorian

you are an utter utter bastard (to quote vivian) (I really hope you get the joke) i feel hugely torn for you making me choose! but even when i threw garth ennis (hello..... preacher) into the mix I still couldn't top Moore, and to not mention Gaiman in my second breath

I also think Greg short changed Miller by saying his niche, he's equal third on my list but give me liberty had some very strong moments.

Greg was right to include Morrison into this company though... he rocks but i've always had a weakness for the pommy writers.

and jc seriously if DC want to throw money at miller to do batman ad infinitum shoot the editor. Miller's ouvre is much larger than killing joke and not to acknowledge it is a bit of a cheap shot.

...but just to clarify... all hail moore!

mark
DDmikeMN
Ninja

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll agree with Alan Moore being the best of the three. I know there is a stong element of respect for Neil Gaiman because of when most of us started reading comic books and for Frank Miller because this is a DD board. But Alan is the best writer.

His writing is meticulously researched but that research leads to a nuanced story instead of being inflicted on the reader. While the reasoning rides behind the scenes, a wonderful story unfolds in its complexity. You could even go so far as to say Alan's writing is the one of the three whose stories need the illustrations the least. Or rather his are the stories which are illuminated least by the art.

Which means his stories are told through the writing itself. Not that the art is a crutch for Gaiman or Miller. But the strength of the writing is what makes Moore's stuff work. I think he would be a sucessful writer on some level whether he was in comic books or not.
Dorian Gray
Tree of Knowledge

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ozddzealot wrote:
i feel hugely torn for you making me choose!

I just felt like asking a tough question, for a couple of reasons.

1. It was my 100th post and I felt like I started out asking a tough question, who is better DD artist Maleev or Mazz, so I thought my 100th post should be a though question.

2. I only have Moore Gaiman and Miller because a couple of my friends and I were arguing about these three writers.

3. I am bored as hell. Gave up TV (which includes video games and DVDs) for lent.

4. It worked on another site, it ened up being Gaiman 20, Moore 27, Miller 9

I picked Gaiman over Moore primarily on the fact that Gaiman has constantally suceeded in more mediums. His comics, books, and movie all have great reviews and are all pretty much great. Moore does have more skill at telling different stories but I thought having skill in different mediums was a little bit more important. But it probably helps Gaiman that I am reading American Gods right now and am loving every minute of it.
The Privateer
Redemption

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

james castle wrote:
Watchmen, V, League, it's Moore hands down. Killing Joke? Comon. Greg is dead on: it's the range that makes Moore unreal.

Greg & JC are totally right, Alan Moore is the best of the bunch. Killing Joke is excellent twisted Joker. Twisted Evil

Apart from 1602, I haven't read any Gaiman, though I watched Neverwhere on TV if anyone remembers that, really enjoyed it too. I have all the original Sandman back issues, but have never read a single one, bought them as part of a bundle.

Miller is second, Ronin, Dark Knight returns, Give me Liberty, all excellent reads, but V for Vendetta, Watchmen and LOEG are in a different league for me. League get it, ha ha, no pun intended. Wink
Dorian Gray
Tree of Knowledge

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Privateer wrote:
I have all the original Sandman back issues, but have never read a single one
:

Shocked Blasphamy. Go, right now, read them. What are you waiting for, right now go! Stop reading this message go right now. Oh for God's sake, GO! And buy American Gods, and then read it. GO!
kingforaday
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I voted for Neil Gaiman because of my love for the Sandman series and the 1602 story. I loved his neverwhere series that was produced by the BBC. Sure it looked cheesy and the acting at some points were absurd, but enjoyed the story thouroughly. Also I am looking forward to seeing the Mirrormask movie.

I feel this is a bit of a poor decision on my part as I have not opened myself to alot of stories by the other writers. I've only read the Frank Miller series from 80's Daredevil and Elektra Lives; and have only read the watchmen by Alan Moore. Maybe I should get my s--- together and buy some. Twisted Evil
The Privateer
Redemption

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will dig them out of the loft for you then. I was reading Sleeper and Global Frequency Back issues, but I will slot in some Sandman then. Laughing

I was planning on funding my retirement on selling them on eBay!
cas
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Privateer wrote:
I will dig them out of the loft for you then. I was reading Sleeper and Global Frequency Back issues, but I will slot in some Sandman then. Laughing

I was planning on funding my retirement on selling them on eBay!

By all means sell them, but buy the trades if you do! They have pride of place in one of my bookcases (and it's amazing how many people are drawn to them by the look of the set together, with the rainbow of spines running along the bookshelf - I have ways of making my non-comic-reading friends take note of the medium).

I have to vote for Moore, though. I do love both Miller and Gaiman, and Gaiman in particular has captured my interest with his children's books as well as his work in comics. But Alan Moore, as others have pointed out, has such a range. No-one has yet mentioned Promethea, but it's another fine, fine example of his writing, and quite different to anything else I have read of his. Quite breathtaking work, in my opinion.

Carrie
fox_limbo
Humanity's Fathom

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow!! What a great question...

This is a difficult question to answer. But for me, it is a two-man race between Neil Gaiman and Alan Moore. Everyone else is pretty much lagging behind (yes, even Frank Miller.... which is pretty much blasphemous around these parts, isn't it?). And I do mean everyone. These two authors are operating, in this medium, on a completely different level than all others.

Neil Gaiman is phenomenal. His work, while it delves mostly in fantasy, is incredible well-told. And writes some of the best endings to stories that I have ever seen. They just feel right. Writers like Brian Michael Bendis and Stephen King --granted Stephen's never written a comic book, I'm just using him as a high-profile example-- should take notes (as much as I respect those authors' work, for the most part, they simply CANNOT write endings to their stories. I mean they really can't. Analyze them.). Neil Gaiman writes pretty good characterization... sometimes, it's hit and miss, but mostly it is on.

"Sandman" was very well done. And the thing that I enjoyed most was watching Neil grow as an author as the series comtinued, and ultimately (sadly), concluded. His range within the genre of fantasy is breth-taking. "Neverwhere" was an interesting concept that was pure Gaiman. "American Gods" was wonderfully told. "A Small Film About John Bolton" was pure Neil Gaiman sense of humor and an interesting and very fine directorial debut.

While Neil range lies within, specifically, the fantasy genre, Alan Moore is the definition of "wide range"... in the comics field or anywhere else (have you read his first, and so far only, novel "The Voice of the Fire"?). "Watchemen". A classic. "V for Vendetta". A dark examination... the comic books equivilant to George Orwell's "1984"... that is very well written. "Promethea" is just plain stunning. "From Hell", "The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen".... I could go on and on and on, but I don't have to, because Alan Moore had already done that. And that's the point. Absolutely brillient body of work.

As people have already said, Alan's range is the clincher in this debate about these two, very fine, authors. And I happen to agree with it.

Even Neil Gaiman, himself, had said Alan Moore is a genius. And how can I possibly disagree with that??

But Neil Gaiman, to me, is also a genius... he doesn't have to take a back seat to anyone.
Greg
Fall From Grace

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fox_limbo wrote:
(have you read his first, and so far only, novel "The Voice of the Fire"?).

I read Voice of the Fire several months ago... a VERY good book for anybody that appreciates really good writing; this is recommended especially to you Brits, as it focuses primarily on one little English town. HIGHLY recommended.

Also, just for kicks and grins and to - once again - reinforce the breadth and depth of Mr Alan Moore... has anybody heard his spoken-word CDs or his few music-CDs? He worked with David J of Bauhaus and Love & Rockets fame on a handfull of albums... quite interesting stuff, actually!
Dorian Gray
Tree of Knowledge

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fox_limbo wrote:
(have you read his first, and so far only, novel "The Voice of the Fire"?)

If I could find it anywhere I would read it. But the best thing that the very small town I live in has is a small Waldenbooks in a now very small mall, thanks a lot Wal Mart for that. I'll probably just end up eventually ordering off of the internet.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The off-topic section All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: