Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

Opinions on the Zdarsky run?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
brentdevil
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2022 11:01 pm    Post subject: Opinions on the Zdarsky run? Reply with quote

How is it? Best thing since sliced bread, or overhyped? It's certainly the most the book has been talked about in ages seemingly, there seems to be real heat around the back issue prices. I haven't read the book in a while but it would need to really knock my socks off to get back in, and not just be another run of the mill average.
Daredevil24
Humanity's Fathom

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2022 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's solid. I think Mark Waid's run unequivocally overhyped to the point it was mind numbing. I hadn't really enjoyed Daredevil much since Brubaker's first three or four arcs. Soule showed flashes but the run ended up being mediocre. Chip's run is frustrating because he seems to have a good grasp on Matt and was just knocking it out of the park for nearly twenty issue...then Matt went to prison, Elektra started pretending to be Daredevil and evin Reign happened. All dark spots in in the series in my opinion. I think the relaunch has been pretty average so I guess we'll see.
DesignDevil
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zdarsky's run is carried entirely on the shoulders of the art.
The overall writing is mediocre at best. Characters are written as being very dim, lacking any common sense. The story has little internal logic. All the best moments in his run are incredibly derivative of the Netflix show and of stories by vastly better writers, especially Frank Miller, who Zdarsky loves to "homage".

Matt's Catholicism is cranked up to an absurd level that makes Kevin Smith's Daredevil look like an atheist.

Zarsky likes to have characters monologue and preach about whatever hot-button social issue was trending the day he happened to write any particular issue. I say this as a bleeding heart liberal who agrees with Zdarsky's actual politics.

The good news is you don't need to know anything about Daredevil's history or past stories to enjoy Zdarksy's run, because he throws out all of it and completely reboots the character 20 issues in with the most idiot plotline ever introduced in the book. So it doesn't matter whether you've read the works of Miller, O'Neil, Kelly, Smith, Bendis, Brubaker, Waid, etc, because all those stories happened to a different Matt Murdock than the one currently appearing in Marvel Comics.

All that said, I appear to be in minority. His run is massively popular, though I suspect if it had been some c-list artist and not Checchetto as the main creator, most people would be signing a different tune. There are several issues with some very lackluster fill-in artists that really show the weakness in the writing. You may like it. I hope you do.
claptofan
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2022 11:42 pm    Post subject: agree with this last post Reply with quote

i stopped reading this volume at around issue 20 or so it became such a preposterous story. I actually have struggled to read my favorite comic since the shadowland story and I started reading in 1989. I will still never forgive Kevin Smith killing off Karen Page and I am very grateful to the netflix show for correcting that egregious error. I read this board waiting for a preview that looks like the old Matt Murdock is back in the suit so I can start reading again, but it hasn’t happened yet. Like Design Devil said, these stories are happening to a completely different Matt Murdock than the one I grew up reading and looking up to. Not knocking any fan who likes the current run, just putting my two cents into the MWF universe.
Dimetre
Underboss

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Zdarsky's run was one of Daredevil's best of all time until the King in Black tie-in. Zdarsky showed such a true understanding of Matt and Wilson's characters, and Detective North was such a great addition to the cast. I don't mind Matt's religion being played up more than usual, since it's been a big part of his character for decades now.

The book hasn't felt the same since King in Black. Even though Zdarsky would never admit it, I suspect there has been some direction from higher up at Marvel, and the book has been trying to swim in too many directions all at once ever since. I don't mind Elektra posing as Daredevil while Matt is in jail, but I couldn't stand the shoehorning in of that little girl. Thankfully she vanished as suddenly as she showed up, which goes to show how thoughfully some aspects of the series were planned. Then there was the reappearance of Mike Murdock, my least favourite thing about Charles Soule's run. Everything about the emergence of Mike from The Reader's perusal of the Fisk files is so moronic, I was hoping it would be left in the past. I will never understand why Zdarsky brought him back only to have him killed in Devil's Reign.

That event showed a lot of promise. I was hoping for a big showdown between either Matt and Fisk, or Luke and Fisk. I don't feel like Devil's Reign gave me the payoff I wanted. At least Mike is gone.

We're only three issues in to the new volume, and I think the book is showing a tighter focus. I think Goldy is a cool villain, and I love that the Stromwyns are playing a big role again. They're so much fun to hate! I've enjoyed the the past three issues more than I enjoyed the previous dozen or so. I just wish we were taking a longer break from the Hand after overdosing on them with the Netflix shows and the Soule run, but if the Stromwyns are involved, I'm willing to see where this is going.
brentdevil
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2022 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It does my heart good to hear so many are not fans of where the book has been taken since 2010 or so, particularly Waid. I don't like his work at all and it seems cut from the same cloth as Slott- overly nerdy man-children who write with the worst excesses of the comics from their youth (like Busiek everything reads like Roy Thomas or Roger Stern only transposed to now), and then throw tantrums irl if anyone criticizes them. Think they're funny beyond words etc but the humor is just cringe and lame.

We need someone more normal to write the comic and give it a shot in the arm. I actually kind of like Donny Cates and would be curious as what he'd do, but judging from some of these answers that would be the death blow for some of you. Just no to Al Ewing or Ram V, feel like I lose brain cells when reading anything they write. The truth is Marvel doesn't really have much talent there anymore, which accounts for the reheated leftovers we've gotten since Shadowland/the last decade.
justwantacat
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2022 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am personally not much of a fan. It was decent for like the first twenty issues but ever since Mike got retconned into Matt’s life and he went to prison it’s been down hill from there. The less said about Mike the better.

There is also way too much Elektra for my tastes as I don’t like her as a character and I can’t wait until she leaves the book again. Also not looking forward to all the hand stuff that always follows her as they are Daredevil’s most bland enemy and my god I wish they actually WOULD be destroyed for good after this arc but there’s no way they will.

It also feels a bit too much like it was written for people who enjoyed the show.
Daredevil24
Humanity's Fathom

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2022 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

brentdevil wrote:
It does my heart good to hear so many are not fans of where the book has been taken since 2010 or so, particularly Waid. I don't like his work at all and it seems cut from the same cloth as Slott- overly nerdy man-children who write with the worst excesses of the comics from their youth (like Busiek everything reads like Roy Thomas or Roger Stern only transposed to now), and then throw tantrums irl if anyone criticizes them. Think they're funny beyond words etc but the humor is just cringe and lame.

We need someone more normal to write the comic and give it a shot in the arm. I actually kind of like Donny Cates and would be curious as what he'd do, but judging from some of these answers that would be the death blow for some of you. Just no to Al Ewing or Ram V, feel like I lose brain cells when reading anything they write. The truth is Marvel doesn't really have much talent there anymore, which accounts for the reheated leftovers we've gotten since Shadowland/the last decade.
I don't know why my post got deleted. Anyways, I haven't enjoyed Daredevil since the later half of Ed Brubaker's Mister Fear arc. It's a shame because I remember every Wednesday that Daredevil was released I found myself with a speeding heart racing to the comic shop to rip the book off the shelf. For me the decline started with Ed Brubaker making Matt so whiny over Mila ( a character I couldn't stand) but I still felt he finished strong. Andy Diggle had a great set-up and an opportunity to do something special with Shadowland. Sadly, the direction he took and the execution of it was cheap, sloppy and poorly constructed. Then came everybody favorite writer on this forum. The guy that could do no wrong in everyone's mind, Mark Waid ladies and gentlemen. There isn't any words in the English language that can summarize my absolute disdain, hatred and resentment for Mark Waid's bastardized take on Daredevil. He was the only writer that made me literally collect the series and ultimately end up not reading the books, particularly around the second volume. It's mind numbing how critically acclaimed that run is but that's just my opinion. I really didn't completely drop the series until Chip threw Matt in prison and made Elektra Daredevil which makes no sense. I still read it but my decades of collecting physical copies are over.
brentdevil
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2022 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daredevil24 wrote:
brentdevil wrote:

I don't know why my post got deleted. Anyways, I haven't enjoyed Daredevil since the later half of Ed Brubaker's Mister Fear arc. It's a shame because I remember every Wednesday that Daredevil was released I found myself with a speeding heart racing to the comic shop to rip the book off the shelf. For me the decline started with Ed Brubaker making Matt so whiny over Mila ( a character I couldn't stand) but I still felt he finished strong. Andy Diggle had a great set-up and an opportunity to do something special with Shadowland. Sadly, the direction he took and the execution of it was cheap, sloppy and poorly constructed. Then came everybody favorite writer on this forum. The guy that could do no wrong in everyone's mind, Mark Waid ladies and gentlemen. There isn't any words in the English language that can summarize my absolute disdain, hatred and resentment for Mark Waid's bastardized take on Daredevil. He was the only writer that made me literally collect the series and ultimately end up not reading the books, particularly around the second volume. It's mind numbing how critically acclaimed that run is but that's just my opinion. I really didn't completely drop the series until Chip threw Matt in prison and made Elektra Daredevil which makes no sense. I still read it but my decades of collecting physical copies are over.

I wholeheartedly agree. Never trust writers who put gimmicks in to look clever (Waid has used that 'my parent has been dug up from their grave- gasp' plot device at least three times), or feel something 'honoring the character's roots' is a schtick in and of itself. Just write the character, if you know him then the rest will follow naturally and the story can take whatever tone it wants. But too many people just write to promote themselves, or have some intensely stupid arc such as 'What if Spider-Man were Doc Ock/a billionaire playboy/in the multiverse' that just goes on endlessly. Write stories, not an agenda to cement your legacy on the title.

Yeah, I never thought I'd consider Brubaker the glory days, but he had some stuff I liked. Amazing so many people echo the same thought, me included, that he fell off a cliff around vol 2 #100 or so. The second volume was hampered by having that annoying 'tradition' Bendis wanted to start, which was the previous writer ends his run on a cliffhanger the next takes over- but then you just have one forever soap opera of misery. I've read the book here and there since then but I don't regret my decision to stop collecting at the end of Shadowland/512, and I had an unbroken run in single issues since 158.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: