Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

Does the creative team change your interest in DareDevil?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics
View previous topic :: View next topic  

How are you approaching the creative team change?
I'm thrilled. Forget Bendis and Maleev!
15%
 15%  [ 3 ]
I'm here for the character. My priority is the book be good.
78%
 78%  [ 15 ]
I'm in wait-and-see mode. I'll decide after a few Brubaker and Lark issues.
5%
 5%  [ 1 ]
I was only here for Bendis and/or Maleev. I'm dropping the book after this issue.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 19

DDmikeMN
Ninja

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 5:02 pm    Post subject: Does the creative team change your interest in DareDevil? Reply with quote

Now that issue #81 is here, what are your plans?
rgj
Hardcore

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's all about Daredevil for me. All you can do is hope that the creative team does something good with the character. My only hope is that Daredevil hasn't been destroyed by the permanent outing situation. I don't think I'd ever leave this book becasue of a creative team. But, if Daredevil ceases in being "Daredevil" (whatever that means--although, being a lawyer is part of it) then I just might drop the book if I don't like the direction the powers that be have chosen.

rgj
Solid Snake PAC
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I love Bendis' run on DD. I'm here to stay. As long as it's good, i'm with Matt all the way. I'm really curious as to what Brubaker is going to do with DD, considering it's kinda like picking up the pieces...Great undertaking if you ask me.
Darediva
Wake Up

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's all about the character for me. I stuck through him going through that Nameless One nonsense and the Tree of Knowledge junk that I just hated, so I'll hang around 'til death do us part. I have a feeling that I will probably go first. Very Happy

Those who throw dirt merely lose ground.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
The Privateer
Redemption

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first issue was V2#41, so I have sort of grown with Bendis!, so I am prime candidate to go I suppose. I am incredibly loyal by nature, just ask my third wife! No really, I don't drop titles that often, so being really pessimistic, even when the going gets tough, if it ever does I would be surprised if I'd ever drop the title. I have fell for the character and would miss they bevvy of beauties that make up the second string characters.
james castle
Devil in Cell-Block D

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't vote because you seem to be missing an option. That is although I'm here for the character, I'm also super looking forward to Bru and Lark kicking all kind of ass. On top of that I'm really sad to see Bendis go. So my vote is:

It sucks that Bendis is leaving but on the other hand I'm kinda excited to see what Bru does and, you know, I'd read DD no matter who was writting anyway.

So why can't you see the funny side?
Why aren't you laughing?
The Overlord
Paradiso

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

james castle wrote:
I didn't vote because you seem to be missing an option. That is although I'm here for the character, I'm also super looking forward to Bru and Lark kicking all kind of ass. On top of that I'm really sad to see Bendis go. So my vote is:

It sucks that Bendis is leaving but on the other hand I'm kinda excited to see what Bru does and, you know, I'd read DD no matter who was writting anyway.

So you would contiue to read DD even if Chuck Austen was writing it?
JR
Humanity's Fathom

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firstly, step off Chuck Austen. The guy isn't all that bad. It's not his fault that people ten years his senior ruined uncanny.

I must say, I am also split between some options. I am happy to see Bendis go, but not Maleev. I will read the book no matter what, so it doesn't matter who is writing it. I have tattoos, for Pete's sake. If I stop now, it'll be like having some random girls name on me.

Lastly, I am very excited about Brubaker. I first met him when he had just put out "The Complete Lowlife", and gushed like a total fan boy to him about it (I had some drug problems when younger, you see). I was thrilled to see him start working in mainstream comics, and I am now even more thrilled that he is working on my favorite monthly book.

So there.

JR.
Forrest
Lowlife

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If anyone drops this title, I'm not too worried because they'll pick it up again within 6 months and go buy all the back issues on the internet. Razz
Forrest
Lowlife

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Master Meglomaniac wrote:

So you would contiue to read DD even if Chuck Austen was writing it?

That's a tough one. Very Happy

Honestly, if DeMatteis jumped on the book, I'd consider dropping it. Then, I'd sign up again when the next writer starts. Of course, I'd pick up the issues I didn't get on EBay for ~$0.50 per issue. Now, if I'd actually read the DeMatteis issues, that's another question. Razz
DDmikeMN
Ninja

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm asking (and I seem to be in the minority here) because I'm wary of whether this "Matt in jail" stuff will come off.

For example if I told you the next arc in Spider-man was going to involve Peter dying, shedding his skin and evolving new skills / realizing he'd overlooked some, you'd probably think, "That sounds like something." Then you'd read The Other and the potential didn't end up on the page.

I worry DD has become a theme book and it's "the one where the superhero lost his secret identity and is now in jail" in the same way there are books where "the mayor of New York can talk to machines" or "there's one man left on the planet."

I've read some Bru and I know a lot of people really like him. I'm just worried there isn't enough space in the corner Matt Murdock is backed into to be continiously interesting. I hope I'm wrong but I'm approaching DD like I would a new book.

Yeah, I might drop this book. But it will be because the concept has eclipsed the character.
Forrest
Lowlife

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DDmikeMN wrote:
I'm asking (and I seem to be in the minority here) because I'm wary of whether this "Matt in jail" stuff will come off.

For example if I told you the next arc in Spider-man was going to involve Peter dying, shedding his skin and evolving new skills / realizing he'd overlooked some, you'd probably think, "That sounds like something." Then you'd read The Other and the potential didn't end up on the page.

I worry DD has become a theme book and it's "the one where the superhero lost his secret identity and is now in jail" in the same way there are books where "the mayor of New York can talk to machines" or "there's one man left on the planet."

I've read some Bru and I know a lot of people really like him. I'm just worried there isn't enough space in the corner Matt Murdock is backed into to be continiously interesting. I hope I'm wrong but I'm approaching DD like I would a new book.

Yeah, I might drop this book. But it will be because the concept has eclipsed the character.

Well said! I've been worried about this too, within Bendis's run.

Esepcially towards the end, I think Bendis was so much more focused on writing this concept, that he forgot he was writing DD. I felt that the characters of Matt, Urich, DD, Foggy, etc. were often betrayed and ignored in favor of molding them to fit the shtick.

As much faith as I have in Brubaker's writing, I accept that this is a valid concern, especially after reading Brubaker's recent interview. Still, I'm 90% sure that Brubaker is not going to fall into this trap, but I wouldn't be surprised if he plays into this shtick for a good year or more. After all, it's a great shtick!
battlin'J
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am thrilled. Bendis and Maleev told a great story these past few years (with some low points, but who doesn't have them) and brought it all together nicely. I know, based on past work, that Brubaker and Lark will do good things with Daredevil.
I wasn't sure about Brubaker taking over Capt. America, but it's the best it's been in many years.
But I am also sticking around because I am a fan of Daredevil. The book would have to get really, really bad for me to drop it. I am talking worse than DD with armor.
battlin'J
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am thrilled. Bendis and Maleev told a great story these past few years (with some low points, but who doesn't have them) and brought it all together nicely. I know, based on past work, that Brubaker and Lark will do good things with Daredevil.
I wasn't sure about Brubaker taking over Capt. America, but it's the best it's been in many years.
But I am also sticking around because I am a fan of Daredevil. The book would have to get really, really bad for me to drop it. I am talking worse than DD with armor. So I am sticking with DD for a long time.
Pete
Fall From Grace

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm here for a character who is, by a clear clear mile, the most interesting, mature, thought-provoking and moral character in mainstream superhero comic books. By and large, he's been this way since the very first issue.

The fact that he holds this lofty position in my eyes is mainly due to the great writing talents that have been on the book. They have taken Matt Murdock on an amazing journey throughout the years, and Bendis/Maleev are right up there with the very best. I'll miss 'em, but I've always got the back issues! A run of issues that won't be fully appreciated for many a year. In some ways they remind me of Nocenti. Not in a story/style/technique way, but just a great long run of issues that I enjoyed a lot at the time but just gets better and better as the years go by. Great writing. Stellar art. Believe me, in ten years time the MWOF message board will be praising to the heavens the amazing run that was Bendis/Maleev. You'll have to look hard to find anyone that has a bad word to say about it.

I'm looking forward to Bru. It would have to stink to high heaven to make me stop reading about this guy. I sat through all the crap early 300's (Fall From Grace, Tree Of Knowledge, Humanity's Fathom, crap writing, crap art) and still bought the book, but blame no one if they stopped. Whatever Bru's run ends up as, it won't be as bad as that, the worst run of DD issues ever. I'm here for the character.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: