Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

Should Daredevil take on a sidekick?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Max Bosis
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 4:15 pm    Post subject: Should Daredevil take on a sidekick? Reply with quote

I've had this idea swimming in my head ever since I read the Typhoid Mary TPB. Anyone remember that kid that was blinded somewhat similar to Matt's accident? I think his name was Tyrone. Every time Matt kept trying to train him like Stick trained him, I just kept thinking to myself that this kid would be a perfect sidekick to Daredevil. It'd be perfect. So what do you all think?

Also, has he been seen anytime after that arc in any DD issues.
daredevil99x
Fall From Grace

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No. Very bad idea. He's a loner with occasional team-ups.
Forrest
Lowlife

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well not for a good long while with the current Marvel U DD...

However, I think this would be a great story, especially in the Ultimate universe!
james castle
Devil in Cell-Block D

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DD's a huge loner. That's why he was partners with Black Widow for so long. That's also why he has a law partner (well, had, well, you know) and that's why he's virtually always had a girlfriend. That's also why he has a seemingly fairly large group of superhero and non-superhero buddies (spidey, cage, urich etc.) that he hangs out with all the time.

DD is not a loner. No matter how much people like to pretend he is...he isn't Batman.

As for the side kick thing - No, DD shouldn't have a sidekick. He isn't Batman.

As for Tyrone more generally: Anne Nocenti (i.e. the greatest DD writer to ever live) had a huge cast of supporting characters (Fat Boyz, etc.) that everyone seems to have forgotten about. Which is a shame.

So why can't you see the funny side?
Why aren't you laughing?
Max Bosis
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well maybe I jumped the shark by saying that he should get a sidekick. Maybe Tyrone could, I don't know, join the Runaways or the Young Avengers or something. At least bring him back as a supporting character for the new DD run.

I'd really love to see that.
Clayton Blind Love
Redemption

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm against it, but if it had to happen... she has to be hot university-age chick and Matt has to mess it up. Wink

C.
rgj
Hardcore

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like jc said. Daredevil is not Batman. I can't see Matt with a sidekick.

rgj
Forrest
Lowlife

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If only he had signed Jean Loring's death warrant! ...that *&$#@... Razz
TheManWithoutFear
Fall From Grace

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tyrone? No. Too redundant. Another blind guy?

I don't think he should have a sidekick but if Del Toro stuck around fighting crimes with him for a few issues, I wouldn't have mind.

www.UltimateCentral.com
Francesco
Underboss

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

james castle wrote:
DD's a huge loner. That's why he was partners with Black Widow for so long. That's also why he has a law partner (well, had, well, you know) and that's why he's virtually always had a girlfriend. That's also why he has a seemingly fairly large group of superhero and non-superhero buddies (spidey, cage, urich etc.) that he hangs out with all the time.

Someone here is confusing "Matt Murdock" with "Daredevil", and "hanging out all time" with "occasionally teaming up with"/"receiving info from".
james castle
Devil in Cell-Block D

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Francesco wrote:
james castle wrote:

Someone here is confusing "Matt Murdock" with "Daredevil", and "hanging out all time" with "occasionally teaming up with"/"receiving info from".

I'm not confusing anything. The idea that "Matt Murdock" is different from "Daredevil", while interesting, is nothing more than the classic, "what? he's not Batman?". The cool thing about Matt Murdock/Daredevil is that he's very much Matt Murdock/Daredevil. In all major arcs, Born Again, Nocentti's Run, Last Rites, Bendis' Run there has always been an over whelming sense of "the guy in the red suit is just Matt...but in a red suit". Batman and Bruce Wayne have a definate duel personality thing going on to the point where one can validly argue that Batman is the true character and Bruce Wayne is the facade. No such thing is true of Matt. Perhaps if you familarize your self with some DD comics you'll understand that.

Plus, even if your "point" wasn't ridiculous (which it is), it wouldn't matter. So you're saying that Daredevil is a loner so he has a....law partner...while he's Matt...so that....? Wait, what?

Same thing with the team up thing. How many issues of Bendis' run didn't feature another hero helping Matt? How do you square the whole Black Widow thing? She even got on the cover for a bit. Matt teams up with and is associated with other heroes all the time. Hence no loner.

Go read some Batman.

PS and I hope this is just a coincidence but I can't help but notice that you seem to have "responded" to two of my posts in a fairly hostile way during the same visit. I hope this isn't some sort of intential targetting in which you've decided to respond to all my valid posts with silly drivel. That would get annoying.

Why aren't you laughing?
The Overlord
Paradiso

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

james castle wrote:
Francesco wrote:
james castle wrote:

I'm not confusing anything. The idea that "Matt Murdock" is different from "Daredevil", while interesting, is nothing more than the classic, "what? he's not Batman?". The cool thing about Matt Murdock/Daredevil is that he's very much Matt Murdock/Daredevil. In all major arcs, Born Again, Nocentti's Run, Last Rites, Bendis' Run there has always been an over whelming sense of "the guy in the red suit is just Matt...but in a red suit". Batman and Bruce Wayne have a definate duel personality thing going on to the point where one can validly argue that Batman is the true character and Bruce Wayne is the facade. No such thing is true of Matt. Perhaps if you familarize your self with some DD comics you'll understand that.

Plus, even if your "point" wasn't ridiculous (which it is), it wouldn't matter. So you're saying that Daredevil is a loner so he has a....law partner...while he's Matt...so that....? Wait, what?

Same thing with the team up thing. How many issues of Bendis' run didn't feature another hero helping Matt? How do you square the whole Black Widow thing? She even got on the cover for a bit. Matt teams up with and is associated with other heroes all the time. Hence no loner.

Go read some Batman.

PS and I hope this is just a coincidence but I can't help but notice that you seem to have "responded" to two of my posts in a fairly hostile way during the same visit. I hope this isn't some sort of intential targetting in which you've decided to respond to all my valid posts with silly drivel. That would get annoying.

DD is a bigger longer than Batman. Batman is a member of the JLA and is featured in a title where he regularly teams up Superman, not to mention all the teen sidekicks Bats has.
james castle
Devil in Cell-Block D

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Master Meglomaniac wrote:

DD is a bigger longer than Batman. Batman is a member of the JLA and is featured in a title where he regularly teams up Superman, not to mention all the teen sidekicks Bats has.

To be fair, I'm basing my opinion of Batman on the "big" (or "defining) Batman stories. Like Year One, Dark Knight Returns, Killing Joke, Arkham, etc.. I really haven't read a lot of his (many) ongoing series or JLA stuff.

That said, I'll just make two points. First, it's my understanding that Batman is the loner character of the JLA. Like Wolverine in the X-Men. The fact that he's in the JLA (which, it seems to me is little more than a throw back to the time where TEAM-UPS! were cool) doesn't prove he isn't a loner. Who isn't in the JLA? No really.

Secondly, the whole idea of giving Batman Robin in the first place was to give him a foil. Having Batman suddenly become responsible for a young ward is and always has been a way for writters to explore Batman's loner side. He's the loner who has to work with a kid. Get it?

Why aren't you laughing?
The Overlord
Paradiso

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

james castle wrote:
The Master Meglomaniac wrote:

To be fair, I'm basing my opinion of Batman on the "big" (or "defining) Batman stories. Like Year One, Dark Knight Returns, Killing Joke, Arkham, etc.. I really haven't read a lot of his (many) ongoing series or JLA stuff.

That said, I'll just make two points. First, it's my understanding that Batman is the loner character of the JLA. Like Wolverine in the X-Men. The fact that he's in the JLA (which, it seems to me is little more than a throw back to the time where TEAM-UPS! were cool) doesn't prove he isn't a loner. Who isn't in the JLA? No really.

Secondly, the whole idea of giving Batman Robin in the first place was to give him a foil. Having Batman suddenly become responsible for a young ward is and always has been a way for writters to explore Batman's loner side. He's the loner who has to work with a kid. Get it?

Wolverine isn't really a loner, he is a member of two different teams nowadays. The fact is being the "loner" member of a team, that person is still a member of that team, a bigger loner is someone who is not member of any team, like DD. Wolverine can no longer call himself a loner and neither can Batman.

Also Batman is in a book called "Superman/Batman" which means Batman teams up with Superman every month , DD is not a title where he teams up with people every month.

Also its not just the fact that Batman has Robin, over the years Batman has had 3 Robins (one became Nightwing who Batman still teams with often) 2 Batgirls (one active, the other still helps as Oracle) Huntress and Spoiler (who is now dead). Seriously Batman has own his informal team running around helping him.

So for DD to be less than loner than Batman he would have to join the Avengers, team up with Spider-Man every month and start his own little "devil" team. DD is a way bigger loner than Batman.
Stanley
Tree of Knowledge

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that for whatever reason, either people don't understand what "loner" means, or that they're attempting to use qualitative means (number of teams, sidekicks, etc.) to prove its definition as it pertains to DD and Batman.

First, "the loner member of the team" and "if you're the member of a team, you are by definition not a loner": Did you know a guy in high school who liked to keep to himself, and would rather not interact with anyone? But by the second quoted statement, he wouldn't be a loner because he's part of the high school. Don't buy that one? Maybe the kicker of the football team doesn't like to hang out with the rest of the team. Part of the team, but he's a loner. Who likes ballet. (After all, he's a kicker.)

ANYWAY

The real test of a "loner" is how he interacts with people. Both Wolverine and Batman (since they've come up in this conversation) are awkward as it relates to long committed relationships. They'd rather not interact with a team if they can help it. In Wolverine's case, you can cite any number of comics from the 70s where he digs Jean but doesn't say anything...or when he does, everybody looks twice because it's so unexpected. For Batman, he PUSHED DICK GRAYSON AWAY. There's an issue where Tim Drake is taking the Robin mantle, and Nightwing talks to Bruce in the cave...and it doesn't go well. Batman would rather be alone--he works better that way.

Now, does Matt/DD shy away from contact? No. Although Foggy, Karen, Black Widow, and any other number of supporting characters are props to the writer, they are NOT props in his life. He'd rather have no crime. He'd rather hang out with his friend/partner. He'd rather be happily married. But since he's a victim of circumstance, and the only super-powered one in his immediate group, he often does work alone.

Unfortunately, some people that are either loners themselves wishing to romanticize his plight to match theirs or just don't understand what "loner" means like to hijack the meaning and the word and affix it to Matt/DD, who is not a loner.

I hope this puts to bed any confusion.

Matt is not a loner. kthx
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: