Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

Bought - Thought 7/12

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DDmikeMN
Ninja

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 5:56 pm    Post subject: Bought - Thought 7/12 Reply with quote

What did you get this week? Tell us whether it's worth buying.
daredevil99x
Fall From Grace

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Catwoman: Dark End of the Street TPB Didn't see anything new that looked good, so I opted for this. I bought Selina's Big Score a while ago for Darwyn Cooke's art and really enjoyed it, and so I decided to try this out. It was a good read. Brubaker really makes Selina an interesting character in this and makes me appreciate Catwoman outside of her interaction with Batman. Great read and fantastic art.
james castle
Devil in Cell-Block D

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only ever get trades so my buys are always boring. Especially recently when I haven't even had the decency to buy new trades and have been insteading catching up on old series.

That said, this week I bought Invisibles Vol. 6: Kissing Mr. Quimper and I now officially love 1) the Invisibles and 2) Grant Morrisson.

Um, that's it. God, when is the next DD trade due out? It seems like it's been forever.

So why can't you see the funny side?
Why aren't you laughing?
MercifulAvatar
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cobb Off the Leash #2: I bought #1 because of the interview Beau Smith did with CGS. It's mildly amusing cliffhanger ending encouraged me to buy #2. Whether or not I pick up #3 is really going to depend on my mood the day it comes out. If you like the whole Warren Ellis/Punisher/100 Bullets milieu, you'll probably like this.

Fables #51: My favorite read this week. Cinderella concludes her diplomatic mission to the Sky Giants. Sexy and funny.

Ghost Rider #1: Lots of demons. No boobs. Stupid, stupid, stupid sidekick. Eff you Joey Q: this abortion has to be your fault, somehow. More Marvel marketing garbage. Maybe Marvel should worry more about writing good stories and less about attracting old readers with these pathetic rehashes. Of course that would take intelligence and creativity which just scares the **** out of shareholders. I'm only bitter because I'm a recovering Marvel Zombie.

Kabuki Reflections #6: !DAVIDMACKISGOD!
DDmikeMN
Ninja

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Civil War: Frontline #3 - Dare I say that this book is better than the main title? I do dare. This book is essential reading. Not just because it will introduce you to the War Poets. There's something much more subtle and nuanced going on here. The world isn't completely mad. But you get the feeling of creeping dread. If you care about Civil War, you have to read this book. If you don't care, give this book a spin and maybe you will.

USM #97 - I know I keep saying this. But things might be rounding back into shape for USM. There was the right balance in this issue between the personal drama, the superhero fighting and, of course, the jokes. It's been a long while since I considered this the best book on my pull list. Hopefully it's headed back up in that area soon.
pariah
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man I really hated this week.

I picked up:

Ms. Marvel #5
This issue just had just about everything I've come to despise about science fiction, or fantasy or whatever you wanna label comics, it had time traveling and alternate universes, and magic, and all of this was controlled by some villian who was barely coherent. Loved the last page though.

Squadron Supreme #5
Good as usual, great even, I really love Gary Frank and Strachynsky(sorry), but I was kinda in a bad mood when I read this and the whole emotionally disturbed people with super powers thing is starting to bum me out.

Superman #654(?)
Lord I hated the way Lois' hair was drawn and the story was just so-so, probably made even worse with all the fall out from Superman Returns I've been o.d.ing on.

That's all, I hope next week is better.
The Privateer
Redemption

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was quite a lean week for me, I got the following:

52 WEEK #10 $2.50 - Enjoying this series, though my total lack of DC knowledge does sort of grate at times as I have little to no idea who some of these people are or whatever they do. I had to ask why Clark Kent didn't have powers anymore, but hey at least I ask. I was told that 52 would be good for me as a DCU novice to introduce me to lots of their characters, this certainly is the case, but as someone who is starting from the ground up, it is tricky at times, but I understand that as experienced DC Fanboys would get annoyed at the exposition all the time for the benefit of new fans. I've found the History of the DCU very good at the back of the issues. Renee and Question rock! Regards this, I'm up to #24 of Gotham Central, if anyone is not reading or read this, they must, it is truly amazing stuff.

DMZ #9 (MR) $2.99 - Finally I am getting into this, I could have dropped it for the first 7 issues, now I am on board,I think that I "get-it" now, it hadn't clicked before, but I am enjoying where I think that this is heading now.

CIVIL WAR FRONT LINE #3 (OF 10) Thought that I had better comment to DDMike:
DDmikeMN wrote:
Civil War: Frontline #3 - Dare I say that this book is better than the main title? I do dare. This book is essential reading. Not just because it will introduce you to the War Poets. There's something much more subtle and nuanced going on here. The world isn't completely mad. But you get the feeling of creeping dread. If you care about Civil War, you have to read this book. If you don't care, give this book a spin and maybe you will.
They are good words Mike, when I picked up #1 and just skimmed it my thoughts were "I don't this much but I'll give it a go". But after reading it, I was amazed by the content, feel and objective of the book. As you comment, it really is an annexe to the main Civil War book. It allows Millar's Civil War to have the action, the big thrills and spills, and then Jenkins' Civil War mops up all the "thinking" issues that surround the action, it is almost like the politics behind how and why the battles take place. A book like this would not be possible because normally because it is all wrapped up in the main title. The main title will get bogged down with trying to do both the big headline action and also do some of the politics and by-product and thus it rarely achieves either. Look at how Bendis's DD was a contrast at times between action scenes and then months of talking about the outcomes of actions and reactions. This really is a clever idea that lets Millar go for the action and story, and someone else can "bolt-on" the characters feelings and sentiment that is felt by others.
As you say about the war poets, there are so many delicate touches in this book, it makes the whole Civil War classy to me, it is a direct contrast to the mish mash that House of M turned out to be. Front Line really explores the issues created by the politics of the registration. The treatment of Speedball is excellent stuff as well, quite intense. Overall a very good title that holds alot of high hopes for me and amazingly I expectly very little for it.

What are the origins of Speedball, what title is he in? Are the New Warriors from the TV show at the start of Civil war from another title? I'd never heard of either before the "Stamford Incident".

Out of interest, who was the fish shop owner at the end, I didn't recognise the last page spoiler?

I also picked up SQUADRON SUPREME #5,

pariah wrote:

Squadron Supreme #5
Good as usual, great even, I really love Gary Frank and Strachynsky(sorry), but I was kinda in a bad mood when I read this and the whole emotionally disturbed people with super powers thing is starting to bum me out.
I'm enjoying the writing and art, but Pariah you are right, you have to be of the right frame of mind to read it or you might just throw in the towel, it is very dark and twisted stuff. Stick with it though, I can see the foundations of a good book here.

I am really enjoying the Supreme Universe, I'd never read any before, but am quite keen to get the Max back issues or trades. I love that they are all have serious issues, but I am waiting for this to make a move in a direction, it has mostly been setting up for newbies like me so far, but I have a jist of it all now and want some direction for this. There are lots of opportunities for mayhem and I am really looking forward to the Ultimate Power cross-over coming up later this year.

Finally if you haven't passed over my babbling, there is a wonderful book out last week that I had recommended to me, The Escapists by Brian K Vaughan. It is only $1, yes BKV for $1 (Sounds like a sexual offer from Thailand to me!!?). Wow, talk about Wow. If you have any sort of passion for the comic industry, for comic nostalgia and for the craft in general, then you must buy this book. Did anyone read this? It is so well written, art is very good, I wanted more, a very gentle subtle story that gets across all different types of emotion very easily, one of the most surprising reads of the year for me, on a cost to quality ratio, for a $1 this is very hard to beat.
the truebeliever
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Civil War: Frontline #3 - I loved it. I think it accomplished what it set out to do so far by being the main tie in for Civil War and actually being really good. This weeks was no let down.

Ghost Rider #1 - I liked it to a point. It was interesting but far from the best of what I picked up this week (Civil War: Frontline #3). It was interesting to see how they started it back up and I want to see where it will go.

Thunderbolts #104 - The last Civil War tie-in of the week was a let down for me. I really haven't read Thunderbolts on a monthly basis since I started last month for the Civil War tie-in. I felt they didn't put enough effort into it and not enough research which can be seen when have the villians they had on the issue are dead in the universe. But never the less it was a tie-in which is why I'm going to get the final issue part next month.

Wolverine Origins #4 - This wasn't as interesting as the rest for me. It was cool to see Wolverine and Captain America brawl one on one but left alot to be desired. What I could ask for instead of that was more of the flashback story for Wolverine the main reason why this series started. But next month we should see alot more of that from what I've read.

X-Men #188 - I liked this. I enjoyed it just like the beginning of Uncanny X-men for the start of Brubakers run. I liked Brubaker's first issue better but we still have time to see where this is going to go with there runs.

That's what I think of this week.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: