Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

How do you rate Bendis' run on Daredevil?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics
View previous topic :: View next topic  

How do you rate Bendis' run on Daredevil?
51%
 51%  [ 18 ]
20%
 20%  [ 7 ]
17%
 17%  [ 6 ]
8%
 8%  [ 3 ]
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 35

TheManWithoutFear
Fall From Grace

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys compare too much. Different artist/writers give us different styles. You can't compare a run with another run because it's like comparing apples and oranges any way you look at it. You might have favorite's and least favorites but as long as a writer doesn't make some drastic change in the character himself (which Bendis didn't do) than there's no platform in comparison. I would give Miller's run and Bendis' run both 5 stars equally because they were both good in their own ways. And you're more then welcome to vote lower but don't do it because someone else's run grabbed you more than another one did. The question is "how would you rate Bendis run?" not "how does it hold up to others?"

www.UltimateCentral.com
rgj
Hardcore

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to agree with TheManWitoutFear, here. When I gave my grade on Bendis, it wasn't because I compared him to other DD scribes. As I've said before, I judge him on the merits of his individual arcs. I also ask myself what his entire run has meant for Matt Murdock/Daredevil and the 40 year old mythos. Forrest said that he give x writer 5 stars for this part of their run and y stars for another and then seems to choose which one outweighs the other. Me, I average the two parts out. For example, Chichester's pre Fall From Grace (especially his first 8 issues) were just about the best, most refreshing (truly, original--in other words didn't lean on the Miller-crutch) stuff I had ever read. Five stars, baby. But, his post Fall From Grace was just so disappointing, alot having to do with the direction the book took. Three stars, and I'm being generous. So, Chichester gets 4 stars in my book. 4 stars for Chichester for the entire thing.

I think I'll be starting a Best Bendis Arc Showdown soon. If someone like jc wants to see why someone (like me) could possibly give Bendis less than 5 stars, I'd be more then glad to go over it point by point, arc by arc, issue by issue, greatness by ridiculousness (is that a word?).

rgj
Forrest
Lowlife

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rgj wrote:

I think I'll be starting a Best Bendis Arc Showdown soon. If someone like jc wants to see why someone (like me) could possibly give Bendis less than 5 stars, I'd be more then glad to go over it point by point, arc by arc, issue by issue, greatness by ridiculousness (is that a word?).

If Elektra can help collect the Murdock Papers (even though they don't exist) after KP had her killed, if Urich got stabbed in a movie theater, etc., then "ridiculousness" is a word. Razz
james castle
Devil in Cell-Block D

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I honestly don't know what rgj is talking about. Where are these weak arc Bendis wrote? Surely everyone can agree that everything up to 50 was awesome. What was bad after that? King of Hells Kitchen? The frickin' ninja fight thing? The Widow? What? Plus, all this "let down at the end of arcs" nonsense is just nuts. Anyone who didn't think the end of The Widow was the greatest thing ever is crazy. And how about the jawdropping speach at the end of Decalogue? Those two moments alone are some of the finest in DD history.

As for the continuity stuff: so what? Honestly. We're not 12 anymore kids. Stan is no longer giving out No Prizes for spotting this crap. Demanding that a writer stick to 30+ years of continuity perfectly is not only to ask them to do something virtually impossible, it's also ridiculously restraining on them. Pointing to continuity gaffs is not the way one should think about the quality of comic writers anymore.

So why can't you see the funny side?
Why aren't you laughing?
TheManWithoutFear
Fall From Grace

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As much as some of the continuity holes in Bendis run were a little disappointing (and I do mean only a little) I give him a lot of credit for everything else he kept nodding too. I mean Decalogue had both Bullet and The Bomber in it and those were two issues that were definitely favorites of mine. I don't agree that it's ok for a writer to not keep up with continuity but I won't crucify them in an instance like this.

Bendis' USM/USM Video Game needs a lot of work though.

www.UltimateCentral.com
james castle
Devil in Cell-Block D

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheManWithoutFear wrote:
As much as some of the continuity holes in Bendis run were a little disappointing (and I do mean only a little) I give him a lot of credit for everything else he kept nodding too. I mean Decalogue had both Bullet and The Bomber in it and those were two issues that were definitely favorites of mine. I don't agree that it's ok for a writer to not keep up with continuity but I won't crucify them in an instance like this.

Bendis' USM/USM Video Game needs a lot of work though.

Continuity's been dead since Miller. Guess what? Elektra didn't exist in DD's original origin. So the Elektra Saga is crap now for fudging "continuity"? Nope. Continuity is dead, dead, dead. Now, people might say there's a difference between adding and changing but that's just nonsense. Writers should be free to write whatever story they chose within very loose borders. That's how you get the best stories.

That said, I can't believe Bendis blew off the USM game like that. It was hyped to high heaven as "in continuity". That's nuts.

Why aren't you laughing?
Forrest
Lowlife

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

james castle wrote:
I honestly don't know what rgj is talking about. Where are these weak arc Bendis wrote?

Answering for myself:

Widow - Pointless arc after Hardcore and King of Hell's Kitchen. I couldn't care less is the Widow threw herself at Matt while Maleev is drawing her all skanky. There's nothing hardcore about this arc, it was just filler at a terrible time for filler. Personally, I felt like this arc was equivalent to having my car breakdown at a gas station in some Wyoming town population 120, after I just got out of Warped Tour in Denver. It was almost a surreal nothing.
=> 2 stars

Golden Age - Pretty much, ditto. The MGH thing was uninspired. This wasn't the gripping story that the KP before Fisk, flashbacks to the yellow costume (Very Happy), etc. should have been. Loeb/Sale told 20 times the story in as many issues of DD:Yellow, and that was a retelling. With Golden Age, Bendis could have done almost anything. This arc had so much potential, but instead it spun its wheels.
=> 2 stars

Decalouge - Possibly the most disappointing comic experience of my life. Everything that I said about Widow and Golden Age arcs applies to and is infinitely magnified in Decalouge. This was the ultimate in pointless nothing mixed with one of the biggest waste of potentials I've ever read. I will say that #75 was an outstanding issue, maybe 4 or 5 stars, but the drivel the preceded it makes the whole arc a 1 to 2 stars.

Murdock Papers - such a jumbled together mess. Again, the last issue was outstanding, but the rest had so many painfully distracting errors and cheap magic tricks (I mean Bendis's writing, not the ninja magic Razz), that I was starting to feel like the whole thing was a dream.
=>1-2 stars

Right now, I really want to like these arcs. I want to give them a second chance. I think that where all this headed (essentially #81) might make these arcs more significant, enjoyable, etc. However, having read them in the order they were released, this is how it all came across.
Jack Faber
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I gave it 4 stars, here's why. First off, he had a tough act to follow with Kevin Smith and Quasada, so Underboss is forgiven of any shortcomings. Out was a groundbreaking first, so 5 stars to it, as the White Tiger trial truly was well done. The Lowlife didn't move me much, except to stall bringing the Kingpin back and starting the conflict between MM and Cage. Hardcore meets the standard that was set in Out, every issue being worth it alone. King of Hell's Kitchen is better when seen in the long run of things, connecting the beginning and end of Bendis' era, as well as the first two parts of King being worth many rereads. After that, it slowed down, but Decalogue and Murdock Papers both get 4-5 stars. In sum, disagree with me, but I'm looking at it as a whole, so some connecting parts get better ratings than they would alone. If you asked me about individual books, it would be different, but Bendis is at a 4.5, his better stuff making up for his slow moments.
Forrest
Lowlife

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jack Faber wrote:
Okay, I gave it 4 stars, here's why. First off, he had a tough act to follow with Kevin Smith and Quasada, so Underboss is forgiven of any shortcomings.

...Do you...

...I just...

...What?! Razz

...I am so confused...

"shortcomings"?! ...sorry, I'm done...

...Just kidding, Jack. To each, his own, right?
daredevil99x
Fall From Grace

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Five stars, all the way.
james castle
Devil in Cell-Block D

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jack Faber wrote:
Okay, I gave it 4 stars, here's why. First off, he had a tough act to follow with Kevin Smith and Quasada, so Underboss is forgiven of any shortcomings.

Rrrr. You're not actually saying Smith's nonsensical crap was better than Bendis are you? You can't be.

As for Forrest: The Widow was an examination of Matt and Milla. If you missed that then you missed the whole thing.

Why aren't you laughing?
Jack Faber
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

james castle wrote:
Jack Faber wrote:

Rrrr. You're not actually saying Smith's nonsensical crap was better than Bendis are you? You can't be.

As for Forrest: The Widow was an examination of Matt and Milla. If you missed that then you missed the whole thing.

I'm not saying that Smith is better than Bendis, I'm saying that Smith's Guardian Devil is better than Benids' Underboss. However, I find Out and Hardcore, just for starters, are better than Smith's Guardian.
Forrest
Lowlife

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jack Faber wrote:
I'm saying that Smith's Guardian Devil is better than Benids' Underboss.

(Find a happy place! Find a happy place! Find a happy place! Find a happy place! Find a happy place! Find a happy place! Find a happy place! Find a happy place! Find a happy place! Find a happy place! )

I'm okay.

Razz
rgj
Hardcore

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JF wrote:
I'm saying that Smith's Guardian Devil is better than Benids' Underboss

This is Bendis!'s Underboss:

This is Smith's Guardian Devil

But, hey, to each his own! Peace, baby.

rgj Razz
james castle
Devil in Cell-Block D

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jack Faber wrote:
james castle wrote:
Jack Faber wrote:

I'm not saying that Smith is better than Bendis, I'm saying that Smith's Guardian Devil is better than Benids' Underboss. However, I find Out and Hardcore, just for starters, are better than Smith's Guardian.

I've taken craps that are better comics than Guardian Devil.

Why aren't you laughing?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: