Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

Scattered thoughts from a "new" fan

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mace'sMissingArm
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 10:10 am    Post subject: Scattered thoughts from a "new" fan Reply with quote

I've been having a lot of fun with Daredevil the last few months.

Like I posted before I read a few issues in the late 80's, but got out of comics for a little over a decade.

I got back into DD around the time the movie came out (glad I saw it before I read the issues). I've been a subscriber since then and recently I began to build a v1 collection.

I had no idea where to start so I figured Miller's runs would be a good spot. Well, some months later I have 150-the end! Plus a good mix of assorted before that, and I'm only missing three issues from the current run.

So far so good! I'm an issue into the Fall From Grace series.

Some of my favorite reads have been:

Mike Murdock- I was floored when I read the couple issues I have featuring the free-swinging alter ego of our beloved hero. Totally floored. I'm not sure I ever laughed so much over a comic before that! (I really need to get the rest of these issues.)

Anything with the Gladiator- Dunno why, but I like him. Maybe because I can remember him back to my earliest comic reading days.

Everything with the Kingpin- Willy was made for DD comics.

Of course the Milla' issues! ( I have a funny story about them for another post)

Typhoid Mary- Such a twisted *&^%! A story I read and loved back in the days of old. Still a good read!

Rotgut- I'll always remember reading that issue. Poor guy.

...there's more, but this post is getting long!
Forrest
Lowlife

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first DD issue ever was #239, the Rotgut story (first half). This was also the first superhero comic I read in my adult life in which I wasn't overwhelmed with the cheese factor of a guy running around in spandex. (Prior to that, I ocassionally read only indie stuff like The Crow, Lenore, Ghost World, Blade of the Immortal, etc.)

Nocenti is a brilliant writer!
I do agree with an statement Chichester once made that often times Nocenti's stories were good stories, but not good Daredevil stories. Too often he was a co-star in his own book. Still, she is among my favorite writers and issues 239 and 240 will also be among my favorite comics.
Pete
Fall From Grace

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forrest wrote:
I do agree with an statement Chichester once made that often times Nocenti's stories were good stories, but not good Daredevil stories. Too often he was a co-star in his own book. Still, she is among my favorite writers and issues 239 and 240 will also be among my favorite comics.

I can't believe Chichester said that. Not good Daredevil stories? When was he never the central character? Sure, a central character used to portray the storylines and issues that the writer wanted to convey, (and don't all writers do that?) but still the central character. He was never the co-star in any way. People like Brandy, and Number Nine, and the Inhumans were great vehicles for what Nocenti wanted to say, but Matt/DD was always central for me. I never once read Nocenti's stuff and thought 'This just isn't DD' or 'Matt would never say that' or 'Where the hell is Matt/DD anyway'. Then Chichester came along and after 'Last Rites' thats all I was saying for years...

Chichester criticising Nocenti, bah! Nocenti is the best DD writer. Chichester's stuff is a pimple on the arse of the greatness that is Nocenti's DD run. Very Happy

I doubt Nocenti's ever criticised Chichester's stuff. It's probably so far below her radar she hasn't even noticed it. Probably never 'eard of 'im.
Forrest
Lowlife

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete wrote:
Forrest wrote:

I can't believe Chichester said that. Not good Daredevil stories? When was he never the central character?

Here are Chichester's words from Kuljit's interview with him:
"I enjoyed a lot of Ann's work on the book, but I don't necessarily think they were always Daredevil stories, so much as cool stories that DD happened to appear in."

So, let me clarify. When I said that Chichester stated "Nocenti's stories were good stories, but not good Daredevil stories," I didn't mean to imply that Chichester ever said Nocenti didn't write good stories, but rather he was commenting on the role DD played in his own book, under Nocenti's pen. I agree with Chichester's comment, even though I love Nocenti's work. Such stories of Nocenti's that come to mind are Mutant Massacre, Rotgut, Cavier Killer, Black Widow issues, and the pre-Hell-arc stuff with the super girl. Good stories, but Matt/DD was pushed to the sidelines far too often.

In my mind, this was simply one of Nocenti's weak spots. All writers have them, except Meltzer. Razz

On the note of comparing Nocenti and Chichester, I would put them at equal levels of ability. Both are among the most underrated comic writers in history. Personally, I prefer Chichester's DD. Also, I think Chichester gets a bad rap due to editorial issues and his keen ability to follow up a flawless run with some very confusing/difficult prose/structure in Fall from Grace (still an epic story in my mind), followed by a couple dud stories with pathetic villains. Nocenti's weak spots a much more dispursed throughout her run and not so neatly divided as Chichester's.

I would love to see either of them return to the character.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: