Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

Jack Nicholson's Joker Vs. Heath Ledger's Joker

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The off-topic section
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which Joker did you like better? Jack's or Heath's?
Jack's
25%
 25%  [ 3 ]
Heath's
75%
 75%  [ 9 ]
Total Votes : 12

Punisher74
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 6:29 pm    Post subject: Jack Nicholson's Joker Vs. Heath Ledger's Joker Reply with quote

I liked Jack's better. He was more fun and entertaining. Ledger's just didn't have enough funny lines. He was too serious.
Francesco
Underboss

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jack Nicholson's.
Dimetre
Underboss

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really enjoyed Nicholson's Joker at the time, but it's been twenty years since, and the way the character has evolved in comics and animation in the two decades since, Nicholson's Joker now seems almost like a quaint throwback to Cesar Romero's Joker.

I voted for Ledger's Joker. It's more in keeping with the horrific aspects of the modern Joker. But what really astounded me was that there was such a demented logic to the character, but it was a logic nevertheless. And the image of the Joker in the nurse's dress stumbling out of the exploding hospital is an iconic piece of cinema.
train
Guardian Devil

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i agree with dimetre. nicholson's joker was just a bad guy. ledger's joker was insane...really almost scary.
james castle
Devil in Cell-Block D

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I voted for Ledger's but I think true genius would be somewhere in between. Jack's Joker had the "Joker" part of it down while Ledger's had the insane side down. Yeah, he's supposed to have an insane twisted logic but I think he's also supposed to think everything is a bit funny (which is actually just an extension of the logic). Obviously I love The Killing Joke (and you should too) and I think one of the greatest scenes is near the beginning when he kills the guy who sells him the carnival. "What are you crazy? I love it." (or some such thing) while he's smiling away. In a way Ledger's Joker wasn't crazy enough.

So why can't you see the funny side?
Why aren't you laughing?
fox_limbo
Humanity's Fathom

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both Nicholson's and Ledger's portrayal of the Joker were a fun romp with the character that essentially "stole the show".

Nicholson's portrayal, to me, seemed to follow in the footsteps of Cesar Romero in the Adam West "Batman" televison show from the late 60's. Whereas the vision of the recent Joker was a bit more of a departure (and possibly closer to the true spirit of the Joker in this post-Frank Miller age, for lack of a better term). Whether it was the vision of Christopher Nolan or Heath or a combination of the two... Heath's Joker was an anarchist punk rocker on acid. It was, dare I say it, original and, without question, a truly chilling portrayal. In that regard, hands down, this should go to Heath's. But that does not discount that Jack's characterization wasn't fun to watch, because it most certainly was.
train
Guardian Devil

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

james castle wrote:
In a way Ledger's Joker wasn't crazy enough.

in what way? the Ledger joker was much more unsettling (read crazy) in my opinion. crazy in that there was nothing that he wouldn't do in order to complete the plan. that's Hitler crazy, and in my book, Hitler crazy is as crazy as it gets.
Dash
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Jack Nicholson joker was awesome because well...it was Jack Nicholson as the Joker. Aside from the make up and purple costume, it was really just Jack Nicholson being Jack Nicholson.

As far as Heath Ledger goes, he took the character to new realms of realism and insanity. While some would say that the part became more popular after his death etc etc. It still would have been amazing if he would have lived.

Other than the fact that they played the Joker, there's not much linking these two or their performances for that matter. Completely different comparisons.

But if I had to choose....

Jack Nicholson, only because he danced to Prince numerous times in the movie.
Knatty Dreadnok
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not once did I ever see or get any humor from Heath Ledger's Joker. It's practically nonexistent. I missed the humor and the lack of firearms... the knives detracted from a lot of the humor. Strange I know but I was less likely to laugh when Heath put a blade in someones mouth or placed it at someones throat. On the other hand I cracked up several times at Jack's antics even the few occasions when he shot someone or better yet when he pulled out that exaggerated Smith & Wesson and blew that sh!t out the Bat-Jet! ROFLMAO!!! Nevertheless, I found Heath Ledger entertaining but nothing particularly outstanding. I agree with James Castle, the PERFECT Joker would be a BALANCE between the two. Although... I think Jack's Joker is a bit closer to the comic character. Come to think of it, Jack Nicholson made that movie!

It was similar to watching Tombstone. Val Kilmer stole the spotlight from Kurt Russell with a combination of rich acting, excellent lines an un-sway-able charisma. To this day, over the years after viewing a body of Jack Nicholson's work, I really do believe he has a few screws loose and was the BEST actor suited to play the part. Keaton's Batman was similar to casting Nick Cage as Ghost Rider. To be blunt, it should have NEVER happened! Still I'd say the main thing that detracted from the first Batman aside from Keaton's presence was the killing. Once the Joker was killed I automatically knew a reboot would be in order. That was sacrilege to whack a cornerstone antagonist like that.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The off-topic section All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: