Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

DAREDEVIL #27 Preview, Reviews and Discussion

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What did you think of DAREDEVIL #27?
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
25%
 25%  [ 1 ]
50%
 50%  [ 2 ]
25%
 25%  [ 1 ]
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 4

Kuljit Mithra
Hardcore

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 9:29 pm    Post subject: DAREDEVIL #27 Preview, Reviews and Discussion Reply with quote

DAREDEVIL #27 by Zdarsky, Checchetto, Hawthorne, Di Beneditto, Menyz and Cowles ships February 10th and here's the cover & preview!

http://www.manwithoutfear.com/gallery/Daredevil-V6-027

Please use this thread for all discussion when the issue ships!
Daredevil24
Humanity's Fathom

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yuck. That's all I have to say.
Thayrone Ibsen
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a very good way of putting it.
I won't even repeat myself.
Just sad.
Dimetre
Underboss

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought it was an improvement over the previous issue.

I'm glad Matt was able to resist Knull and stand up to him/it.

The Elektra scenes were too chaotic with both Typhoid and Alice's mother hogging the scene. You probably didn't need both of them.

There was a double page spread where I read the panels in the wrong order, and I think Zdarsky, Checchetto and Hawthorne ought to know how to lay out panels better than that.

It's a crazy issue that, I think, hearkened back to the craziest of Ann Nocenti's issues, like when Matt descended into hell. Chip Zdarsky is a massive fan of hers, so perhaps he was shooting for that level of crazy.

I hope that's it for the King in Black tie-ins. These weren't the worst issues ever, but I'm ready for Zdarsky to get back to the story he wants to tell without editorial mandates from on high. I gave this a three.
DesignDevil
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just gonna copy and paste my response to issue 26, as it mostly all applies to 27. I've removed a few things that don't.

I gave it a two for the artwork. Well, half of the artwork. If Checchetto had done the entire issue, I'd have given it a three. Some of those panels by Hawthorne were just pathetic.

The Elektra stuff is mildly interesting and I want to see where it goes, but everything else since issue 20 has been sad. Checchetto's occasional artwork is the only saving grace of this silliness.

Matt constantly talking about how he's doing god's work like he's one of the damn Blues Brothers is long past tiresome.

Everything about the prison story is just dumb. From how he got there, to Mike existing and taking his place in the real world, to him keeping the mask.

Seriously, in a world of undead ninja cults, and stupid reality altering rocks that make stupid fake twin brothers into stupid real boys, the most unbelievable thing in the book is the fact that Matt hasn't been dog piled in his cell by the guards (to say nothing of the other cons) and had that mask ripped off.

And you just know soon enough we're getting a Mike issue with all the nonsense that will entail, and god knows how stupid Foggy and Kirsten will continue to be portrayed.

So many interesting characters and plot lines seem to have been abandoned in favor of gimmicks like Knull, Elektra as DD, and the prison crap.
Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elektra/Daredevil's sai grappling hook is really cool. I can't not geek out over that. I like the balance in trying to be like Matt and be like Elektra all at the same time.

I didn't expect Daredevil/Venom to be an exploration of Matt's conflict as much as it is. That's pretty cool. It also gives him a power upgrade, which is useful right about now.

Side note: I once had an idea for a Daredevil story where Matt has to defend Cletus Cassady. As part of the story, he tries the Carnage symbiote to find out if it is to blame for Cassady's violence, leading to a cool visual image of Daredevil as Carnage. I guess Zdarsky stole my thunder - oh well.

Four and a Half Stars. I really liked this tie-in despite not really expecting to. It did a good job of continuing the story it needed to tell without letting the event distract it. Of course, it doesn't really do much to explore the King in Black concept, so that probably helped.

Not sure what to read next? Check out the Book Club for some ideas!

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons
fubarthepanda
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, like last issue, this is another tangential event tie-in with some jumbled art and storyelling. However, it gets slightly higher marks than its predecessor in that the resolution to the Knullified DD cliffhanger involves Matt fighting off Knull's influence himself instead of him being a fall guy for another hero (i.e. Elektra) to take down, so I'm glad Zdarsky avoided that old chestnut.

I also may have read it wrong (again, the storytelling was a bit of a mess this issue), but Elektra seemed to imply that she hadn't met Typhoid Mary before during their encounter. Which got me thinking and I'm pretty sure they crossed paths during Shadowland, although I feel like a more significant encounter is out there somewhere beyond the reach of my fading memory...

And for anyone keeping score, no, neither DD appears in King In Black #4, so, with one issue remaining in the event, there's just a one panel cameo in issue #1 to tie this story into.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: