Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

No DD or JJ seasons until at least 2018

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The Netflix show and other movies
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jriddle
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 2:31 pm    Post subject: No DD or JJ seasons until at least 2018 Reply with quote

Marvel and Netflix continue to treat success as a burden; Ted Sarandos has confirmed they plan to stick with the two-Marvel-projects-a-year approach to the Netflix series:
http://screenrant.com/daredevil-jessica-jones-new-seasons-2018/

From the article:

"If Marvel and Netflix absolutely refuse to go to three releases a year, that means it’ll be over three whole years from now before fans get to see either Frank Castle’s solo debut or see how the fallout of The Defenders has affected Daredevil."

And here's the problem with that, kiddes, if I may, for a moment, grind what's becoming an old saw of mine: this isn't sustainable. Not if these series are to continue with any degree of consistency.

The original Marvel Netflix schedule was to do four 13-episode series that would debut over the course of 2015, with the "Defenders" crossover mini some time in early 2016. As it stands, we're not even going to be getting Iron Fist for another year. For whatever reason, Marvel has opted to produce only one project at a time, with minimal overlap. This has created a major bottleneck and there's no way they're going to be able to retain personnel at this just-announced pace. That's just not how television works. Each of these shows have hundreds of people working on them. With a successful television series, everyone expects to go back to work in five or six months. That article tries to spin the delays and suggest the extra time will give the creators the chance to really get it right but what it will really do is just encourage them to move on to other projects--the writers, producers, crew and yes, even the cast. Few are going to sign on to a series then sit idle without work or pay for years waiting for Marvel and Netflix to get their scheduling **** together. They have other creative interests and families to feed. And with those people will also depart any consistency.

I'm told DD season 2, which I haven't yet watched, left a number of dangling plot threads that need to be addressed, threads that will have to be pushed aside for the crossover mini. LUKE CAGE s1 has been finished for some time now but Marvel and Netflix have opted to sit on it until nearly October, which just increases the time its cast and crew will have to wait before work begins on any second season. JESSICA JONES s1 finished shooting in July 2015, DD S2 finished shooting in Dec. 2015, CAGE S1 finished shooting in March. IRON FIST is shooting now and will finish principal photography some time in Oct. or Nov., at which point the DEFENDERS mini will start shooting. If Marvel follows the original plan for it--a 3-part crossover event, six hours long--it will be three months of production time and because it stars the central character of each of the individual shows, there won't be any overlap possible while it's in the works. Even if JJ S2, which has already been announced, were to start shooting in February--the earliest time the one-at-a-time schedule will allow--its crew will have been left idle for nearly a year-and-a-half, just to do a second season. The clock is ticking on the crews on all the rest of the series as well. DD s3 will only even be possible about 2 years after the second. CAGE and IRON FIST will probably be looking at second seasons too and Marvel just put THE PUNISHER into development. Unless Marvel steps up the production schedule--and I mean radically steps it up-- or take some other approach (the Cage and IF shows could be combined and that's something I really want to see; JJ could eventually be folded into it as well), the delays are going to cost these projects dearly.

Last edited by jriddle on Thu Jul 28, 2016 8:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Movies have substantial delays between sequels. Non-American shows (such as Doctor Who and Sherlock) often have gaps between seasons. We're moving beyond the American television model and Netflix is an ideal place to do it. I'd rather they conserve resources, take their time, and ensure they release a high quality product as much as I want more right away.

Not sure what to read next? Check out the Book Club for some ideas!

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons
jriddle
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This isn't really about wanting more sooner. I'd like that too but if the shows are good, I don't care about the wait. The problem, as already outlined, is that those working on the show won't be able to wait like this. This isn't analogous to feature-film sequels, which pay much better, may not happen for years or even decades and each is a separate project. An open-ended tv series eats up much more time and requires much more of a commitment.

In a period of six years, the cast and crew of THE WALKING DEAD, to pull out a successful example, have done 99 episodes--the equivalent of perhaps 55 or more feature films, taking into account the extra-long eps. If it had been adapted as a run of features, they may be on the third one by now (but probably only have 2 in the can).

Losing important creative people will have an effect on the final product--that's a will, not an if--and the record of projects that undergo major creative turnover like that isn't good (TWD is a great example of this as well).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The Netflix show and other movies All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: