Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

Maybe I'm reading too much into this...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Will DD be the mystery avenger?
Yes
44%
 44%  [ 4 ]
No
33%
 33%  [ 3 ]
train needs to get a life
22%
 22%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 9

train
Guardian Devil

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 11:14 pm    Post subject: Maybe I'm reading too much into this... Reply with quote

I just read the BENDIS! interview that Kuljit linked to. I couldn't help but notice this...

cX: Over on New Avengers, is there any relevance to Wolverine being on the team, and will he serve as the rebellious aspect of the team that was left vacant with Hawkeye’s death?

Bendis: As Mark Millar just announced online, part of the plan was always to end his run on Wolverine to set up a place for Wolverine mentally to be in a place where he would need to join the Avengers, which would be described in both Wolverine’s book and in New Avengers. His purpose on the team won’t be to replace Hawkeye, but instead to serve as a personality catalyst. It’s always interesting what Hawkeye brought was an interesting personality when Cap’s leading. For a lot of years there, Hawkeye’s main purpose on the team was to go “You suck Cap, who made you the boss?” So, it won’t exactly be that, but he’ll certainly be a guy on the team with a different point of view of the world than other people on the team, which just makes for good conversation. And this’ll start as quickly as House of M, which is coming out in a couple of weeks.

cX: Is there a specific reason why you’re using characters that are social misfits?

Bendis: Because the Marvel Universe is full of them? Who isn’t a social misfit? You’re putting on a Devil costume, you’re a social misfit. They’re interesting to write, interesting to read about, endlessly interesting to read about, and the Marvel Universe is built on that, that they’re not so much misfits as people with problems, our problems. And even if you’ve got the powers of the Sentry, you’ve still got problems.

The first question is in relation to New Avengers. The second question is a follow up to the cast of New Avengers. Notice the first character that he mentions is Daredevil. Does this mean that DD is in fact the "mystery avenger"?[/b]
james castle
Devil in Cell-Block D

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why can't I vote for "yes" and "train needs to get a life"? Both seem to be pretty obviously true at this point.

So why can't you see the funny side?
Why aren't you laughing?
The Privateer
Redemption

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love conspiracy, hell yes why not.

Guess that Bendis will want to keep the new breed of "Bendis brought up" DD fans happy, so he will possibly still write the character.

Hope not, but I am still buying New Avengers anyway!
Goddess0Whim
Fall From Grace

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i picked no,
but i should say that i homestly think that:
"mislead at various levels beyond rescue"
&
"train needs to get a life"

should have both been options.
TheManWithoutFear
Fall From Grace

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is no and not that you need a life, train. Just you saw devil and you think "Daredevil"... there's no correlation to anything Bendis says in that interview and Daredevil.

www.UltimateCentral.com
train
Guardian Devil

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheManWithoutFear wrote:
Just you saw devil and you think "Daredevil"... there's no correlation to anything Bendis says in that interview and Daredevil.

Go back and re-read the quote, then name another hero that dresses up like a devil. Bendis was talking about DD.
TheManWithoutFear
Fall From Grace

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

train wrote:

Go back and re-read the quote, then name another hero that dresses up like a devil. Bendis was talking about DD.

Can I get some back up on this one?

www.UltimateCentral.com
Stanley
Tree of Knowledge

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There're reasons your logical battles are becoming harder to fight on your own, necessitating "backup".

In no particular order, they are:
1) you're wrong
2) you jump to conclusions before actually weighing all options
3) you seem to choose the plain wrong words to describe whatever point you're hoping to get across.

"There's no correlation"? Do you even know what that word means? Of course there's a correlation. The words "put on a devil costume" have actually appeared in Daredevil under Bendis's run. The words "put on a devil costume" appear in the interview. You can't CORRELATE more than that.

Train was even nice enough to bold that section for you...and you still blew past it.

I can't imagine what you thought when you saw "devil".

...Actually, yes I can. If I picture your mind as the wasteland from The Great Gatsby (although I may be giving too much credit here), I have a pretty good idea. You thought:

"..."

Yes, in comics history, more than one hero has dressed up as a devil. Is that what you wanted for backup? Hope it helped.

Doesn't change the fact that Bendis was probably talking about Daredevil in that one sentence.

Doesn't necessarily mean that he's alluding to Daredevil as THE new avenger; he was making a separate point. Neither would surprise me, though.
TheManWithoutFear
Fall From Grace

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your order:
1) We'll see when the Mystery Avenger is revealed
2) What conclusions? This thread is about opinions of one stupid little statement? What are you talking about?
3) I'll try to take up an English class at whatever AF Base they station me at... and see if I can type the right words but until then deal with it and don't assume that I'm pushin' posters around like you did.

Some of you guys are just jerks. Seriously, I'm sorry I looked at the interview and saw Devil and the first thing that popped into my head was Daredevil too. But then I put my own fanboyishness (No that's probably not a word either smartass) and said he said "devil" big deal... my tone was light when I first responded to this thread and for some reason it was taken offensively. As for your insanely rude response, a simple "Sorry, I actually agree with him" would've been fine. I don't need you jumpin' down my throat simply because he asked if anyone thought he was reading too much into it. I even clearly stated that I wouldn't choose the "you need a life" option because I understood where he was coming from. That's all I'm gonna say about that... because if I continue my ranting I'll be booted.

On to business...
Where has it said "Put on a devil's costume" in Bendis' run. I really didn't pick it up anywhere and am interested. Maybe this time you could tell me nicely instead of just assuming I've memorized every word of Bendis' run.

www.UltimateCentral.com
train
Guardian Devil

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stanley wrote:
Doesn't necessarily mean that he's alluding to Daredevil as THE new avenger; he was making a separate point. Neither would surprise me, though.

I have to disagree a little here. The first question was about the team dynamics in New Avengers. The jist of the second question was why did you pick misfits to fill out the roster. Bendis' answer went directly to "a guy that dresses like a devil". If DD wasn't a planned member of the team, he would have said something like "a guy (or gal) that dresses like a spider" or "a guy that dresses in the american flag" or "a guy that acts like a feral animal".
Stanley
Tree of Knowledge

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Umm...umm...I can't find where he said tha--CAN I GET SOME BACKUP IN HERE, PLEASE?!

Yeah--I thought people in the Air Force were supposed to be self-sufficient. I should know--my Dad and Grandfather were both in it. So you can go attempt to impress somebody else by dropping that piece of information, but it rings hollow here.

Quote:
1) We'll see when the Mystery Avenger is revealed

See, this is exactly what I'm talking about. In your warped thought process, you think the argument is "who's the mystery avenger?", thus the 'who is right' is only determined by the end result.

INCORRECT.

In fact, the odd thing about it is that YOU brought up the argument, which is in fact "does Bendis allude to Daredevil with the statement that Train bolded?"

So, to my point, you say "there's no correlation to anything Bendis says in that interview and Daredevil."

So I guess the only way to "win" this argument is to come up with evidence. Umm...umm...let me check...can I get back to you on that? Let's wait until my backup gets here.

In the meantime, let's hit
Quote:
2) What conclusions? This thread is about opinions of one stupid little statement? What are you talking about?

Now you see, you jump to the conclusion of fighting a side of an argument NOBODY ELSE IS HAVING (until Train just replied to ME), thus making it incorrect and therefore invalid for consideration when dealing with logic and reason. THAT's what I'm talking about.

How can I expect you to pick it up, though--I didn't bold it or anything.

Quote:
3) I'll try to take up an English class at whatever AF Base they station me at... and see if I can type the right words but until then deal with it and don't assume that I'm pushin' posters around like you did.

Hey, do whatever you have to do, because your penchant for accidental inflammatory language is AMAZING. Let's hit "TheManWithoutFear's Greatest Hits", shall we?

Quote:
Guys why do you always branch off with these subthreads. There's a reason there are discussion threads.

Quote:
I'm gonna bank that anyone who got DD is 90% lyin...

Quote:
Just you saw devil and you think "Daredevil"... there's no correlation to anything Bendis says in that interview and Daredevil.

Man, we could sell a compilation CD. YOU have to remember that YOU are embroiled with ONE person that you disagree with. So when rgj starts a new thread, you don't attempt a mass paradigm shift by trying to call EVERYONE on the carpet to "post the TheManWithoutFear way". When you disagree with me, you don't beat around the bush and say "Some of you guys are just jerks." You call me a jerk. OK?

Man, if you're this afraid of confrontation now, Air Force ain't gonna work out, I'll tell you that right now.

See, my diatribes are directed at the ONE person I have a problem with, and it's purposeful and done with a specific goal. That goal is to make the object of my dressing-down look ridiculous.

Quote:
But then I put my own fanboyishness (No that's probably not a word either smartass)

Hey, I'm all for making up words. I'm just saying, you have such a tenuous grasp on the English that you DO know...

So--I've talked down to you, and made sure to dress you down, but even I acknowledge that it isn't valid unless I find proof...

BENDIS! wrote:
Are you the guy that dresses up like a yellow devil?
Bont, issue 66

BENDIS! wrote:
What does it look like when a man who dresses up like the devil...
Urich, 59

BENDIS! wrote:
Why does he have to dress as the devil, then?
random lady, issue 71--and a convo about the devil costume ensues.

BENDIS! wrote:
He puts on a devil costume!
Milla, issue 46

Oh, there's the proof I needed.

I check you because you need to realize that how you talk to people when attempting to NOT argue with them is NOT the way you should talk to people.

Lose the broad generalizations and overall pompous attitude--leave it to those of us that do it up right.

Stanley
Tree of Knowledge

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

train wrote:

I have to disagree a little here. The first question was about the team dynamics in New Avengers. The jist of the second question was why did you pick misfits to fill out the roster. Bendis' answer went directly to "a guy that dresses like a devil". If DD wasn't a planned member of the team, he would have said something like "a guy (or gal) that dresses like a spider" or "a guy that dresses in the american flag" or "a guy that acts like a feral animal".

Fair enough, train. Although he did say in essence "the entire Marvel Universe is full of misfits." He could be making a point that "misfit" isn't the correct word to apply to his roster, thus he picks an example of who's NOT on the team to illustrate that fact.

I'm not saying that's the way it is, but it's open to interpretation and that's why I'm still up in the air about this whole thing.

There's no question he was alluding to Daredevil, though.
TheManWithoutFear
Fall From Grace

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

www.UltimateCentral.com
Stanley
Tree of Knowledge

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't laugh if I were you. Unless you find getting logically dismantled funny.

OK, so obviously you're going to respond with some variation of "wow, your life is so boring that you spend time dissecting my crappy argument, that's funny ROFLMAO OMG". So let's just cut out the middleman, shall we?

If you keep going with something pathetic like "wow, i'm still provoking you because it's funny to me", it's a pretty transparent facade. So the quieter you are at this point, the less face you lose.

Aren't you the guy that wanted to ultimize everything? You might want to start by ultimizing a valid point and a coherent argument.

You're now the fourth person I've reduced to having no other comeback than "I'm laughing at how much your one post owned all of mine". Keep this up, I'll have to count you twice.
james castle
Devil in Cell-Block D

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stanley wrote:

Aren't you the guy that wanted to ultimize everything? You might want to start by ultimizing a valid point and a coherent argument.

Hahaha, zing of the WEEK! "Ultimizing a valid point". Hahaha. Yeah and Manwithoutfear has stopped making sense entirely. What are you gonna do?

So why can't you see the funny side?
Why aren't you laughing?
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: