Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

DAREDEVIL #4 Preview, Reviews and Discussion

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What did you think of DAREDEVIL #4?
25%
 25%  [ 1 ]
50%
 50%  [ 2 ]
25%
 25%  [ 1 ]
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 4

Kuljit Mithra
Hardcore

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:39 pm    Post subject: DAREDEVIL #4 Preview, Reviews and Discussion Reply with quote

DAREDEVIL #4 by Zdarsky, Checchetto and Gho ships April 17th and here's a preview!

http://www.manwithoutfear.com/gallery/Daredevil-V6-004

Please use this thread for all discussion when the issue ships!
Dimetre
Underboss

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was very eager to read this issue, and I was really enjoying it until that last page. That last splash page really confuses me.

What are Zdarsky and Checchetto trying to say? They couldn't have made it any clearer that Matt isn't Frank. He's never going to be Frank. Why on earth would he wear his t-shirt?

I really don't like the Punisher, and I find his fans rather disturbing. I guess they think Frank is a badass. Is this just a way to make Matt seem more badass?

I like that Matt has owned up that he killed that guy, and that he's willing to do penance for it. I like that Cole is conflicted by his aversion to both Daredevil and Fisk. There's a lot of great stuff in this issue, and, as always, Checchetto's art is beautiful.

But that last splash page is just too provocative. There is nothing leading up to it that justifies it. It just comes out of nowhere. Does that last page exist just to provoke?

The obvious answer to that question is, "Read the next issue," and I surely will. However, I'm skeptical that the explanation for Matt's donning of Frank's shirt is going to satisfy me. I really can't follow Matt's thought process here.

So I gave this issue a 3.
Daredevil24
Humanity's Fathom

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this issue waa the weakest so far. Chip must really be influenced by the Netflix series judging by him making Castle call Matt, red. Anyways this was pretty predictable and kinda boring. I've seen too much of Frank and Matt fighting over morality and it's become cliche. I like both characters so it's unfortunate I didn't enjoy this issue much. You don't have to agree with Frank's methods to think he's cool. He's not real and his concept is interesting. The last Daredevil comic I really like featuring Punisher is the Devil in Cell Block D since it was something different. Frank doesn't want Matt to be like him nor would he try to kill him.
Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I disagree with everyone else. I thought this issue was great. The Punisher/Daredevil debate has been done to death, but it was stated perfectly in this issue. Any fear I had about Matt Murdock abandoning what he is was addressed. At the same time, they didn't sugarcoat it. The Punisher made his points and, in the end, the criminal who was there, who was just as complicated as anyone else, ended up dead. But dead in a way that Daredevil would have possibly found justified (if it wasn't for the fact that Castle wanted him to do that specifically so he could kill him). And, in the end, the admission Matt makes to himself was the right one. I didn't want a copout and it doesn't look like there will be one. As for Matt being the Punisher or any implication based on the final panel. I think it's meant to raise some questions based on Castle's accusations, but I don't think the story ever went there and I wouldn't read it as doing more than raising doubt.

Five Stars.

Dimetre wrote:

What are Zdarsky and Checchetto trying to say? They couldn't have made it any clearer that Matt isn't Frank. He's never going to be Frank. Why on earth would he wear his t-shirt?

I take it you don't think the answer is as simple as him no longer having a shirt? Wink

Not sure what to read next? Check out the Book Club for some ideas!

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons
Dimetre
Underboss

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Murdock wrote:

Dimetre wrote:

I take it you don't think the answer is as simple as him no longer having a shirt? Wink

No. I think much more intentional is afoot.
lcarr1991
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There’s nothing i can say about the morality debate that hasn’t been said already. What i will say is that i’m happy that the owl seems to be coming back. I’ve always said he’s hugely underrated and not used nearly enough for one of daredevils top foes.

I’m of two minds about how easily dd dispatched punisher and how he basically pointed out that he’s no real threat to him. Even going as far as saying that if he wanted to kill him it would be really easy. Based on their power sets this seems about right but in their long long history this has never really been presented as the case before. Plus it massively devalues the punisher who i’m no big fan of but i still don’t like the idea of writers belittling other heroes in an effort to show how badass theirs is. Thats a worrying precedent to set.
Lundonj
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't posted in a very long time, but I really like the new series.

Frank saved Matt because he could and he wanted to rub Matt's hypocrisy in his face about NOT killing.

And, I thought Matt's response fit the bill. Whatever else happens, Daredevil isn't the Punisher. It's a fair point that DD brought up -- if he wanted to, he sure could be a far more efficient killing machine than Frank. But again, that ain't him.

I really like the Punisher, but he isn't a hero in any sense, math or no math. Being your own judge, jury and executioner is about as anti-social as it gets. I know why Frank is broken at least, and the entertainment happens in that you never know what he will do next. It doesn't make him a good guy.

Their ongoing debate has been fascinating to watch. I find that despite some decent points Frank makes about how much of the law Matt breaks, there isn't any analogy that makes them the SAME.

Chip's run so far has a bit of a Brubaker feel to me, and I loved that run.
Daredevil24
Humanity's Fathom

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lcarr1991 wrote:
There’s nothing i can say about the morality debate that hasn’t been said already. What i will say is that i’m happy that the owl seems to be coming back. I’ve always said he’s hugely underrated and not used nearly enough for one of daredevils top foes.

I’m of two minds about how easily dd dispatched punisher and how he basically pointed out that he’s no real threat to him. Even going as far as saying that if he wanted to kill him it would be really easy. Based on their power sets this seems about right but in their long long history this has never really been presented as the case before. Plus it massively devalues the punisher who i’m no big fan of but i still don’t like the idea of writers belittling other heroes in an effort to show how badass theirs is. Thats a worrying precedent to set.
He just got his ass handed to him by a boxing detective. How he could think he'd handle Frank Castle while wounded and just fresh out of physical therapy is beyond me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: