Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

What is your opinion on Daredevil being Outed?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics
View previous topic :: View next topic  

I approve
55%
 55%  [ 11 ]
I disapprove
45%
 45%  [ 9 ]
Total Votes : 20

The Overlord
Paradiso

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 1:57 am    Post subject: What is your opinion on Daredevil being Outed? Reply with quote

noypi-me
Tree of Knowledge

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the outing was excellently executed IMO. so i'm totally for it especially now that it's being passed to an equally great writter.

...are you talking to me..."
Murdock Bell
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with noypi.

It was handled excellently without being cheapened, and is being passed on to equally (if not moreso) capable hands with Brubaker.

If the creative teams involved were different, my opinion might be as well...but that goes for any story idea, really.
Forrest
Lowlife

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The outing of DD was a fantastic story idea, which was done before Bendis. Razz

Still, I definitely approve of Bendis's DD outing and I think it may end up being one of the most important stories in comics. Furthermore, I absolutely love the way Bendis, Maleev, Hollingsworth, etc. did the outing and much of the aftermath.

Unfortunately, Bendis lost steam in almost all of his work, in about mid-late 2004. (I think this may be due in part to his Avenger's/New Avengers work, which was outstanding, but likely drew his energies away from other books.) Around this time, I feel his DD suffered greatly and only marginally recovered once in a while (i.e. issues #81 and #75 come to mind). While the overall story still turned out (Matt being outed, winning a lawsuit in denial, arrested, imprisoned, etc. all simply for being a superhero), much of it was done so without care or quality writing.

Of course, like I said, I LOVE Bendis's pre-Widow DD and I love what he was trying to do with DD since then. So, this weekend, I'll reread all his work to get the big picture.

Last edited by Forrest on Mon Jan 23, 2006 1:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
CyberGhostface
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think DD was one of the few Bendis titles that never really hit a downspot. There were some times (namely how Golden Age and Decalogue both changed the plot midway) where I was disappointed, but overall I really enjoyed his run.

I think if Bendis had pulled a Kevin Smith and ran away for the next writer to pick up the pieces, it'd be one thing. But he did a fine job sticking with the storyline.
Forrest
Lowlife

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CyberGhostface wrote:
I think DD was one of the few Bendis titles that never really hit a downspot.

Just a side note, I'd say that about Ultimate Spider-Man, not DD. Of course, I've heard others complain that USM had a major downspot. So, to each is own.
train
Guardian Devil

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm really mixed in my opinion. like BENDIS! said in the documentary "Men Without Fear", the whole secret identity was so overused and never taken to the logical conclusion. in a way, i'm glad that the story has been completed, so it can't be done again. at the same time, i'm going to miss Matt Murdock Attorney At Law.
Clayton Blind Love
Redemption

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I refuse to comment on this until I, at the very least, read Bendis' last issue. It sounds like Bru is going to carry on this approach. The outing itself was a brilliant read, but where does this go and how does this title continue after? What does it mean, not only for Matt, but the supporting characters?

This outing may very will result in the direct cause of a death. It most likely will be. If this death isn't handled well, then my opinion towards this outing might change drastically.

It is hard to have an opinion when the results of this outing are still unknown to us.

C.
mhs_111
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clayton Blind Love wrote:
The outing itself was a brilliant read, but where does this go and how does this title continue after? What does it mean, not only for Matt, but the supporting characters?

I agree with you. I love his regular life as lawyer.
It's like Nocetti's needed to do some "mass hypnotism" to the whole community so they forget this outing thing, supranatural works or aliens things, something like that. And...Matt life is back to as normal as he used to be Very Happy.

Though in the other hand I'm curious to where the next writer will bring Matt and Hellkitchen.

Hmm would it be like Powers? where all super people are outed?

"...I don't have sixth sense
I just don't have the fifth."~Virge
CyberGhostface
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd really hate that. It'd seem like a huge cop out.
daredevil99x
Fall From Grace

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the outing was very well handled. It is one of the best comic stories ever, but I almost prefer that it would have never happened. There's no way it can go back to being a secret now, and now no one who knows Matt is safe. I don't envy Brubaker for trying to follow up this one. But I can't wait to read it.
the gael
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, the outing was perfectly executed in " out ", one of the best and most emotionnal DD story ever. Bendis did a very fine job in it. It was not only completely realistic but also gave allways the opportunity to bring the genie back to the bottle after the writer has finished is job.

But after hardcore, Bendis ( to busy ), wasn't as good. While " Out " was near perfect, his late DD stories weren't as good.

I have to say that I was very worried by the last changes. I was worried that Bendis will leave to Brubaker a mess that he would let him without the opportunity to bring Matt as a lawyer ( And that's a side of the character that you should never suppress from the book forever without killing the character )
That's why the whole " Jack Battling " thing sucked so much. I hate this character with passion for having no purpose, being nothing, having no signification.

I was also worried by the " oz " side. Never liked the jail movies.
But now, knowing that bendis wrote the last issue with brubaker's stories in his head, I am more confident. After all, this may be a good story...

Only hope that the deal that Matt will make will be with the FBI or the Shield. Maybe that's the point and Matt is the one to switch the side during Civil War : He made a deal with the government to get out of jail and live to regret it because he wants to keep secret identities for heroes... I can see that.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: