Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

Should Daredevil get a ongoing MAX title?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Yes
50%
 50%  [ 5 ]
No
50%
 50%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 10

The Overlord
Paradiso

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 11:39 am    Post subject: Should Daredevil get a ongoing MAX title? Reply with quote

Corsair
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 1:21 pm    Post subject: What is MAX? Reply with quote

Forgive me for being ignorant, but what is a MAX title? Thanks.

Corsair
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
james castle
Devil in Cell-Block D

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there still a MAX line? Sigh. Not only should there not be a DD MAX title, Marvel should realize that they're not DC and that Vertigo is untouchable and just pack the whole MAX nonsense in.

So why can't you see the funny side?
Why aren't you laughing?
fox_limbo
Humanity's Fathom

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MAX titles is, more or less, the Marvel equivilant to DC's Vertigo line. It is a more adult, darker, edgier line.

Bendis had written "Alias" as the flagship title to the MAX line (and if you have not read "Alias", I highly, highly recommend it!!), before they decided to switch gears, tone it down and turn it into "The Pulse", which is more grounded as a PG rated title, that follows where "Alias" had left off.

Daredevil certainly lends itself to having a MAX title, with him being portrayed at present in a dark, crime noir-ish setting that Bendis has managed to do. A second Daredevil on-going series would always be a good thing, depending on the quality of the work within that particular series.

Whether or not Daredevil needs a MAX title, however, I'd have to say no, due to the fact that Daredevil already has a base of more mature/adult readership in comparison to other Marvel titles. Therefore, it would be pretty much redundant and an example of Marvel turning over rocks to find an extra buck or two.
noypi-me
Tree of Knowledge

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think the MK line is better suited for DD.

he's not really as violent as the punisher so he does'nt need that much freedom violence-wise, and he's not as bright and sunny as spiderman, and needs a little grit in him. so for me the MK line is just right for DD.

...are you talking to me..."
fox_limbo
Humanity's Fathom

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

james castle wrote:
Is there still a MAX line? Sigh. Not only should there not be a DD MAX title, Marvel should realize that they're not DC and that Vertigo is untouchable and just pack the whole MAX nonsense in.
]

That is very much true.
Dorian Gray
Tree of Knowledge

Location: I live in a silver mine, and I call it Beggar's Tomb

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He doesn't need one, but I would pick an on going MAX title over an Ultimate title.
fox_limbo
Humanity's Fathom

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dorian Gray wrote:
He doesn't need one, but I would pick an on going MAX title over an Ultimate title.

Yep.

An Ultimate Daredevil would pretty much be a laugh. So would a MAX Daredevil title (or, perhaps, a bit lesser so).

I would be all for a second Daredevil title grounded in current continuity (and again I say "nay" to a Daredevil MAX title).

--and that pretty much opens the door for Stephan to bleet his trumpet, stating "you want a laugh, look at Bendis and his idea of continuity...", but I digress--

But if a second ongoing did come out (Ultimate, MAX or otherwise), Daredevil would creep uncomfortably to Spider-Man status as a mainstream superhero publication. And I'm not sure if that will fit (which, for me, would fit about as much as Daredevil, side by side with the Avengers, waging an intergalactic war with the Skrulls.... it would just be a big, friggin', ugly train-wreck). Daredevil is arguably a "cult" status book (although, the movie, I think, began to change that). It is much more incognito, in comparison, than say a widely public Spider-Man. Therefore, the perception and ulimately the creative interpretation of the character would shift.

IF Daredevil happens to get a second title and IF Daredevil becomes an Avenger, the public would continue to chastize Daredevil as a Batman rip-off (multiple titles, a person who works alone in a gritty, urban setting, being shoved into a team setting).

I just don't think it would work.

Still, despite my ranting, a second ongoing title (non-Ultimate and non-MAX, thank you very much) would be something that I would still embrace, if the quality is there.
Goddess0Whim
Fall From Grace

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no, i think most people said why.
plus look at the Punisher Max title. i don't buy it personally, my BF does, but it's redundant now. the story seems to get bogged down in the fact they have to justify it as a MMAX. they set up a Punisher mission, he charges in, then people continuosly explode and swear. there is no great personality or story revelations found w/in this title anymore. and if you compare it to the last run in MKnights, the biggest difference is the lack of story and the overabundance of swear words and exploding heads.
i don't think that the MAX would be the right way to go for DD, no one can get those titles to click in the right way as is, so why mess w/ a good thing?
hellpussy
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would love to see a DD Max title.

Yes a gritty more violent return to the DD genre.

It would be great to mix in some occult and mysticism. DD 65 with Dr Strange was a great concept.
zminusx
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it really depends on the storyline used.

There could very well be an interesting DD mini series that would fit under "MAX"...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Darediva
Wake Up

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to vote no. No point. Don't want more violence. I already know enough swear words to recognize #$%^ when I see it.

Those who throw dirt merely lose ground.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
hellpussy
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zminusx wrote:
I think it really depends on the storyline used.

There could very well be an interesting DD mini series that would fit under "MAX"...

Yes.

Gritty, metaphoric, religious, great revamped and/or new villain, fast paced, violent and bloody, draw on Matts contradictions of evil and good. Action from start to finish.

Split it off from the Bendis run. Make it a mini.
zminusx
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darediva wrote:
I have to vote no. No point. Don't want more violence. I already know enough swear words to recognize #$%^ when I see it.

Yeah, but occasionally the MAX titles aren't just about more language and violence.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
The Privateer
Redemption

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goddess0Whim wrote:
no, i think most people said why.
plus look at the Punisher Max title. i don't buy it personally, my BF does, but it's redundant now. the story seems to get bogged down in the fact they have to justify it as a MMAX. they set up a Punisher mission, he charges in, then people continuosly explode and swear. there is no great personality or story revelations found w/in this title anymore. and if you compare it to the last run in MKnights, the biggest difference is the lack of story and the overabundance of swear words and exploding heads.
i don't think that the MAX would be the right way to go for DD, no one can get those titles to click in the right way as is, so why mess w/ a good thing?

Goddess,

I have to hold you to a point, the MAX Punisher is brilliant, the Kitchen Irish #7-#12 was not great but had its moments, Mother Russia & the first #1-#6 were great. The Punisher is totally deserving of its MAX status, he is a very violent and venging personality, the MAX title gives Ennis more scope with the story and what the characters in those stories would realistically say and do.

I have read up to #27 in the previous MK Punisher series and I enjoyed some of the stories so far, but the over-riding feeling that I have is that the MK series was held back because they couldn't say or do certain things. My personal favourite was the use of "Mother-lovin" instead of, well, you know what I mean. It is pointless having a brutal agressive character and he can't act as threatening and as violent as he should be, Thus Punisher should be MAX.

Back to topic, another regular DD title would be great as has previously been stated, but DD is not a MAX character. Why does DD want extreme violence, bad language or sexual content, it doesn't fit with the character, it may appear forced in the stories to justify a DD MAX title, I do not think that it would work. The level of violence in the stories is sufficient in what the MK series allows. I have never felt that MK limitations / allowances have ever restricted a DD story.

I think that Elektra would be a far better choice in a MAX franchise, this is a violent character that would benefit from the licence to tell better stories, it would need a good creative person at the helm though to make most use of the creative freedom that the MAX title will allow them. Imagine the Greg Horn covers on a MAX title! Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: