Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

DAREDEVIL #26 Preview, Reviews and Discussion

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What did you think of DAREDEVIL #26?
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
16%
 16%  [ 1 ]
50%
 50%  [ 3 ]
33%
 33%  [ 2 ]
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 6

Kuljit Mithra
Hardcore

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 3:18 pm    Post subject: DAREDEVIL #26 Preview, Reviews and Discussion Reply with quote

After eight long weeks since the previous issue, DAREDEVIL #26 will ship on January 27th. Here is the cover and a preview!

http://www.manwithoutfear.com/gallery/Daredevil-V6-026

DAREDEVIL #26 by Zdarsky, Checchetto, Hawthorne, Di Benedetto, Menyz and Cowles ships next week!

Please use this thread for all discussion when the issue ships
Dimetre
Underboss

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't been following King in Black, and I have no interest in following it. I know who Knull is because of Silver Surfer: Black, which I thought was great, but I don't need a crossover, and I certainly don't need one to invade Daredevil. The last one to invade Daredevil was Original Sin, and I think that felt less disruptive than King in Black, which looks to still be in play for next issue.

As annoyed as I am about this crossover event, I will say this: it's giving Elektra a good test to prove her worth as the guardian of Hell's Kitchen. It was also good to have some time with Matt in prison, and Marcus is proving to be a good friend who is challenging Matt's perspective on matters, in addition to injecting some social commentary.

I was kind of stunned that Chip Zdarsky threw in a reference to an old issue of Daredevil from 1969. I had to dig out my copy of Marvel Masterworks Volume 6 to see what Crime Wave's deal was. It's too bad Mike Murdock didn't get advance warning of this reference, because we could have timed #59 and #60 for the Book Club.

I was also surprised to see that Marco Checchetto didn't do all the art chores for this issue, but split duties with Mike Hawthorne. I don't think their styles are similar enough to make the transition from page to page as seamless as it should be. Hawthorne lacks Checchetto's level of detail.

I found it weird that we spent as much time with Alice and her mother as we did, and I can't figure out why. Have we met them before? Am I forgetting something? Are they members of the Libris family? Perhaps Zdarsky wanted us to get to know them before the mother got absorbed by a symbiote so it would trigger an emotional response. That I can understand, but it would have been better if they were civilian characters that we had gotten to know in an earlier issue.

I'm not sure if all of the symbiotes that appear in this issue are controlled by Knull. Is Knull in the symbiote shared with Typhoid, or the one with Alice's mother? Maybe I'll reacquaint myself with Knull by rereading Silver Surfer: Black, which I recommend whole-heartedly for the Tradd Moore art alone.

This issue's ending is a shocking cliffhanger. I don't know how many other King in Black tie-ins are pulling a similar trick, but I am anxious to read the next issue, so it's doing its job.

Still, Zdarsky's Daredevil was doing great before King in Black came out of nowhere to rear its sloppy head. I think this issue would have been better off without all the attention to Alice and her mother. If we could have had Matt and Elektra as our two main focuses, that would have helped. In the end, I gave this issue a three.
Thayrone Ibsen
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly, since #20 I don't feel all that comfortable and excited about Zdarsky's run anymore. So much has been added, and not for good results so far. For example, how much time are we going to have Elektra as Daredevil? Is it really that lovely? Apart from the nice design of her suit, I don't think so. And Matt is supposed to spend two years in prison. Elektra (who should have been kept in her grave, I repeat) is a fickle character at best. There is no real personality there, unless we establish her as bipolar, at least. Now she murders people for money; wait, now she is a heroine; but wait, now she is something in-between. And this goes on and on. Now she wants to destroy The Hand once and for all. Okay. First, this is never going to happen because that group of lifeless nobodies was farmed for every other hero in the Marvel universe and second, please, The Hand is never a real threat, at least not since their debut in Daredevil.

Oh, and in case someone actually reads this, about Elektra's new goal regarding The Hand: why is her hair and overall look so similar to her original ones, since this recent Fist (yes, it was already used by "mr" Soule, as Mike Murdock pointed out) is kind of supposed to be contemporary? I'm talking about those flashbacks.

Regarding Knull. Yes, really unnecessary stuff, this tie-in stuff, but Daredevil's editor is the same for Venom, so there you go.
Unfortunately, due to morbid curiosity, I have been following the absolutely mediocre Knull event (well, those big events have been mediocre for quite some time). In my understanding, yes, all of the symbiotes we see in this issue are under Knull's control, his "hive connection". I don't think Knull actually communicates with every single one of the people his symbiotes control, it's more like a general idea/message that is sent to their brains/bodies. So I don't think that what we got in the last page is an actual bond between those two.
And yes, I suffered through those Alice and hated mom pages. In a book with such restraint for pages, did we really need to spend three with an obnoxious generic teenager? Well, maybe she is going to be Elektra's Blindspot! Wouldn't that be awesome?!
Daredevil24
Humanity's Fathom

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thayrone Ibsen wrote:
Honestly, since #20 I don't feel all that comfortable and excited about Zdarsky's run anymore. So much has been added, and not for good results so far. For example, how much time are we going to have Elektra as Daredevil? Is it really that lovely? Apart from the nice design of her suit, I don't think so. And Matt is supposed to spend two years in prison. Elektra (who should have been kept in her grave, I repeat) is a fickle character at best. There is no real personality there, unless we establish her as bipolar, at least. Now she murders people for money; wait, now she is a heroine; but wait, now she is something in-between. And this goes on and on. Now she wants to destroy The Hand once and for all. Okay. First, this is never going to happen because that group of lifeless nobodies was farmed for every other hero in the Marvel universe and second, please, The Hand is never a real threat, at least not since their debut in Daredevil.

Oh, and in case someone actually reads this, about Elektra's new goal regarding The Hand: why is her hair and overall look so similar to her original ones, since this recent Fist (yes, it was already used by "mr" Soule, as Mike Murdock pointed out) is kind of supposed to be contemporary? I'm talking about those flashbacks.

Regarding Knull. Yes, really unnecessary stuff, this tie-in stuff, but Daredevil's editor is the same for Venom, so there you go.
Unfortunately, due to morbid curiosity, I have been following the absolutely mediocre Knull event (well, those big events have been mediocre for quite some time). In my understanding, yes, all of the symbiotes we see in this issue are under Knull's control, his "hive connection". I don't think Knull actually communicates with every single one of the people his symbiotes control, it's more like a general idea/message that is sent to their brains/bodies. So I don't think that what we got in the last page is an actual bond between those two.
And yes, I suffered through those Alice and hated mom pages. In a book with such restraint for pages, did we really need to spend three with an obnoxious generic teenager? Well, maybe she is going to be Elektra's Blindspot! Wouldn't that be awesome?!
You crack me up man. I think Alice will play a role going forward but this whole tie-in feels forced. We just spent how many issues with Matt out of costume and now he's once again locked up? I sure hope the pay off is worth it.
Thayrone Ibsen
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You crack me up man. I think Alice will play a role going forward but this whole tie-in feels forced. We just spent how many issues with Matt out of costume and now he's once again locked up? I sure hope the pay off is worth it.

If you don't mind my curiosity: why is it that I "crack you up", fellow DD reader?
fubarthepanda
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poor Matt, not only is he in prison for killing someone (whoops), but now he's the Daredevil who was "Knullified" while the new Daredevil gets to shine in his spotlight.

But, yeah, a crossover with no context, multiple artists with conflicting art styles, superfluous pages spent on bystanders, no advancement of the Hand story... basically filler.

In advance of this, I did reluctantly buy/read the first three issues of the main King In Black mini. Unfortunately, Elektra as Daredevil only shows up in the background of a single panel in issue #1. Call me a sucker...
macjr33
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Overall, I thought this was descent issue especially given that it was a tie-in that I am sure Zdarsky would have preferred to not have to do.

Looking at the positives, I liked the call back to the early DD issues; however, I really liked the discussion Matt had with Marcus as it challenges a bit for Matt this idea that he is paying for his crime when he can just go back out and take his mask off and return to a normal life. Also, that Matt received 2 years for manslaughter where as Marcus received 3 years for drug possession goes to further show the inequities of our justice system especially when you add in that Marcus is a POC. I am wondering if this experience in prison will inspire Matt to be a defense attorney again to fight against these inequities?

Another thing I liked was the story with Elektra. Perhaps the focus on the Alice and her mom was a little longer than it needed to be; however, I don't mind when we focus in more of the people of Hell's Kitchen because that is, to me, what makes the book special and Daredevil as a hero special is the impact he has for his city. So instances like this, or Elektra helping the homeless women earlier in the run or even thinking about the people talking about their experiences with Daredevil during the "Decalogue" arc during Bendis' run is something I like from time to time. With all that said, I am wondering if Alice is going to have an ongoing role in the story.

Also, what this showed is that Elektra is beginning to change. Elektra before assuming the mantle of Daredevil, would just have let Alice die, as she said she is weak. Why is she helping her? Much like being in prison may change Matt, especially now as he is "listening", how will being Daredevil change Elektra? That is an exciting thing to explore and as I said before while I don't love how we got here, I am intrigued on where this can go.

My biggest criticism of the run has been the whole Mike Murdock thing so at least we didn't have to deal with that this issue so that is a positive as well.

As for the negatives, I agree with some others that Hawthorne's art is just not at the same level as Chechetto and it does affect my enjoyment of the book a bit.

I also would prefer Daredevil to avoid the tie-in with the King in Black cross-over; however, I certainly understand why it happened. My assumption is that Matt's transformation will be short-lived and have no real lasting impact. Unfortunately, most tie-ins are not like what we got from Original Sin when Waid wrote what may have been his best story with Matt learning the truth of why Maggie left.

So in conclusion, not the best issue in Zdarsky's run and the art situation needs to be figured out though there was enough there for me so I am going to go with 3 Stars.
DesignDevil
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I gave it a two for the artwork. Well, half of the artwork. If Checchetto had done the entire issue, I'd have given it a three. Some of those panels by Hawthorne were just pathetic.

The Elektra stuff is mildly interesting and I want to see where it goes, but everything else since issue 20 has been sad. Checchetto's occasional artwork is the only saving grace of this silliness.

Matt constantly talking about how he's doing god's work like he's one of the damn Blue Brothers is long past tiresome. Zdarsky's constant preaching of hot button social issues is tiresome, and I'm a bleeding heart Bernie Bro liberal who agrees with Zdarsky on all this, but geeez.

Everything about the prison story is just dumb. From how he got there, to Mike existing and taking his place in the real world, to him keeping the mask.

Seriously, in a world of undead ninja cults, and stupid reality altering rocks that make stupid fake twin brothers into stupid real boys, the most unbelievable thing in the book is the fact that Matt hasn't been dog piled in his cell by the guards (to say nothing of the other cons) and had that mask ripped off.

And you just know soon enough we're getting a Mike issue with all the nonsense that will entail, and god knows how stupid Foggy and Kirsten will continue to be portrayed.

So many interesting characters and plot lines seem to have been abandoned in favor of gimmicks like Knull, Elektra as DD, and the prison crap.
macjr33
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RGdesigner wrote:
Zdarsky's constant preaching of hot button social issues is tiresome, and I'm a bleeding heart Bernie Bro liberal who agrees with Zdarsky on all this, but geeez.

I may be biased here as I too agree with Zdarsky on all of this as very liberal/progressive person myself; however, I would suggest that it at least feels natural to the story and not forced or shoehorned in like it did at times during Noccenti's run even though I agreed with a lot of what she was trying to say there as well.

As I mentioned in my earlier post I think this could get Matt to rethink the use of our justice system, and given his profession as a lawyer, I think it has merit.
DesignDevil
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
As I mentioned in my earlier post I think this could get Matt to rethink the use of our justice system, and given his profession as a lawyer, I think it has merit.

See, this actually makes me like it less. Matt shouldn't have to be told this stuff and come to some revelation that makes him a better lawyer down the road. He's always been a bleeding heart liberal lawyer fighting for the little guys. He's probably pushing 40. He's been to prison before. He knows the ins and outs of the justice system intricately. He's an intelligent, competent, savvy guy, or at least he used to be. This, like so many things over the last 10 years, makes him look like a complete dunce. "Oh, the justice system in this country doesn't treat everyone fairly? Wow, thanks." Yeah, Matt can suffer from tunnel vision but he's not dumb. If anything, he should've been giving this speech to someone, fully aware of how lucky he is with his situation.

And drawing attention to the stupidity of the mask he gets to wear does the story no favors.
Daredevil24
Humanity's Fathom

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thayrone Ibsen wrote:
Quote:

If you don't mind my curiosity: why is it that I "crack you up", fellow DD reader?
I definitely understand your curiosity. I just thought your post was funny and I enjoyed reading it buddy.
Thayrone Ibsen
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daredevil24 wrote:
Thayrone Ibsen wrote:
Quote:

I definitely understand your curiosity. I just thought your post was funny and I enjoyed reading it buddy.

Good to know you liked the humorous tone Smile
Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did read a little of the current Venom run to get a vague sense of this King in Black thing, but I'm not up to date so there's a lot I don't know. Interestingly enough, the Venom symbiotes actually give this an Inferno feel. They remind me of the demons that terrorize and possess people. Having Typhoid Mary reinforces that (although, with the symbiote weakness to fire, it would have been cool if she was the secret weapon against them). I don't remember the story with the lawyer and her daughter. Are they new characters or did I just forget about them?

I honestly think Zdarsky is doing a better job portraying prison life than Brubaker did. I do like that, as Daredevil, he has to pretend to be sighted so he can't do a lot of activities like book reading a prisoner would do. Crime Wave is a blast from the past when it comes to references. Even I'm struggling to remember exactly who that was. That being said, it's all a good build up to the end where you think Matt is going to fight the symbiotes in prison and win respect and the exact opposite happens. The costume definitely has Shadowland inspiration, which makes sense.

Four and a Half Stars.

Dimetre wrote:

I was kind of stunned that Chip Zdarsky threw in a reference to an old issue of Daredevil from 1969. I had to dig out my copy of Marvel Masterworks Volume 6 to see what Crime Wave's deal was. It's too bad Mike Murdock didn't get advance warning of this reference, because we could have timed #59 and #60 for the Book Club.

That was one of the first things that popped in my head. I remembered those stories being fairly forgettable so I don't know how long (if ever) until we got there on our own. There's a chance I could squeeze it in, although I think it depends on whether Black Widow will release as scheduled.

Quote:
I found it weird that we spent as much time with Alice and her mother as we did, and I can't figure out why. Have we met them before? Am I forgetting something?

I'm glad I wasn't the only one trying to remember if I missed something. It could just be that it's just showing Elektra saving the average person, but I don't know.

DesignDevil wrote:

See, this actually makes me like it less. Matt shouldn't have to be told this stuff and come to some revelation that makes him a better lawyer down the road.

I think Matt's always been guilty of hypocrisy and lack of self-awareness to some degree. He certainly champions their cause, there's no doubt about that. But he's in prison thinking he's getting equal treatment because of it when he really isn't.

Not sure what to read next? Check out the Book Club for some ideas!

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: