Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

How do you rate Bendis' run on Daredevil?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics
View previous topic :: View next topic  

How do you rate Bendis' run on Daredevil?
51%
 51%  [ 18 ]
20%
 20%  [ 7 ]
17%
 17%  [ 6 ]
8%
 8%  [ 3 ]
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 35

1ringwdforce
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All i have to say is...

Good luck to Ed Brubaker and all the writers after Brubaker who will try to match or even out rank the stories weaved by Brian Michael Bendis. Cool
Forrest
Lowlife

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In this fan's opinion, Bru and Lark are already leaving Bendis and Maleev in the dust! Razz

Actually, I don't think Brubaker and Lark are even going to need luck. They have the skills to pay the bills!!!
straygoat
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, first time poster here!

I'd give the run 5 stars, but then I've only read it in trade format so maybe there are pacing problems that didn't get highlighted. (I hate buying individual issues!).

For me, the whole run was interesting because it was about real issues that might affect a vigilante, not just a series of fights with costumed villains. The arcs were intelligent and showed the dangers of what Matt chooses to do. I've read a lot of criticisms of the work saying that there wasn't enough action but I praise that - I don't want to see fight after meaningless fight. That's kids stuff and Daredevil has always been a more mature character.

But the best thing about Bendis' run was that it changed the status quo. Daredevil and Matt are different at the end of the story and that can only be a good thing. It is about time Marvel learned that the best way to deal with their characters is to have them go through changes, have them make mistakes and learn from them and come out the other side a little altered. That's what makes us care about the characters. It seems to me that there's been an aggressive 'we must preserve the status quo' attitude for at least 15 years. Change is good!

There were a few minor quibbles I had with Bendis' run, but on the whole it was the best Daredevil work I have seen. Yes, I preferred it to Miller's work.
Forrest
Lowlife

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

straygoat wrote:
It is about time Marvel learned that the best way to deal with their characters is to have them go through changes, have them make mistakes and learn from them and come out the other side a little altered. That's what makes us care about the characters. It seems to me that there's been an aggressive 'we must preserve the status quo' attitude for at least 15 years. Change is good!

I'd say since the days of Stan Lee, Daredevil has been constantly evolving as you described. This is especially the case since Born Again.
straygoat
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of all the characters out there, DD has had the best writing and most character development over the years - that's probably why I am still hooked. But prior to Bendis' run, I felt things were getting a bit stale - and that includes Smith's run. I don't understand fans' appreciation of Smith to be honest...I've hated everything he has done, including his films.

I just hope that after the new run, we're not left with Matt back in Hell's Kitchen, working as a lawyer and stalking the nights as DD - that would just be a full circle and makes the whole 'out' setup pointless. And if Foggy is dead, keep him dead.

One interesting thing that I thought came up from the end of Bendis' run was what would happen to Matt psychologically if he did lose it and take Bullseye out for good? I'd like to see him struggle with guilt over commiting murder and getting away with it.
Stephan
Humanity's Fathom

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 8:04 pm    Post subject: Bendis' DISASTROUS Run Reply with quote

Bendis SULLIED our hero. That self-important, conceited, narcissistic status seeker blackened and tarnished Matthew Michael Murdock, reducing a champion of justice to a tormented prison inmate. And for what purpose? To achieve what, exactly? Are readers yearning for more? Has DD's imprisonment bolstered sales significantly? Are we moved by Matt's plight? No. Readers are either indifferent or utterly dismayed. Bendis saddled Brubaker with a senseless, meaningless plotline that (truth be told) most DD enthusiasts can barely stomach. We have been subjected to seemingly interminable years of trials and tribulations - and we are collectively weary of it. Bendis exploits Marvel characters to attain his own narrow ends - and is oblivious to the long-term damage he inflicts upon them.
train
Guardian Devil

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice to see you back 'round these parts again, stephan. what's your take on the first 2 issues of brubaker and lark?
Darediva
Wake Up

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 1:26 am    Post subject: Re: Bendis' DISASTROUS Run Reply with quote

Stephan wrote:
Readers are either indifferent or utterly dismayed. Bendis saddled Brubaker with a senseless, meaningless plotline that (truth be told) most DD enthusiasts can barely stomach.

I am neither indifferent or utterly dismayed, but I AM a reader. Hmm.

I have also found plenty of DD fans (why use a big word when a short one will suffice Rolling Eyes ) who have thoroughly enjoyed the story. I have yet to figure out exactly WHAT KIND of story you seem to think should be told, Stephan. Would you be so kind as to enlighten us?

Those who throw dirt merely lose ground.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
MercifulAvatar
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He kept me coming back for the next issue.
I can't remember him insulting my intelligence.
But I was ready for someone else.

I do hate him for bailing on The Pulse, the disloyal bastard.
Lundonj
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I gave what I read of the Bendis run two stars.

It turns out, it is the only substantive break in my run of DD books. Going in, I thought it was a match made in heaven for the devil, because I'm a big fan of Bendis' non-Marvel works (Powers, Torso, Jinx, etc.).

Looks like I made it to about #58, but was really going through the motions at that point and comics are too expensive anymore just to buy 'em for compete runs.

Every premise was solid, but the pacing and talking heads killed it for me. It was way too slow and not enough payoff in the decompressed storytelling style to keep me awake. And, I think the story ideas were decent, Matt's...erm...voice just didn't quite ring true to me. By most accounts, there was plenty of interesting adversity and a heckuva hole was dug for Matt to climb out of, it just didn't click.

Bendis writes a fun Spider-Man, at times, and I'm still checking out his New Avengers. I'm also glad his run kept the buzz going on a great character.

-Don
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: