Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

Should Daredevil get a ongoing MAX title?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Should Daredevil get a ongoing MAX title?
Yes
50%
 50%  [ 5 ]
No
50%
 50%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 10

hellpussy
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DD now is very tame.

A MAX title doesn't have to be hundred issues. Just a short mini, say 1-6.

DD by nature is a violent character. Not a killing machine like the Punisher.

I would like to see a harshness to DD that was touched upon by Frank Millar and others.

I think Marvel should up the ante of violence and also some sex in DD.
Goddess0Whim
Fall From Grace

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Privateer wrote:

Goddess,

I have to hold you to a point, the MAX Punisher is brilliant, the Kitchen Irish #7-#12 was not great but had its moments, Mother Russia & the first #1-#6 were great. The Punisher is totally deserving of its MAX status, he is a very violent and venging personality, the MAX title gives Ennis more scope with the story and what the characters in those stories would realistically say and do.

I have read up to #27 in the previous MK Punisher series and I enjoyed some of the stories so far, but the over-riding feeling that I have is that the MK series was held back because they couldn't say or do certain things. My personal favourite was the use of "Mother-lovin" instead of, well, you know what I mean. It is pointless having a brutal agressive character and he can't act as threatening and as violent as he should be, Thus Punisher should be MAX.

see, i just didn't feel that way about the Mother Russia story line. i thin k the violence in it was certainly justified, but i don't think the discourse was written well enough to convey what could've been incredible emotions at the moment. like for example, when Frank hid the little girl in the bag and told her to cover her ears, and then told her not to play w/ guns. the whole conversation seemed stilted and moot to me beyond reason because just when he seemed to open up again, he hides the girl and starts cursing like a sailor again.
i just wasn' my cup of tea i guess.
although, was it in this arc that Fury had to get back to his "round in NYC" per sey before those became illeagal as well?
i found that somewhat inspired, even fore a female. Laughing
Top_Quality
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I LOVE MAX! i love the punisher series, and i think a small mini series for DD would be great! it will just add another face to DD
The Privateer
Redemption

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goddess0Whim wrote:

see, i just didn't feel that way about the Mother Russia story line. i thin k the violence in it was certainly justified, but i don't think the discourse was written well enough to convey what could've been incredible emotions at the moment. like for example, when Frank hid the little girl in the bag and told her to cover her ears, and then told her not to play w/ guns. the whole conversation seemed stilted and moot to me beyond reason because just when he seemed to open up again, he hides the girl and starts cursing like a sailor again.
i just wasn' my cup of tea i guess.
although, was it in this arc that Fury had to get back to his "round in NYC" per sey before those became illeagal as well?
i found that somewhat inspired, even fore a female. Laughing

Now I thought that part was written excellent. It got across to me that this brutal, bitter character was being this monster to all these soldiers and also this paternal protector of this little girl. He makes no excuses for what he does, it got across to me "do what I say, not what I do".

I enjoyed the paternal bond and extreme violence mix, I thought that the ending phrase from Fury about Frank being the only person who could go in there and actually be the only one who wouldn't kill the girl / sacrifice the girl was perfectly summed up. He is such a unique character that it is hard to justify his motives sometimes, even though you know that they are good intentioned (sort of.....?). My only complaint is that there are some good characters that have been used and have not resurfaced again, I hope that the General is used again, and to contradict my same point, I'm glad that Nicky Cavella is returning for the next story arc.

Sorry everyone, back to topic. DD is not a MAX title, I would certainly buy a MAX DD mini, but it would be out of place, perhaps like having a Spiderman MAX mini, not needed, MK offers DD all the licence he needs to get his story across.
ourchair
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For some reason, I read this subject as if DD would be MOVED to MAX rather than have another title run alongside the current Knights series.

I'm pretty much on the same page with Privateer here. I probably wouldn't mind a DD MAX title, but it doesn't feel so necessary.

Some people believe that the MAX imprint is just a license for profanity and violence, but I don't believe that is the case. It's not violence but TONE that makes the MAX imprint. Supreme Power is written in such a cynical tone while Alias portrayed such a self-destructive individual that they had no other place but MAX.

Thus, the only time DD would need the MAX label is if the violence really needs to be so graphic as to depict vivisected internal organs, explicit nudity and harsh language. And those are usually only needed in books like WE3, and never seem to be called for in Daredevil.

So DD, until Mark Millar starts writing your book, stay off the MAX.

http://gigo.jawbreaker.ph/

I Troll the Livejournals and Weblogs at Night. Searching for Justice. Blog Justice.

http://www.livejournal.com/users/experimentego
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
hellpussy
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ourchair wrote:
For some reason, I read this subject as if DD would be MOVED to MAX rather than have another title run alongside the current Knights series.

I'm pretty much on the same page with Privateer here. I probably wouldn't mind a DD MAX title, but it doesn't feel so necessary.

Some people believe that the MAX imprint is just a license for profanity and violence, but I don't believe that is the case. It's not violence but TONE that makes the MAX imprint. Supreme Power is written in such a cynical tone while Alias portrayed such a self-destructive individual that they had no other place but MAX.

Thus, the only time DD would need the MAX label is if the violence really needs to be so graphic as to depict vivisected internal organs, explicit nudity and harsh language. And those are usually only needed in books like WE3, and never seem to be called for in Daredevil.

So DD, until Mark Millar starts writing your book, stay off the MAX.

DD should go up a notch with intensity, but not shock value - that is too cliche, and Mark Millar is such a reactionary writer to the point of being predictable.

I would like issues confronted that may be a little too risky for a mainstream release, yes some gore, some violence, and maybe even sex. The story could create the intensity, with a theme that transcends away from the 'gangsta clean up hells Kitchen' scenario.

A great story would involve a cult, body parts, a insane assassin (great underutilized one, make him more fanatical and crazy), lot's of action etc etc
The Privateer
Redemption

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have only read Mark Millar's Ultimates both all vol#1 and Vol#2 to date and found him to be nothing short of excellent. I didn't find him predictable, in fact the end of vol. 1 of Ultimates, just got better and better and had a great climax (Does that sound dirty to you...?!) issue.

I still do not think that DD needs a MAX, even to cover HellPussy's subjects. MK has never held back a story with content restrictions.

All those who want a DD MAX story, I think are rather just hoping for another DD mini-series rather than a MAX rated subject. DD is not a MAX topic, if the content of DD warranted a MAX treatment, I would be concerned that it was gratuitous. How would a Fantastic Four MAX series sit? That would be uncalled for as well.

I am all for more DD mini-series or on-going series, but MAX would not offer anything to DD, violence, sex langauge etc that MK doesn't allow the writers to convey to the readers already.
JR
Humanity's Fathom

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Millar is the definition of hit or miss. He has the capacity to write some great comics. It seems he is at his best when writing tales that encompass earth shattering crisis and such, and then has trouble writing less grandiose stories. Kind of like an early Grant Morrison.

As for DD Max, I can't imagine it being well done, which is my major problem. I think whoever got the task of writing it would make it an excuse to look at Elektra's boobs more than tell us a good gritty story. As evidence of this, look at anything Chuck Austen has done for Max.

Does anyone actually know if there are other Max titles than Ennis' Punisher? I think all the other ones failed rather miserably. I have my doubts they will be trying to revamp it anytime soon, especially now with Vertigo being pushed again.

JR.
The Privateer
Redemption

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Previous MAX titles:
Fury
Luke Cage
War Machine
Alias

Current:
Punisher
Supreme Power
Doctor Spectrum

I have all of Alias, but not read them yet, and all the Punisher MAX to date. Punisher is excellent use of the MAX title. DD would not.
Nick MB
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think an ongoing DD MAX title is needed, but if someone has a specific story to tell that required the extra freedom, a mini-series would be buyable.

I'd like to dispute the "MAX should be shut down because it isn't Vertigo" thing... The two lines have nothing in common except adult content. The MAX line is superheroes for mature readers, Vertigo has no superheroes at all. I think the MAX line should be an option, at least. I wouldn't want to see Marvel pumping out thousands of them for the sake of it, but a small number of titles which do require the Adults Only rating should have a place to go.
hellpussy
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Privateer wrote:
I have only read Mark Millar's Ultimates both all vol#1 and Vol#2 to date and found him to be nothing short of excellent. I didn't find him predictable, in fact the end of vol. 1 of Ultimates, just got better and better and had a great climax (Does that sound dirty to you...?!) issue.

I still do not think that DD needs a MAX, even to cover HellPussy's subjects. MK has never held back a story with content restrictions.

All those who want a DD MAX story, I think are rather just hoping for another DD mini-series rather than a MAX rated subject. DD is not a MAX topic, if the content of DD warranted a MAX treatment, I would be concerned that it was gratuitous. How would a Fantastic Four MAX series sit? That would be uncalled for as well.

I am all for more DD mini-series or on-going series, but MAX would not offer anything to DD, violence, sex langauge etc that MK doesn't allow the writers to convey to the readers already.

Having a DD MAX title originates from my personal opinion on the current run of DD - even it's offshoots. But after 4 yrs of similarities (mini's etc) with the current DD theme, noir style, realty crime driven, constant neurosis etc etc; a some what different slant to DD is needed. Maybe a MAX series could help that.

DD is so much more an adult character. It would be great to see some more expansion on the character even if it was somewhat more explicit. Also, a MAX title could also add other risky issues, general politics, religious influence in media./government etc, militarization, social paranoia, social prejudices. Then mix in gore, violence, sex, swearing etc.

Not really a fan of Mark Millar. To me, there is some kinda backlash style in some of his comics. Whether it's intentional; shock value, or just pointless offense to create reaction seems rampant. It's hard to know where he is coming from. 'Wanted' was a good example (the insult: 'faggot' had a mighty run in Wanted). It was way over top, with the 'victim becomes victimizer' theme in overkill. I have heard similar reviews his 'The Authority'. I have always felt Mark Millar is trying to backlash the 'left' of the spectrum in comics. Even on Millar World, MM ran a poll 'who is the gayest superhero' (!?)

I think Mark Millar couldn't handle DD, or if he did write DD he could drag the character down more as the neurotic victim mentality - obsessive revenge, preemptive, superiority complex. Hence his (DD) style and reflection in comics.
Forrest
Lowlife

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

james castle wrote:
Is there still a MAX line? Sigh. Not only should there not be a DD MAX title, Marvel should realize that they're not DC and that Vertigo is untouchable and just pack the whole MAX nonsense in.

The Punisher MAX series is absolutely fantastic! While the idea of a MAX Daredevil book is ridiculous, very few titles shine in the less restricted MAX setting. A Daredevil MAX book would be terrible because the creators would have to find excuses to have R-rated content. However, the Punisher is inheritly violent to a level that more censored comics seriously impedes.
So, with the right book, the MAX series is beneficial. Also, the right author is needed. Ennis is absolutely fantastic in the MAX environment. Other authors would just constantly dwell in extreme violence and sex for no reason.
Basically, I defend keeping the MAX line simply because Ennis's work, including the Punisher books are fantastic. If Daredevil ever entered the MAX line, it would be massive loss for the character.
Forrest
Lowlife

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellpussy wrote:

Gritty, metaphoric, religious, great revamped and/or new villain, fast paced, violent and bloody, draw on Matts contradictions of evil and good. Action from start to finish.

I didn't know "religious" is characteristic of the MAX line! Razz
The Privateer
Redemption

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellpussy wrote:

Having a DD MAX title originates from my personal opinion on the current run of DD - even it's offshoots. But after 4 yrs of similarities (mini's etc) with the current DD theme, noir style, realty crime driven, constant neurosis etc etc; a some what different slant to DD is needed. Maybe a MAX series could help that.

DD is so much more an adult character. It would be great to see some more expansion on the character even if it was somewhat more explicit. Also, a MAX title could also add other risky issues, general politics, religious influence in media./government etc, militarization, social paranoia, social prejudices. Then mix in gore, violence, sex, swearing etc.

Totally agree about a change in slant, I really enjoy waht Bendis has done, but it is time for something new, for a change. I do not want Bendis DD to become stale so a change in December will be good. I really like Bendis, but he is not he be all and end all.

I am just not sure about DD ina MAX mini-series, the topics covered would need to be done in such a way that it did not appear forced or out of character for the title. MM all of a sudden spouting like Eminem or Joe Pesci would not fit for example. But I agree that it may open the door for more risque topics, religion is a good suggestion that would logically fit in to the DD story / mythos.

I am warming to the idea, but I still do not feel that MK has ever held back a story because of content restrictions.
The Privateer
Redemption

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forrest wrote:
james castle wrote:
Is there still a MAX line? Sigh. Not only should there not be a DD MAX title, Marvel should realize that they're not DC and that Vertigo is untouchable and just pack the whole MAX nonsense in.

The Punisher MAX series is absolutely fantastic! While the idea of a MAX Daredevil book is ridiculous, very few titles shine in the less restricted MAX setting. A Daredevil MAX book would be terrible because the creators would have to find excuses to have R-rated content. However, the Punisher is inheritly violent to a level that more censored comics seriously impedes.
So, with the right book, the MAX series is beneficial. Also, the right author is needed. Ennis is absolutely fantastic in the MAX environment. Other authors would just constantly dwell in extreme violence and sex for no reason.
Basically, I defend keeping the MAX line simply because Ennis's work, including the Punisher books are fantastic. If Daredevil ever entered the MAX line, it would be massive loss for the character.

You are spot on, The Punisher is a brilliant title, Ennis has the grasp of how to use the MAX tolerances it allows. One of my favourite monthly reads, that and DD are always my first two reads. Compared with the MK series, it shows how restrained Ennis was with the content he give use.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: