Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

Confusion

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
StevieG
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 12:50 pm    Post subject: Confusion Reply with quote

I'm fairly new to Daredevil, and yesterday I got the Man Without Fear and Yellow trades. I'm sure you all know, they contradict one another (confusing the hell out of someone who reads them back to back). I was just curious as to which is the more accepted one. Yellow seems to go along with his original origin, while the more modern DD seems to be based in the MWoF (like Typhoid Mary's entire existence).

I apologize if this question has been asked already, but I searched the board and didn't see anything.
Murdock Bell
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Confusion Reply with quote

There's no clear answer to your question.

Man Without Fear has been referenced three times in Volume 1 era comics, by three different writers (D.G. Chichester, Joe Kelly, and JM DeMatties).

In other words, despite it's original conception as a screen treatment for Daredevil, the Frank Miller's name, and the fact that most people consider it to be a classic mini series, made it ripe for incorporation into Daredevil continuity.

On the other hand, MWoF hasn't been directly referenced since Volume 2 began, but, then, neither has Daredevil: Yellow--Daredevil's origins really just haven't been referenced with any kind of depth or frequency in the main title.

This is what makes the answer to your question very ambiguous, at least regarding specific details.

Still, certain scenes dealing with his past that *have* appeared in volume 2, and recent minis, seem to take their cues from Miller's work in spirit (specifically in the more tainted portrayal of Matt's father, pushing the death of Jack Murdock back earlier in Matt's life, the constant mentions of Stick--a very important character Yellow ignored completely, etc).
StevieG
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks man, I appreciate it. Very detailed answer.
Forrest
Lowlife

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I generally see DD:Yellow and MWoF as very different sides of the same coin, rather than two different coins. Razz

That said, I will always favor DD:Yellow and Stan Lee's DD origin over MWoF. If I ever give someone a DD story to read, I always start out with either DD:Yellow or Born Again (depending on the reader's style).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: