Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

Civil War #1 Director's Cut-- POSSIBLE SPOILERS

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darediva
Wake Up

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 3:32 am    Post subject: Civil War #1 Director's Cut-- POSSIBLE SPOILERS Reply with quote

There has been a thread going this evening about the blacked out passage in the script. Reports there say it says different things, depending on the copy you get.

http://www.606studios.com/bendisboard/showthread.php?t=76600&page=6

There is also a scan on Joe Quesada's website of one of them. Ah, great mysteries of Marvel misdirection!

Those who throw dirt merely lose ground.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
james castle
Devil in Cell-Block D

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha, that's hilarious. Good work Marvel.

At the same time I still feel like there isn't a single person the secret DD could be that would make me happy.

Still Marvel just pulled off a wicked stunt.

So why can't you see the funny side?
Why aren't you laughing?
train
Guardian Devil

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

james castle wrote:

agreed. for all his faults, Q is the master of the web. classic stuff.
MercifulAvatar
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

train wrote:
james castle wrote:

agreed. for all his faults, Q is the master of the web. classic stuff.

Since Marvel can't pull off compelling and intelligent stories (exclusive of Daredevil) they have to resort to marketing. Marketing is always the last resort of the decrepit and banal.

"We're #1! We, er, market harder!"
Dave Wallace
Paradiso

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is great marketing though. They've been burned by this stuff a couple of times in the past (the whole Ronin thing, the recent Spidey reveal), and now they're playing it to their advantage. Nice work.
hylozoii
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoa, I never even thought about Fury being DD, but I know someone here would go ape-**** because Fury probably doesn't have DD's acrobatics. Still, I wouldn't have a problem with him being DD.
Darediva
Wake Up

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's one of the scans:

http://popcultureshock.com/viewbox.php?id=1&p=civil-war-daredevil.jpg

Those who throw dirt merely lose ground.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Kuljit Mithra
Hardcore

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From this week's Lying in the Gutters by Rich Johnston (at the CBR site)

CIVIL WAR PROPAGANDA

[Yellow Light]

So. Civil War Spoilers.

Marvel inadvertently spoiled the big "Civil War" #2 reveal in a "First Look" advance copy of "Thunderbolts," then threatened any website with lack of future co-operation if they reported this - before advertently spoiling the reveal themselves in the "New York Times." All a little clumsy, hard handed and left a few people put out.

Last week, "Civil War: Directors Cut" #1 shipped, reprinting the original issue along with Mark Millar's script - albeit it with a few spoilery sections blanked out. Except one section was not blanked out very well, and it seemed to reveal the identity of the new Daredevil.

Or did it?

Within hours of people posting the spoiler on boards, it seemed apparent that there were more than one version of this spoiler, of this comic even, with different scans showing different possible identities for Daredevil.

Had Marvel really printed five or so variations of "Civil War Director's Cut," each deliberately revealing a fake spoiler, different in every edition? A very clever, very funny way of playing with the internet crowd?

Or was this even cleverer - damage control when the original spoiler was spotted after printing, with additional versions of the scan created by Marvel and then distributed to people willing to engage in disinformation on Marvel's part?

Put it this way. Every copy I have seen myself in three shops, has Iron Fist as the spoiled identity, and that was the first name to be reported online, at the Bendis board. And every copy I've been able to get checked by people I trust (without any ties to Marvel) has had the same name.

The people who posted alternate versions online are:

John R Thomas who writes for Marvel Spotlight and runs the Marvel Masterworks site.

Superbadkarma a producer on the Marvel-cooperating Buzzscope/PopcultureShock site. His post was linked to on the Bendis board by Marvel's Jen Grunwald.

Matt Adler who gets advance Marvel comics to review and gets exclusive Marvel interviews. His post was linked to on the Bendis board by Daredevil writer, Ed Brubaker.

Mike Short says there are five editions out there - Hawkeye, Iron Fist, Ben Reilly, Shang Chi and Nick Fury. And he's a Marvel editor.

Of course this could all be further planned disinformation, and it's actually Bullseye. But I don't think so.

We'll all know for sure just how much we've been played when "Daredevil" #87 comes out on the 26th/27th July. I'm told by a Marvel source that this will be the issue in which the current Daredevil's identity will be "officially" officially revealed.
hylozoii
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What have I been screaming all this time?...PLEASE LET IT BE IRON FIST! Oh please please please let Brubaker write Iron Fist. Though I see that he will be in the Dr. Strange series. Brings me back to one of the first Iron Fist stories I read about 10 years ago when he used his Chi to save some kids and an entire building crumbled. *Sigh* my poor memory.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: