Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

DD Marvel Knights Era (1999-2005)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fubarthepanda
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 4:46 pm    Post subject: DD Marvel Knights Era (1999-2005) Reply with quote

EDIT: My final core DD map for the Marvel Knights era (i.e. DD vol #1-81 from 1999-2005):

Daredevil #1-8 ("Guardian Devil")
Daredevil #1/2 (flashback)
Black Widow #1-3 ("Itsy-Bitsy Spider")*
Spider-Man: Chapter One #9 (flashback)
Contest of Champions II #4 ("Daredevil vs. Deadpool")*
Gambit #11 ("The Hamster Run")

Daredevil #9-15 ("Parts of a Hole")
Punisher #3 ("The Devil by the Horns")
Marvel Knights #1-6
Spider-Man: The Mysterio Manifesto #1-3
Marvel Knights #7-9

Daredevil: Ninja #1-3
Daredevil/Spider-Man #1-4 ("Unusual Suspects")
Black Widow II #1-3 ("Breakdown")
Daredevil #16-19 ("Wake Up")
Marvel Knights #10-15*
Daredevil #20-25 ("Playing to the Camera")
Daredevil: Yellow #1-6 (flashback)
Marvel Knights Double Shot #1 ("Daredevil: Dirty Job")
Marvel Knights Double Shot #4 ("Marvel Knights: Serious People")
Marvel Knights II #1-6

Daredevil #26-31 ("Underboss")
Daredevil #32-37 ("Out")
Daredevil #38-40 ("Trial of the Century")
Daredevil #41-45 ("Lowlife")
Spider-Man/Black Cat #1-6 ("The Evil That Men Do")*
Spider-Man/Daredevil #1 ("Neighbors")
Daredevil: The Target #1 ("The Target")
Daredevil #46-50 ("Hardcore")
Punisher #33-37 ("Confederacy of Dunces")
Daredevil #51-55 ("Echo")
Elektra #35 ("Dead Reckoning")
Daredevil #56-60 ("The King of Hell's Kitchen")
Daredevil #61-64 ("The Widow")

Avengers #500-503 ("Disassembled")
Daredevil #65 ("The Universe")
Daredevil #66-70 ("Golden Age")
Black Widow: The Things They Say About Her #1-6
Daredevil: Redemption #1-6
Daredevil #71-75 ("Decalogue")
Wolverine #20-25 ("Enemy of the State")*
Secret War #1-5*
New Avengers #1-3 ("Breakout")*
Marvel Team-Up #9-10 ("Master of the Ring")*
New Avengers #11 ("Ronin")*

Captain Universe/Daredevil #1 ("Sensory Overload")
Daredevil vs. Punisher #1-6 ("Means and Ends")
Daredevil: Father #1-6
I Heart Marvel: Marvel Ai #1 ("Daredevil: Love is Blindness")
Daredevil #76-81 ("The Murdock Papers")

Ultimate Daredevil:
Ultimate Marvel Team-Up #6-8 (2001)
Ultimate Spider-Man Super Special #1 (2002)
Ultimate Daredevil/Elektra #1-4 (2003)
Ultimate X-Men #36-37 (2003)*
Ultimate Elektra #1-5 (2004)
Ultimates 2 #3 (2005)

Alt-Universe:
Batman/Daredevil #1 (2000)
Marvels Comics: Daredevil #1 (2000)
Darkdevil #1-3 (2000)*
Marvels Adventures #1 (2001) promo*
Daredevil: The Movie #1 (2003)
Marvel 1602 #1-8 (2003)*
Daredevil 2099 #1 (2004)
Powerless #1-6 (2004)*
What If? Karen Page #1 (2005)
Spider-Girl #84 (2005)*

Other:
Punisher vs. Daredevil #1 (2000) REP w/ new cover*
Daredevil: Ace Edition #1 (2003) REP w/ 2pp gag strip*
Official Handbook: Daredevil #1 (2004)

Indexing notes:
* Black Widow #1-3 (1999) only features cameos from DD in each issue (mostly as Matt Murdock), but it's the first half of the story that concludes in Black Widow #1-3 (2001) that properly guest stars DD.
* Contest of Champtions II #4 (1999) features the "Daredevil vs. Deadpool" short (4pp) that was voted upon by fans at Marvel.com. DD also appears in two pages of the main story.
* DD appears in all of the issues of Marvel Knights #1-15 expect for #10, which features Black Widow, Dagger and Punisher. It's included here for plot continuity between #9 and #11.
* Spider-Man/Black Cat was published in two halfs, the first half in 2002 and the second half in 2006. DD only appears in the second half (#4-6), but the first half is included here for continuity.
* Avengers #500-503 contains the "Disassembled" arc featuring the start of the Bendis Avengers run. DD appears in #501-503, mostly in the background as he helps defend NYC from an onslaught of Avengers enemies.
* Wolverine #20-25 is the "Enemy of the State" storyline in which Logan is brainwashed by The Hand. DD only appears in #23-24, but Elektra and The Hand are featured in nearly every issue.
* Secret War #1-5 features DD joining a rogue team of heroes led by Nick Fury. He's heavily featured in #2-5, but is only included in a background panel of the indicia page for #1.
* New Avengers #1-3 are the opening issues of the extended "Breakout" storyline. DD only appears in the first three issues, which form a self-contained opening chapter in this story arc.
* Marvel Team-Up #9-10 are the concluding parts of "Master of the Ring" that began in #7. Recap of previous issues is provided as DD teams up with Luke Cage (#9) and Spider-Man/Moon Knight (#10).
* New Avengers #11 is the first part of the "Ronin" storyline. DD only appears in the first chapter, in which he introduces Echo to Captain America and the Avengers in an extended framing device.
* Ultimate X-Men #36-37 are the middle chapters of the "Blockbuster" storyline featuring a team-up of Spider-Man and Wolverine. Recap pages are provided and DD's appearance is self-contained.
* Darkdevil #1-3 is a mini-series featuring an MC2 alternate future hero that was inspired by DD. Our DD shows up in issue #2 during the origin reveal and the other two issues are included here for continuity.
* Marvels Adventures #1 is a promo comic that was included in a Jack-In-the-Box sales campaign. DD is heavily featured as he teams-up with four other heroes to stop a robot rampage in NYC.
* Marvel 1602 #1-8 features Neil Gaiman's Elizabethan re-imagination of the Marvel universe. DD (as Matthew Murdoch) is one of the main cast members and is given a solo cover appearance on issue #4.
* Powerless #1-6 features a Marvel universe without any powers and focuses on the struggles of three characters including Matt Murdock, Peter Parker and the man known as Logan.
* Spider-Girl #84 is the final part of a Venom storyline in the MC2 alternate future, but features the brief return of the original Daredevil in a sub-plot involving Darkdevil and Doctor Strange.
* Punisher vs. Daredevil #1 is a reprint of early battles during the Frank Miller (#183-184) and Ann Nocenti (#257) runs. It sports a new Jae Lee cover and is only included here out of completeness.
* Daredevil: Ace Edition #1 is a reprint of the original DD #1 produced by Wizard Magazine and features a new wrap around cover by J. Scott Campbell as well as a new 2 page "Twisted Toyfare" gag strip.

Cameos listed down thread.

Thoughts and spare change welcome!

Last edited by fubarthepanda on Mon Nov 02, 2020 7:14 pm; edited 15 times in total
fubarthepanda
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking over my notes, the only significant 616 stories that I've excluded are Black Widow vol 1 (in which DD only appears in a handful of pages across the three issues), and Avengers Disassembled, in which DD only has 1 line of dialogue as he appears in group/background shots across Avengers #501-503. Having difficulty justifying these, but am curious what other DD aficionadas think.

I am leaning, however, to including Marvel 1602. He appears in about 30 pages across the 8 issues and has a solo feature cover on issue #4. However, he never appears in more than 7 pages per issue, and only appears in 1 page across the final 2 issues, so it's definitely still a fence sitter for me.

I also can't seem to shake Darkdevil. I went ahead and ordered issue #2 for the DD appearance and am thinking of picking up the Spider-Girl #84 that David Hall mentioned. My fear is that this'll push me to pickup up his first appearances in Spider-Girl and the rest of the Darkdevil mini... (it's a sickness!).

Still planning to skip Earth X, but that Paradise X: Devils one-shot is tempting me. Gave up on Earth X during Universe X, so never made it to Paradise X, but am kind of curious... I know that Matt Murdock is killed off and replaced with a more Deadpool-like character (which probably makes this completely skippable!).

The joy!

EDIT: I went ahead and included Black Widow vol 1, Marvel 1602 and Darkdevil.

Last edited by fubarthepanda on Tue Jul 21, 2020 9:48 am; edited 1 time in total
Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I appreciate your effort. I've been making a Daredevil spinoffs list and needed to get to this era. I formatted the way I did it differently, which makes it hard to contribute. For example, if a single issue in a story arc featured Daredevil, I added it. I had Alias as an example there.

Not sure what to read next? Check out the Book Club for some ideas!

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons
fubarthepanda
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gotcha! Makes sense. I'm personally not including Alias, but here's my DD appearance notes for the series if they're helpful:

Alias #3 -- cameo (3pp as Matt Murdock)
Alias #4 -- non-app (2pp voice over telephone)
Alias #10 -- non-app (1 panel photo)
Alias #11 -- non-app (1 panel poster)
Alias #14 -- non-app (1pp voice over telephone)
Alias #15 -- cameo (2pp as Matt Murdock)
Alias #18 -- cameo (2pp as Matt Murdock)
Alias #24 -- cameo (3pp as Matt Murdock)
fubarthepanda
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EDIT: Chronology map merged into Post #1 above.
fubarthepanda
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For posterity, in the event someone comes across this thread in the future, here's the 2-3 page cameos that I intentionally excluded:

Thor Annual 2000 #1 (2000) 3pp as Matt Murdock only
Fantastic Four #36 (2000) 2pp
Fantastic Four: World's Greatest Comic Magazine #3 (2001) 3pp
Amazing Spider-Man #36 (2001) 2pp
Alias #3 (2002) 3pp as Matt Murdock only
Peter Parker: Spider-Man #41 (2002) 2pp as Matt Murdock only
Alias #15 (2003) 2pp as Matt Murdock only
Alias #18 (2003) 2pp as Matt Murdock only
Alias #24 (2003) 3pp as Matt Murdock only
Spider-Man Unlimited #1 (2004) 2pp
Bullseye: Greatest Hits #4 (2005) 1pp flashback, 2pp dream sequence
Marvel Knights Spider-Man #11 (2005) 2pp
Spider-Man Unlimited #11 (2006) 2pp
The Pulse #13 (2006) 2pp
The Thing #3 (2006) 3pp

And here's DD's cameos in the major events from this period:

Avengers #501 Disassembled part 2 (2004) 1pp group shot
Avengers #502 Disassembled part 3 (2004) 8pp group shots
Avengers #503 Disassembled part 4 (2004) 6pp group shots
House of M #5 (2005) 5pp as Matt Murdock only
House of M #6 (2005) 3pp as Matt Murdock only
House of M #7 (2005) 1pp as Matt Murdock only

And more alt-universe cameos and minor appearances:

Earth X / Universe X / Paradise X (1999-2003)
Mutant X #6 (1999)
Marvel: The End #1-6 (2003)
Marvel Nemesis: The Imperfects #1-6 (2005)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: