Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

is gene colans work awfull?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics
View previous topic :: View next topic  

is gene colans artwork bloody awfull?
yes
16%
 16%  [ 2 ]
no
83%
 83%  [ 10 ]
Total Votes : 12

train
Guardian Devil

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

James,
Like Greg said above, I'd encourage you to look at Colan's art from the 70's. One of the best issues that come to mind is issue 80. The art is very cinematic and DD isn't the stay-puft marshmallow man.

I'd be willing to bet most of the negative vibe is coming from his most recent stint on DD....that run just doesn't do the man justice. Keep in mind, he was putting out a monthly comic at nearly 75 years old.
james castle
Devil in Cell-Block D

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darediva wrote:
james castle wrote:
My personal feelings on the subject are that Gene Colan does indeed suck.

Boils down to your personal taste. But it's pretty tasteless to say something like that.

Just because a few feel this way, it does not mean that Colan's work was not revolutionary and brilliant. The vast majority of people who are comic book art lovers consider him to be one of the finest.

And yet he sucks. Look, I'm just saying I don't like the rolly-polly, michellen tire man version of DD. That's all. In my humble opinion Colan's DD work looks silly and sucks. If you like a fat DD that's your problem.

Plus, I think it's pretty tasteless to call someone else's tastes tasteless.

So why can't you see the funny side?
Why aren't you laughing?
Justin K
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greg said:

I disagree (big surprise). I'd put Colan's 'peak' work up against anybody's in the industry - present or past - and it would still rate as 'at least as good'. Colan - IMO - really hit his stride in the mid to late 70s, and what really made his work shine was a good inker (i.e. Palmer, et. al.); his more recent work is not as good for several reasons... degenerative eye disease, old age, poor inking, etc.

~I am curious Greg, I may have asked you this before, but have you seen Colan's issue in the Escapist books. I found it to be very good, his mastery over shadows and human emotion comes to play very well. It is a pricey book to find, I picked up a digesty version of the first set of issues for 17.95 or so but I dare say it was worth it for Colan's work.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Greg
Fall From Grace

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Justin K wrote:
~I am curious Greg, I may have asked you this before, but have you seen Colan's issue in the Escapist books. I found it to be very good, his mastery over shadows and human emotion comes to play very well. It is a pricey book to find, I picked up a digesty version of the first set of issues for 17.95 or so but I dare say it was worth it for Colan's work.

I haven't seen it, Justin... but thanks for the heads-up on it; I'll give a call to my local comic shop and ask them to do a search for it and stick it in my box (I really do love all things "Gene Colan"!). That is actually one of the things that made Gene's work on Tomb of Dracula so vital... his use of shadows and his facial expressions... sooooo well done on that book. His work, as train points out above, on the 70s DD book was equally as great; images from DD#80 and 81 are permanently etched in my mind, especially the helicopter fight and the battle with the Owl... just simply brilliant. Smile
Justin K
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't seen it, Justin... but thanks for the heads-up on it; I'll give a call to my local comic shop and ask them to do a search for it and stick it in my box (I really do love all things "Gene Colan"!). That is actually one of the things that made Gene's work on Tomb of Dracula so vital... his use of shadows and his facial expressions... sooooo well done on that book. His work, as train points out above, on the 70s DD book was equally as great; images from DD#80 and 81 are permanently etched in my mind, especially the helicopter fight and the battle with the Owl... just simply brilliant. Smile[/quote]

Let me help you a bit with your search, I have located my copy of the book. Which is a combination of two issues (each 80 pages) Colan's work would be in the second book and the specific story is titled "The Lady or The Tiger". If I remember correctly the individual issues were $8.95. And the official title of the comic is, Michael Chabon Presents the Amazing Adventures of the Escapist. (www.darkhorse.com might also have something) I have not picked up any since. My next one will be with work done by Eisner, "The Spirit meets the Escapist" which is slated to be in #6
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
train
Guardian Devil

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

james castle wrote:
I don't like the rolly-polly, michellen tire man version of DD.

He doesn't look too roly-poly to me...
http://www.fortunecity.com/tatooine/hellblazer/257/index.html
Steve Roberts
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gene Colan is brilliant and one of the main reasons i read comics. Years back(and i AM talking YEARS BACK,boys and girls!)I was always attracted to great art and when i spotted Gene's, i was overwhelmed by his fantastic use of light and shade,(especially SHADE)and i think that an artist does tend to change over the years,and Gene is no exception.
So it all depends on which year or decade your looking at.
My personal favourite period,was his art on TOMB OF DRACULA(or DRACULA LIVES weekly if like me you live in the U.K ),but overall and over all the years,i think that Gene's art has for the greater part been excellent.
So the answer to the big question is NO,NO,and one for luck,NO!!!!Gene Colan DOES NOT SUCK!!!
But i'll tell ya who does or did, BARRY SMITH and FRANK ROBBINS. UGH!
Forrest
Lowlife

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darediva wrote:
james castle wrote:
My personal feelings on the subject are that Gene Colan does indeed suck.

Boils down to your personal taste. But it's pretty tasteless to say something like that.

I second that, Darediva.

Wow, I can't believe this thread is still active. From the title, I'd assume it would have died the day it started.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: