Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

Kevin Smith: Spidey/Black Cat mini (Part 2)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Will you buy the Spidey/Black Cat remaining issues?
I was going to buy it and still am!
42%
 42%  [ 3 ]
I was going to buy it, but now I'm not!
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
I was not going to buy it, but damn it, now I am!
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
I was not going to buy it, and I'm still not going to!
57%
 57%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 7

rgj
Hardcore

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 6:24 pm    Post subject: Kevin Smith: Spidey/Black Cat mini (Part 2) Reply with quote

Okay, by now you've seen the solicitation on fat-man Smith's site regarding the continuation of the Spidey/Black Cat mini. Now, there was a previous thread on this topic and some of us, like myself, were adamant about not buying it based on principle. It has also been revealed that Daredevil, himself, will guest star in the remaining issues along with Nightcrawler (has DD ever interacted with NC before??).

Anyway, my question is: For those of you who were against buying Smith's remaining issues, are you now second guessing your opinion because of the sudden guest stars in the mini??

rgj
Dave Wallace
Paradiso

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a big Spidey fan and bought the first three issues, so I'll probably follow this through as I originally intended.

DD's appearance doesn't really bother me one way or the other, but along with Nightcrawler's cameo it's making me think that it's just a guest-appearance for the sake of it... After reading the first few issues, I can't see what they'll add to the story. (Although NC's teleportation powers could be relevant to the powers of the main baddie...)
james castle
Devil in Cell-Block D

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin Smith is a hack.

Why does he have weird guest appearances in the comics he writes? Because he actually thinks he's the only person who knows who nightcrawler is. It's like in guardian devil where all the characters keep name dropping dazzler and stuff. You can almost see Smith smirking thinking how smart he is, totally oblivious that everyone knows who dazzler is and his fan-boy crap is more annoying than clever.

So I'm not going to buy this.

So why can't you see the funny side?
Why aren't you laughing?
DDmikeMN
Ninja

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was, am and will be buying "S-M/BC" because Kevin Smith is one of my favorite writers, Spidey is one of my favorite characters and I like the series so far. When "Dark Knight Strikes Again" took months and months between the second and third issues, I still bought the final issue because I like Frank Miller, I like Batman and I liked the story to that point. I fail to see any difference on principle here.
Dave Wallace
Paradiso

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DDmikeMN wrote:
I was, am and will be buying "S-M/BC" because Kevin Smith is one of my favorite writers, Spidey is one of my favorite characters and I like the series so far. When "Dark Knight Strikes Again" took months and months between the second and third issues, I still bought the final issue because I like Frank Miller, I like Batman and I liked the story to that point. I fail to see any difference on principle here.

Hmmm - DK2 is slightly different, being as it was a case of editorially-mandated changes being made to the intended content of Miller's series shortly after September 11th (as I understand it). To give him credit, Miller did write a different ending and it was turned in with art in a comparitively short space of time (six months late, or something along those lines?). Both Spidey/Black Cat and Target are late by periods of years, and I think everyone - Kevin Smith included - has attributed this to Smith's own lazy attitude to getting round to finishing them.

I'm not saying it's a good reason to pass up a comic you might enjoy - I'm certainly still interested in getting hold of it - but I can see how someone might hold off buying it on a point of principle.
DDmikeMN
Ninja

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave Wallace wrote:
Both Spidey/Black Cat and Target are late by periods of years, and I think everyone - Kevin Smith included - has attributed this to Smith's own lazy attitude to getting round to finishing them.

My point is if you like the writer, you like the character and you like the story, the delay should be taken in stride. If the delay is long enough to knock down your interest, then fine. But there's no need to make it into a "principle" thing. He hasn't actually caused anyone any injury.

I'm glad you will be reading it Dave. It's a good story and the Dodson's art is great. It's certainly better than waiting around for a story which is weak so far like the Iron Man relaunch.
daredevil99x
Fall From Grace

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't buy it when if first came out, so there's no reason for me to start now. I don't particularly care for the 616 Spider-man. He's just not as interesting to me as a married man. The character needs to be younger. That's why I prefer the Ultimate version. I am going to buy the rest of Target when it comes out.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: