Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

DEVIL'S REIGN #1 Preview, Reviews and Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What did you think of DEVIL'S REIGN #1?
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
20%
 20%  [ 1 ]
60%
 60%  [ 3 ]
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
20%
 20%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 5

Dimetre
Underboss

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2022 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm thankful that Devil's Reign cleaned up some incredibly stupid ideas from Charles Soule. I hated the whole Mike thing so much. I'm guessing Chip Zdarsky is one of those writers who feel obligated to tie up loose ends left behind in continuity. I just wish he had left Mike behind. I still can't believe that Soule didn't have Mike killed off the second he created him. So at least he's dead now, and that's great.

I don't think Devil's Reign comes anywhere close to being as bad as Shadowland. First, Zdarsky is a much better writer than Andy Diggle. Second, Zdarsky worked with the groundwork laid by Soule to get to this event organically. Fisk figured out that Daredevil messed with his mind, and that triggered this crisis. I believed that Fisk would react that way. Shadowland, conversely, is based around a decision that I don't believe Daredevil is stupid or naive enough to make.

I also thought Fisk reacted true to character when he attacked the Stromwyns. Say what you want, but Zdarsky knows how to write the Kingpin. He has a great understanding of the character.

Still, I understand what you're all saying about Mike. It's a big problem, because Mike is such an irredeemably stupid character, so we're doing the opposite of grieving now that he's dead. Yet, Matt is so torn up over his death, as is Butch, and we just can't feel that. It's a big problem.

But I feel like Devil's Reign has, at least, cleaned up some problems. Shadowland only created problems. That story had Matt choose to kill Bullseye, and that showed such a colossal misunderstanding of Daredevil it made me furious. Here, Elektra got Matt to explore who he really is and that made him hold back from killing the Kingpin.

I hope Elektra stops being Daredevil, since she only intended to do that while Matt was in jail. There's no reason for her not to return to her own identity now. I'm not excited about this Fist storyline, since I think we need a longer break from Hand matters.

I would like to see the Daredevil series narrow its focus more now that these big events are done. I feel the book has been too chaotic since King in Black. Bring back Detective North. Bring back Muse. Just deal with Hell's Kitchen. I guess that will have to wait until this Fist story is through. I also hope the Stromwyns are relentless in hunting down Fisk.

I didn't think this event was as awful as some of you think it is. I can't say it's good. I think it had the potential to be. I would have preferred a Luke Cage / Wilson Fisk debate and showdown. But I think it lost focus and became sloppy. It tried to do too much, as many crossover events do.
fubarthepanda
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2022 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately, Zdarsky doesn't get to escape blame for Mike Murdock. Yes, it was Soule who manifested him as a physical "fragment", but it was Zdarsky that doubled down with that horrible Annual in which the Norm stone was used to make him "real" and retroactively rewrote Matt's entire history. Soule's "fragment" could easily have been handwaved away, but Zdarsky purposely went down a road that's simply not good for the character or franchise, imo.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: