Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

Am I the only one?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
the truebeliever
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 9:58 pm    Post subject: Am I the only one? Reply with quote

I saw the cover for the November issue of Daredevil (#91). I noticed that Tombstone is on the issue. I'm actually quite happy. I know he isn't a huge character in the Marvel U except for Spider-Man. But, I'm very happy to see him after a few years. Am I the only one?
rgj
Hardcore

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Tombstone works great in DAREDEVIL. Chichester wrote some good stories that included Tombstone (and yeah, Taskmaster would be cool too). Not only is Tombstone making an appearance, but it seems Bru is going to try to give some cred to the Matador. Matador is not one of my favs, but maybe Bru might actually pull it off. Ole!

What's next? Abner Jonas "the Organizer" and his Ani-men (Cat-man, Frog-man, Ape-man and Bird-man)!

rgj
The Overlord
Paradiso

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:07 am    Post subject: Re: Am I the only one? Reply with quote

the truebeliever wrote:
I saw the cover for the November issue of Daredevil (#91). I noticed that Tombstone is on the issue. I'm actually quite happy. I know he isn't a huge character in the Marvel U except for Spider-Man. But, I'm very happy to see him after a few years. Am I the only one?

Do you think Brubaker can do the impossible and make Matador into a cool character? Of course Villains United turned Catman, one of the lamest villains ever into a cool character, so I guess anything is possible.
The Overlord
Paradiso

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:20 am    Post subject: Re: Am I the only one? Reply with quote

the truebeliever wrote:

Dang looks DD is stealing from spidey's rogues gallery again. Spidey should say hands off my villains, Horn Head. Very Happy

Seriously though, I always liked Tombstone, he is obscure, yet interesting villain and since he is underused in the Spidey titles, I am glad he is being used here.

Now should Tombstone become a DD villain instead of Spidey villain? I'm not sure, what makes Tombstone interesting in the long run is realation with Joe Robertson, who is a tradiational a Spidey supporting character. Take away his realationship with Robertson and Tombstone tends to be just another psychopath hitman. However since Spidey doesn't really work at Bugle anymore, it seems like the Bugle staff are showing up just as much in DD title as they are in Spidey's, so who knows.
Forrest
Lowlife

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Am I the only one? Reply with quote

The Master Meglomaniac wrote:

Do you think Brubaker can do the impossible and make Matador into a cool character? Of course Villains United turned Catman, one of the lamest villains ever into a cool character, so I guess anything is possible.

Good point. It's all about the writing.
The Overlord
Paradiso

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Am I the only one? Reply with quote

Forrest wrote:

Good point. It's all about the writing.

You know what they say, there is no such thing as lame characters, only lame writers. Bullseye and Kingpin were pretty lame before Miller revamped them, however Matador will likely be trickier to make into a cool character than those 2. However there has been failed attempts to revamp lame villains in the past, the psychopath Stilt-Man from 2001 Spider-Man/DD
mini came off as puffed up punk rather than a real threat.
Francesco
Underboss

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys, are you certain that's Tombstone? IIRC, Tombstone had also sharp teeth and fingernails.
Don't get me wrong, it would be cool if it's him.

On a side note, do you imagine the comments if, back some months ago, someone in the forum started a discussion about "how interesting would it be if Brubaker used the matador as DD villain again"?
I bet a bunch of know-it-all would've literally massacred the poor guy (it's lame! Ridiculous! That would suck!)
Forrest
Lowlife

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Am I the only one? Reply with quote

Brubaker can definitely make Matador cool. No question. I doubt many other writers could, though, just as it took outstanding writing for Meltzer to make the Calculator cool (which hasn't happened again since Identity Crisis ended), Simone to make Cat-Man cool, etc.
Solid Snake PAC
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, Lame writers, lame characters. Identity Crisis alone proved how writing can change a **** character. From than DC has been really going strong *well in the ones i've read* in it's writing. Of course some are so lame that well they were supposed to be lame. what was it? The Hypno Hustler from Spidey in the 70's...lol.
the truebeliever
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm happy I'm not the only one. He has always been one of my favorite characters and the character also helped Robbie's character on Spider-Man. I think Brubaker will also do awesome on making Matador cool.
The Overlord
Paradiso

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If brubaker is willing to revamp a z grade goober like Matador, maybe he will revamp other B list DD villains during his run.

Last edited by The Overlord on Tue Aug 29, 2006 12:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Forrest
Lowlife

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Readers often complain about DD's 'rogue gallery,' but the blame is not on the characters themselves, but the DD writers. We're all aware at how addicted most DD writers are to repeating the same basic Miller DD format with Bullseye, the Hand, Elektra and/or Kingpin being one or more of the major players. (Of course, writers like Kesel are clear deviations from this trend.) This leads to a very thin base of well developed DD villains.

At their core, Spider-man villains, X-Men villains, etc., are no better than DD villains. (Have you read the first appearances of some of these Stan Lee villains?) Sure, some like Stilt Man are just doomed to fail, but others like Purple Man, Owl, Danny Guitar, Gael, Mr. Fear, Starr Saxon, etc. were just neglected (even if the did die Razz) by modern DD writers in favor of resorting back to the Miller holy trinity of Kingpin, Bullseye and Elektra.

This book suffers from Miller envy. This is not Miller's book. It's Stan Lee's book, Roy Thomas's, Nocenti's, etc. Just based on the fact that we see the Matador on an upcoming cover means that Brubaker understands that DD did not begin with issue #158. Brubaker is going to bring DD to new levels and revive a rich past that most DD writers are afraid of, in favor of the more simple Miller DD past.
The Overlord
Paradiso

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forrest wrote:
Readers often complain about DD's 'rogue gallery,' but the blame is not on the characters themselves, but the DD writers. We're all aware at how addicted most DD writers are to repeating the same basic Miller DD format with Bullseye, the Hand, Elektra and/or Kingpin being one or more of the major players. (Of course, writers like Kesel are clear deviations from this trend.) This leads to a very thin base of well developed DD villains.

At their core, Spider-man villains, X-Men villains, etc., are no better than DD villains. (Have you read the first appearances of some of these Stan Lee villains?) Sure, some like Stilt Man are just doomed to fail, but others like Purple Man, Owl, Danny Guitar, Gael, Mr. Fear, Starr Saxon, etc. were just neglected (even if the did die Razz) by modern DD writers in favor of resorting back to the Miller holy trinity of Kingpin, Bullseye and Elektra.

This book suffers from Miller envy. This is not Miller's book. It's Stan Lee's book, Roy Thomas's, Nocenti's, etc. Just based on the fact that we see the Matador on an upcoming cover means that Brubaker understands that DD did not begin with issue #158. Brubaker is going to bring DD to new levels and revive a rich past that most DD writers are afraid of, in favor of the more simple Miller DD past.

That's true the best thing Miller did for DD was establish a dark atmosphere for DDD, but I am kida sick of writers constantly recyling his old storylines, its like many writers after Miller were afraid to try their try out thier own ideas and try escape from Miller's shadow. I think brubkaer knows its good to use the atmosphere Miller created without rehashing his old ideas.

Since your a DC fany boy I guess you know that before Geoff Johns came along Flash's rogues gallery was considered pretty lame, then he revamped them into one of the most respected rogues gallery around. I think someone like brubaker could revamp some of the B list dD villains and give dD a decent rogues gallery.
Francesco
Underboss

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way, is that really Tombstone? He looks more like a new villain, maybe inspired by that Alan Scott's foe (the big undead guy).
Forrest
Lowlife

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since your a DC fany boy I guess you know that before Geoff Johns came along Flash's rogues gallery was considered pretty lame, then he revamped them into one of the most respected rogues gallery around. I think someone like brubaker could revamp some of the B list dD villains and give dD a decent rogues gallery.

Exactly.

Francesco wrote:
By the way, is that really Tombstone? He looks more like a new villain, maybe inspired by that Alan Scott's foe (the big undead guy).

Thinking of Solomon Grundy?

...what is Tombstone's nationality?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: