Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

DAREDEVIL #28 Preview, Reviews and Discussion

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What did you think of DAREDEVIL #28?
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
66%
 66%  [ 2 ]
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
33%
 33%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 3

Kuljit Mithra
Hardcore

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 5:13 pm    Post subject: DAREDEVIL #28 Preview, Reviews and Discussion Reply with quote

DAREDEVIL #28 is out this week, and here's the cover and preview!

http://www.manwithoutfear.com/gallery/Daredevil-V6-028

Please use this thread for all discussion when the issue ships!
By Zdarsky, Checchetto, Menyz and Cowles.
Daredevil24
Humanity's Fathom

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man...I'm not feeling this series anymore. I guess the comic had it's moments but was it necessary to have Elektra replace Matt? The self loathing is getting a bit ridiculous now, even for Matt Murdock standards. I dunno...
Thayrone Ibsen
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Daredevil24 It's impressive, huh?
I mean, after everything that led up to #20, after the slow burn that started at #11... After so many calm moments for Matt to realize stuff and grow up some more and get back on his feet (again, that was what #19 and #20 seemed to give us), everything seems to be slowly undone by the very same guy who started it all! Matt always crying to God, people giving him crap for no matter what he does, now he is even questioning his being in prison... Yeah, impressive. And yeah, maybe we should get ready for a comic in which Elektra is the only Daredevil from now on.
Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The beginning of this issue is a bit confusing because it jumps between stories quite frequently. I like each individual component, though. It feels like this is a re-setting and picking up the pieces issue in some way. I do feel like we needed a bit more of Mary as a whole person before we are told that she's now disjointed.

I like the speech between Matt and Kirsten. It's interesting to note that Kirsten was once a prosecutor so there's an argument to be made that this isn't a speech she should make. Don't get me wrong, there are plenty of prosecutors who lose faith in the system they're upholding, but she left so she could join a firm with Matt and Foggy. I never got the impression it was for moral grounds. It's still a good speech, though.

I like that this explores the ambiguities of prison and even makes murderers more sympathetic. I like that it explores the hypocrisy in Matt's decision and doesn't just argue what he did was right. But it all comes crashing down in the end. The thing is, Matt feels guilty because he prosecuted someone who did need to be prosecuted. The man did commit a double homicide. It's hard to think of what other option there was. But it also doesn't necessarily feel just with what happened.

Four and a Half Stars. I know this prison plot isn't everyone's cup of tea, but I think Zdarsky is exploring some interesting concepts about the criminal justice system with the character best-suited to explore it.

Not sure what to read next? Check out the Book Club for some ideas!

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons
DesignDevil
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was probably the best issue since issue 20. It wasn't... bad, but it was carried entirely by the art. I feel like we're back in Volume 4 where Chris Samnee's pencil's were the only saving grace to a story that had gone off the rails into silly nonsense.

I'll just say again, that even though I agree with Zdarsky's politics, I am so tired of his preaching in this book. It's like he just decides to throw in whatever political headlines he happened to be reading on Facebook that day into this scripts.

Kinda like Thayrone says in this thread, the slow, well told burn of the first 20 issues of this run seemed to be about rebuilding Matt and giving him new purpose and understanding. But nope, Matt sucks, and if you don't know that, don't worry because everyone in the book will tell you on every page.

Also, the guard not caring who Daredevil is? And Matt just laying maskless in the open like that? Bull****. Pathetically stupid bull****.

All that criticism said, I'm actually giving the issue a 4/5 though. I overall enjoyed it reading it, but it was definitely the art carrying it. If this had been drawn by Hawthorne, I'd have given it a 2 or 2.5.
Dimetre
Underboss

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still enjoying Chip Zdarsky's run. This is a huge improvement over the King in Black tie-ins. What some of you call preaching, I see it as having a point-of-view, which I think is integral to good art.

Also, I'm surprised to read some of the comments about Elektra being the only Daredevil, because this is clearly still Matt's book. Elektra occupies the cover and three interior pages. That's it. I'm actually relieved to see so much of Matt, because I think Zdarsky really understands him.

Still, if Marvel is going to so heavily publicize Elektra taking over the Daredevil mantle, shouldn't she be given more story? I think Zdarsky has given some valuable character insight, as to how tending to the weak is new territory for her. I also like how harsh she was to Alice towards the issue's end. That felt true to her character. But she didn't do much here. More time for Matt I guess.

My favourite thing about this issue is how much push-back Matt is getting from Marcus, Kirsten and Doctor Hayes. I feel like Matt has some very valid reasons for being in jail, but Zdarsky is writing the other side of the argument very well, and that makes the discussion very compelling to me. The phrase "inequality tourist" was particularly cutting.

I found Fisk's attitude towards Typhoid strange. He's very tender towards her, and the doctor's comments about her mental state made me think -- for a bit -- that he was visiting Vanessa. I then remembered that Vanessa died, and he said the name "Mary," but do you think that Wilson is now in love with Mary, even without her control? It's clear, in the way he pulled back his hand, that he doesn't want to be. He's afraid of ceding control to anyone.

Finally, let me say that I think Kirsten is a way better character under Zdarsky's pen than she ever was under Mark Waid's. She has a very strong point of view about prisons, and that makes her a very solid figure. We know where she stands.

The cliffhanger was probably the weakest thing about the issue, because it seemingly came out of nowhere. However, up until then, this issue marks a refreshing return to form. I'm giving it a four.
fubarthepanda
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest, I'll take mindless King in Black filler over this continued deconstruction of Matt Murdock. Shedding tears over the death of a multiple murderer simply because he did his job in prosecuting him and didn't want to be his prison buddy? Sorry, I've been reading this character since the 70's and to see him reduced to this teary-eyed, insecure man-child has got to be the low of the low. It's starting to make Shadowland look like a classic...
Thayrone Ibsen
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess it wasn't enough to have that all-out pamphlet campaign in vol.4 against depression (with Matt being a superhero who suffers from it), now he is once again saying he needs help. In a situation that he, himself chose. But yeah, I guess it's refreshing to see Matt moaning and crying yet again and having almost (if that) none evolution from those first 20 issues.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: