Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

DareDevil #87 SPOILERS
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DDmikeMN
Ninja

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 1:35 am    Post subject: DareDevil #87 SPOILERS Reply with quote

What did you think of the newest issue?
Dave Wallace
Paradiso

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I haven't read it yet (the UK yet again has to suffer that one-day wait), but I understand that the Iron Fist rumours are true, and that - even better than that - Foggy is still alive and in the witness protection program? I know a lot of people expected it, but I'm still pleased that it's come out this early.
Silent Bob
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes! Foggy! Ah, thank god.
Dimetre
Underboss

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 6:32 pm    Post subject: ***SPOILER*** Reply with quote

So much happened this issue! That's what I love about Brubaker. Even though he thinks Bendis' run was great (I beg to differ) he is doing ten times a better job, simply because he packs so much into every issue. I was so pleased to see Foggy at the end of the issue. I really thought he was dead! I thought the cover to the next issue was about some secret life Foggy was living out while he was alive. My only concern about him being alive is how was the funeral carried out without anyone seeing that he wasn't in the coffin?

As for the Iron Fist reveal, it makes sense, but it seems somewhat anti-climactic. After Danny Rand is unmasked, he changes into his Iron Fist togs pretty quickly and both him and Daredevil move onto the next item of business without much difficulty. My only question: Would Danny Rand take a job from Alton Lennox without running much of a background check on him?

What makes me uneasy about this issue is that Daredevil helps the Punisher escape. That's a little bit too "the ends justifies the means" for me. I appreciate that Matt is now out of prison, and that he seems to be causing people to have second thoughts about whether he's Daredevil or not. But the Punisher is a killer. A different killer than Bullseye for sure, but a killer nonetheless. (albeit one with his own ongoing series.) Perhaps Daredevil can keep extra close watch of him and return him to jail the next time he slips up?

Despite my concerns, I think this was an exceptional issue from Brubaker and Lark, and an awesome end to their first arc. (I think "The Devil in Cell Block D" is the best arc Daredevil's had since "Parts of a Hole")
daredevil99x
Fall From Grace

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looked at it in the store but didn't buy it since I'm a "wait for the trade type," but I wanted to know the identity of the second Daredevil (not a big surprise, but a good choice) and it was nice to see that Foggy's still alive.
pbblair
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Foggy's moustache is back, hooray! And Mike Murdock, sweet. I wonder if Matt is going to adopt the old cocky swagger and loud clothes.

I thought that the Iron Fist reveal was oddly paced. The characters had very little to say considering how it had been built up in the arc. I hope the intentions of Lennox end up making sense. It'll be disappointing if it doesn't come together as a coherent plan.

All in all, not the best issue in the arc, but I have to give it to Bru for making so many nods to old continuity without having to rehash old stories.
Lundonj
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I loved the issue and thought it was a nice fun finale, contrasted with the darker moments of the meltdown and the prison time.

Iron Fist makes a lot of sense to me, because not many people...like Hawkeye, could have pulled off what Danny was doing in DD-like fashion.

Great reveal on Foggy.

As for Punisher, well, Frank did go in there to save Matt in more ways than one, primarilly to save Matt from himself. If Frank hadn't called him on it, Matt would still be there. He needed that set-up to muddle the identity stuff as much as possible. Yes, he let Frank go, but the price of getting some perspective (i.e., Matt becoming Frank-like in his wrath to avenge Foggy), may be a life saver.

I really like Lark's art.

Nice to see the real DD suit up again too.

-Don
Darediva
Wake Up

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pbblair wrote:
Foggy's moustache is back, hooray! And Mike Murdock, sweet. I wonder if Matt is going to adopt the old cocky swagger and loud clothes.

Goodness, I hope not! That wouldn't do much for a guy who's trying to hide out, now would it?

Didn't know you could buy over-the-counter contacts at the drugstore, but I liked the shot of Matt reading the hair dye box. Wonder if Ben stuck around to give him a hand with that?

Absolutely loved the comeuppance of the FBI Director, and the way the warden got back at him.

Wooohoooo! The Fogster is alive even if he's not high-kicking at the moment! What a great reveal right at the end.

This was one time that the ads seemed to be in the right places. I kept thinking for just a moment that I was at the end, then I'd turn the page and there'd be more. A whole lot packed into this one. I really did enjoy Brubaker and Lark on their first arc.

Those who throw dirt merely lose ground.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Forrest
Lowlife

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never read a DD issue that made me want to jump up and cheer as much as #87 did! Among my favorite DD issues EVER!

Burbaker has captured the Man Without Fear better than any writer in the past decade!
DDmikeMN
Ninja

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First, congrats to Bru/Lark for a superb first arc. I was a doubter coming in and they performed spectacularly. Like Bru said, it's hard to follow a great arc and they did well for the title.

Second, the Iron Fist reveal was good. It was logical and just as forgettable as it was supposed to be. The second DD was a boondoggle to begin with and this was a nice out for everyone concerned.

Third, glad to see Foggy back also in a logical manner. I think we all know the only people who stay dead in comics are Peter Parker's Uncle Ben and Bruce Wayne's parents. While we all knew in our heart-of-hearts he was coming back, the "death" has repurcussions which fit. Hopefully so will his return.

Fourth and finally, is it possible to be more pumped about this book going forward. Though I'm a devotee of Bendis, his run was inside a progressively smaller and smaller box until it was clausterphobic (and to great dramatic results). Bru has punched out of that box to see if we can go find some adventure. Well done, sir. Well done.
Dave Wallace
Paradiso

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DDmikeMN wrote:
I think we all know the only people who stay dead in comics are Peter Parker's Uncle Ben and Bruce Wayne's parents.

And Bucky, of course.

Heeeeeyyyy, wait a minute...
The Privateer
Redemption

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave Wallace wrote:
DDmikeMN wrote:
I think we all know the only people who stay dead in comics are Peter Parker's Uncle Ben and Bruce Wayne's parents.

And Bucky, of course.

Heeeeeyyyy, wait a minute...
Does Caspar the Friendly Ghost count? Confused
MercifulAvatar
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, OK... I guess I'm in for 88. Wink
noypi-me
Tree of Knowledge

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have a question.

why would iron fist still think that he was working for foggy when foggy clearly stated that he was against what iron fist was doing from the start as seen in issue 82?

i'm sorry if i'm not making any sense.

...are you talking to me..."
Clayton Blind Love
Redemption

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loved it!

I needed some time to read this issue several times over. This is not as good as last issue, but then again I did say that that issue was the darling of the entire vol.2 run. A statement I still stand by.

I loved the prison setting very much and I was a little disappointed that the breakout sequence in this new issue was nothing more than a flashback. I didn't expect the Punisher to kill anyone on the way out, but I was hoping that there would be some more of that chaos from the last issue. That said, this issue still packed a great story.

More important than the "who is DD2?" , I was glad to see the reveal of Foggy being alive at the end of this arc. I always knew it, but each passing month was slowing eating away at my confidence of this.

Mike Murdock is back!!! Yes!!! Bru continues to give us longtime fans the treats.

DD in Europe! Really, how cool is that? Cool

I will say this now, even this early:

"The Devil in Cell Block D" WILL get an Eisner nod for Best Serialized Story and it may even lead to it getting Daredevil the nod for Best Continuing Series.

I have a secret power for picking these kind of award-winning stories. I was in the zone for the 2006 Eisners having read and owning 75% or more of the winners list.

C.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: