Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

DareDevil #87 SPOILERS
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
train
Guardian Devil

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

noypi-me wrote:
i have a question.

why would iron fist still think that he was working for foggy when foggy clearly stated that he was against what iron fist was doing from the start as seen in issue 82?

i'm sorry if i'm not making any sense.

you are making sense. what i understood from the issue is that danny assumed that foggy was using him through a third party. if that was the case, foggy would have to have no knowledge of how they (danny and the third party) were trying to influence a jury pool....this way, foggy could claim under oath to have no knowledge of who was attempting to taint the public opinion. therefore, foggy really would not know who was in the DD costume. hopefully this makes some sense.
vtsoxfan7
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really enjoyed this arc. For me it not only lived up to the hype of being the first post Bendis/Maleev story, but it surpassed my expectations and then some. I had read very little of Brubaker's work previous to this arc but had always heard good things. Got a kick out of all of the nods to previous continuity throughout the arc. VERY glad to see that the rumors of Foggy's demise were greatly exagerated.

Train beat me to it, but that's the way I interpreted Foggy's reaction to the 2nd DD as well.

http://tburnham7.blogspot.com/

'So I've got THAT going for me...which is nice' - Bill Murray, Caddyshack
hylozoii
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brubaker is now my favorite writer. Did you guys read the letter at the end? He's going to write the Iron Fist miniseries! I don't know if you remember my previous posts, but I alluded to that happening! I also guessed that it was Iron Fist who was the DD imposter way before all the names were thrown out! Also the latest Captain America was amazing! It was almost like a movie. Did anyone else get that sense? The 3rd issue of the arc brought Bucky, Cap & Co., and Lukin/Red Skull all together in an awesome cliffhanger! I admire the guys ability to write 3 different stories in the same issue and bring them together in the end.

Lark really drew Iron Fist well. Bru said Iron Fist was one of his favorite characters, so I know that's going to be a good story. And I bet for those DD readers that don't go onto websites and read the spoilers, when the DD imposter's fist lighted up, they were like "OH MY GOD IT'S IRON FIST!" The suspense kind of gets ruined if you read the spoilers and all the guessing we do. Oh well. Great issue. And I felt the Iron Fist revelation wasn't that quick to end like some said. DD thought the other was part of Foggy's killer group, and Fist probably thought DD was a 3rd imposter thus the "Matt? I thought you were in Rykers."

I'm a Bru fan for life.
Darediva
Wake Up

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was half right about my Foggiest notions: that he would be in a witness protection program somewhere sitting on a beach with a babe on either arm sipping pina coladas.

Instead he's with some hairy-legged Fed in the 'burbs of Philadelphia. Oh well.

Those who throw dirt merely lose ground.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
The Privateer
Redemption

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

King Bendis is dead, long live the King Bru! Wow, I really want to say I am impressed, but I knew that Ed Bru would pull off an amazing story like this, i hope that he can maintain this level, DD really is one of the must read books at the moment. Well done Ed and Michael, it was a big thing following on from Bendis! and Maleev after they had made the title their own, you've just laid one hell of a foundation on which to claim it as yours. After issue 82, I was alittle concerned over the art, I love ML's work on other books, but it wasn't what I'd thought, now I love it, it is different to Maleev's and I was very impressed at the setting, lighting, and feel that Lark gave to the prison, it was great, amazing colouring to get the grim, dull feel of the prison, great art. I just hope that ultimately Lark can get the grim, gritty, pulp crime noir and feel that Maleev absolutely nailed in Hell's kitchen, after this arc, I have high hopes.

On to the story, I don't want to parrot fashion repeat the comments said earlier, great story etc etc etc. I liked EB's little column at the back, it was like a personal chat, enjoyed that, it was good to get in his head on his thoughts etc. From what he commented on, he said that there had been clues along the way about Foggy and Iron Fist etc, that I never picked up on. So baring this in mind, did anyone see when the two "agents" in the car were firing on Dakota North, and DD (Iron Fist) jumped on one of them, the other turned and fired at him saying something like "You stupid xxxxxx, we are on the same side"? It seemed to me that the two agents outside, who tried to kill Dakota, are working for Alton Lennox like Iron Fist is? The guy was knocked unconscious before anything else could be said. Have I misunderstood this context? If I have feel free to insult at will, Will has broad shoulders!
Dave Wallace
Paradiso

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Completely agree, this has been an unbelievably strong first arc. I still rate last issue above this one, but this capped things off nicely without tying up too many loose ends, and led nicely into the next arc.

The Privateer wrote:
I liked EB's little column at the back, it was like a personal chat, enjoyed that, it was good to get in his head on his thoughts etc.

Definitely. This is one of the things that really makes me warm to a comic (whether it's Charlie Huston in Moon Knight, Warren Ellis' "Back Matter" on Fell - for which I must again thank you for the recommendation! - or Drew Melbourne's stuff in Archenemies), and it's nice to see Brubaker do it here. I hope it becomes a regular thing.

The Privateer wrote:
From what he commented on, he said that there had been clues along the way about Foggy and Iron Fist etc, that I never picked up on. So baring this in mind, did anyone see when the two "agents" in the car were firing on Dakota North, and DD (Iron Fist) jumped on one of them, the other turned and fired at him saying something like "You stupid xxxxxx, we are on the same side"? It seemed to me that the two agents outside, who tried to kill Dakota, are working for Alton Lennox like Iron Fist is? The guy was knocked unconscious before anything else could be said. Have I misunderstood this context? If I have feel free to insult at will, Will has broad shoulders!

I think Will is safe for now - I think you've picked up on quite an important clue. I always thought that Foggy was going to turn out to be alive based on the hints that Brubaker dropped, but as to where the rest of the story is going, I'm not so sure. Nothing happens in these books by accident, that's for sure, and something that seems like a bit of a non-sequitur now is bound to turn out to be important later.

And as a bit of a PS. to this issue, I'd be interested to see exactly how Foggy's entry into the witness protection programme was staged, because I still have lots of questions about it. Does Matt know? Presumably not, but if not then how did they fool his senses at the funeral? How did Foggy get away from the ambulance and everyone who was around him directly after he was stabbed? Hopefully this is what next issue will be all about...
WillDO
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome issue! I always thought Iron Fist had better combat skills than Matt tho Sad.
Dave Wallace
Paradiso

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WillDO wrote:
Awesome issue! I always thought Iron Fist had better combat skills than Matt tho Sad.

Just different, I think. Personally, I would bet on Matt over Iron Fist...

I still enjoy their fight in #178 - is that the first time that the Heroes for Hire meet Dardevil?
DDmikeMN
Ninja

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WillDO wrote:
Awesome issue! I always thought Iron Fist had better combat skills than Matt tho :-(.

Matt's interior monologue gives two reasons.

1.) Imposter ignores billy club.

2.) Matt's rage fuels him.

Add on that he's choosing the time and place of their combat and you have to think the advantage is Matt's. Then again they didn't fight until the end.
Murdock Bell
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WillDO wrote:

Nah--remember that Frank Miller issue guest starring Danny, where Matt and him were about as evenly matched as two characters can get?

The advantages Matt himself listed in Bru's issue were just enough to give him an edge.
noypi-me
Tree of Knowledge

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

you are making sense. what i understood from the issue is that danny assumed that foggy was using him through a third party. if that was the case, foggy would have to have no knowledge of how they (danny and the third party) were trying to influence a jury pool....this way, foggy could claim under oath to have no knowledge of who was attempting to taint the public opinion. therefore, foggy really would not know who was in the DD costume. hopefully this makes some sense.

thanks train for clearing that up. Wink

...are you talking to me..."
BlindRogue
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, my very first issue of Daredevil! How exciting! I decided to pick it up on Wednesday, because I figured "Why the hell not." So I did, and I know that it's a really bad "jump on issue" but I couldn't help myself.

I have to agree with everyone here that, although I only read one issue, Ed Brubaker is an exceptional writer. Not my favorite of course, Gail Simone is my top dog, but definitely up there. I have no previous knowledge of the arc or whats going on in the Marvel Universe (sorry DC guy here), but Brubaker's style made me feel right at home.. if that makes any sense.

And I have to love the art, very Daredevil. I'm going to pick up some earlier issues to figure out what the hell is exactly going on but as of right now: I'm already hooked!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Dave Wallace
Paradiso

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure it won't be long before the first TPB of Brubaker's run is out, which will collect his first arc if you want to catch up without having to track down backissues...
Clayton Blind Love
Redemption

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BlindRogue wrote:
Ah, my very first issue of Daredevil! How exciting! I decided to pick it up on Wednesday, because I figured "Why the hell not." So I did, and I know that it's a really bad "jump on issue" but I couldn't help myself.

I have to agree with everyone here that, although I only read one issue, Ed Brubaker is an exceptional writer. Not my favorite of course, Gail Simone is my top dog, but definitely up there. I have no previous knowledge of the arc or whats going on in the Marvel Universe (sorry DC guy here), but Brubaker's style made me feel right at home.. if that makes any sense.

And I have to love the art, very Daredevil. I'm going to pick up some earlier issues to figure out what the hell is exactly going on but as of right now: I'm already hooked!

Welcome to the show!

As a DC guy, you have probably heard of Gotham Central. This was a Rucka/Brubaker/Lark run for half of the series before Bru and Lark made the jump to Marvel.

This is what I like to see. New faces. It is unbelievable how many people in my town have decided to add this title to their pulls. These are exciting DD times!

C.
Forrest
Lowlife

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darediva wrote:
I was half right about my Foggiest notions: that he would be in a witness protection program somewhere sitting on a beach with a babe on either arm sipping pina coladas.

Instead he's with some hairy-legged Fed in the 'burbs of Philadelphia. Oh well.

Razz

Here's a thought, what if Foggy is actually in the hands of Matt's tormentor? How much more could you mess with Matt after making him think Foggy is dead then by revealing that he's actually alive but being tortured, etc.? I don't know if Brubaker is that cold, though.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: