Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

What are you picking up this week? 9-7

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
daredevil99x
Fall From Grace

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 9:43 pm    Post subject: What are you picking up this week? 9-7 Reply with quote

Detective Comics #823
Cross Bronx #1
Forrest
Lowlife

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

52 #18 - Based on the cover, this should be great! Very Happy

Uncanny X-Men #478 - Brubaker! Razz
Clayton Blind Love
Redemption

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally back after a nice vacation.

52 of course! I'd say from week 11 to now, this has been one stand out run. The first two months were tough to get into, but now this book really seems to be a sure fire hit. As far as I am concerned, this has really been the Black Adam coming out party.

Tec' 823 - Dini is a master storyteller. In an age where comic stories are told in arcs, it is nice to see these single issue stories in Tec'.

OMAC 3 - Art is great, but Jones is trying to get me to drop it I'm sure. He can't write that well anymore.

C.
Forrest
Lowlife

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clayton Blind Love wrote:
OMAC 3 - Art is great, but Jones is trying to get me to drop it I'm sure. He can't write that well anymore.

Amen!

I was so stoked for One Year Later Nightwing, but Jones took over writing and within a couple issues I just could not handle it. In my experience, Bruce Jones is a painfully mediocre writer.
DDmikeMN
Ninja

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is cheating since I already have them in my possession. But...

Detective Comics #823 - I'm really loving what Dini is doing. I could actually see myself handing one of these issues to someone who doesn't read comics and having them enjoy it. Which says something about the character but more about the writer.

Y: The Last Man #49 - Only 11 left. I can't believe there is going to be a time in my life where there won't be Y. It feels like it should just keep on going forever being exciting and good. I guess in a way it will.
The Privateer
Redemption

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being as I have bought these, but haven't read any of them yet, I felt it best to post in the "I will be picking up", so ... errr.... I will be picking up the following:

52 WEEK #18 $2.50 - I must sound really negative here, but I am shocked that this hasn't missed a week yet and also I am thrilled that this hasn't missed a week, it has great rhythm and as a DC newbie it has been a great learning curve for me. Ooo Renee's curves!

DETECTIVE COMICS #823 $2.99 - Gents, you've already said it, this is a cut above the rest at the moment, it is soooo classy, it is almost getting a new release of Shakespeare, I really do think that we are in the middle or start of a "to-be" classic run by Paul Dini. I started to read Det Com and Batman comic from one year later, I was told it was a good jumping on point, I am so glad that I did, I would've hated to have missed this. A top recommendation to anyone who has an interest in the Batman character, but who doesn't get a Batman comic, there is some high quality stuff out there. Especially when Grant Morrison is doing the Batman comic as well, "Holy Quality Comics Batman!".

JONAH HEX #11 $2.99 - Enjoying this, though it is a little formulaic, I am under the impression that there is a three or four part story coming soon, all the previous issues have been one-shots, but the character is starting to be a little one-dimensional, so some sort of fleshing out of the character would be well appreciated. Though all this said, I have fallen a little behind with my comics, I blame moving myself and I have not read the previous issue.

RUSH CITY #2 (OF 6) - Enjoyed the first one, it may be a show piece for the car, but it certainly didn't come across as that in the first issue. If anything it was like a mini-film from the excellent BMW short film series starring the wonderful Clive Owen (Would have made a great James Bond), am interested to see where the story and character goes after setting it all out in #1.

PUNISHER #37 (MR) $2.99 - I love the Punisher, being as I am writing this after I have bought all these comics, but not read any yet, I decided not to post in the bought & thought, as I bought, but not yet thought as I have not opened a cover yet! I have loved all of Garth Ennis's Punisher MAX work, it is the format and character that is perfect for the writers talents. This is a new story arc picking up a character that was last used in the #13 - #18 Mother Russia arc, as much as dislike Ennis's villains, he created a great character in Nicki Carvelho or something like that, used in the first arc, bought him back in the fourth arc and killed him off. He was a complete git, and I was glad when Frank got him, but all the character development has now gone. So on the basis that Ennis is bringing another character back, I hope that he lives to fight another day perhaps in the hope of developing some "characters" in the Punisher landscape. But having not read it yet, if he is really nasty then I'll probably want Frank to whack him like the others, but hey, I'll say my piece now before I change my mind!
I bought a Punisher statue yesterday, it is a Marvel version of the Side Show Collectibles statue that cost about $200 or so, (the Tim Bradstreet variant was amazing), thus it was only cheap as not a proper one, but £25 for a big statue is perfect for my computer room.

If anyone ever reads or cares what I ramble on about then listen up my flock, I will share with you my two best big recommendations for the best two gems out in comic land at the moment.

The first one is from Dark Horse called Escapists, it is by Brian K Vaughn, which this is the first time that I have read or bought any of his work I think. It is all about the character "The Escapist", but it is not directly about the character, it is actually about this kid who is passionate about the character and wants to re-launch this golden age character back in to comic land. If you have any sort of passion about the comic industry then this is amazing stuff, there are great easy characters, it has a very gentle pace and has just been enthralling so far. It is not full or action or shocks and spills, it is a gentle, well told story thus far about passionate creators who want to launch a comic. This may sound weird but give it a go, it is a gem.

The second one is from Boom Studios (I think) called Talent, this has got a bit of press as it has been optioned as a film. Wow, this is amazing stuff, great story, great moody atmospheric art work, well written good characters, an amazing presentation from a small publisher. The story thus far is that a plane has crashed at the bottom of the sea, killing all passengers but one, and this surviving passenger has taken on the memories and skills of all the other passengers. Alot has happened in the two issues, it is really starting to spill out in to lots of possible story threads and ideas. Get on this train while it is only just pulling out of station, this is going to be a great ride.

There! I've told, I've shared and recommended, I can't do any more than that! Wink
Dave Wallace
Paradiso

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Privateer wrote:
DETECTIVE COMICS #823 $2.99 - Gents, you've already said it, this is a cut above the rest at the moment, it is soooo classy, it is almost getting a new release of Shakespeare, I really do think that we are in the middle or start of a "to-be" classic run by Paul Dini. I started to read Det Com and Batman comic from one year later, I was told it was a good jumping on point, I am so glad that I did, I would've hated to have missed this. A top recommendation to anyone who has an interest in the Batman character, but who doesn't get a Batman comic, there is some high quality stuff out there. Especially when Grant Morrison is doing the Batman comic as well, "Holy Quality Comics Batman!".

I bought this on a recommendation from the shop that both the Privateer and I frequent, and it's definitely worth picking up, even if you're not usually a Batman reader. I've started both Morrison's and Dini's titles, and although Morrison's Batman is promising interesting things, I think this book just edges it out at the moment. Here's my latest reviews of both, if anyone's interested:

Detective #822:
http://www.silverbulletcomicbooks.com/reviews/115713165985757.htm

Batman #656:
http://www.silverbulletcomicbooks.com/reviews/115737732043.htm

The Privateer wrote:
... Escapists, it is by Brian K Vaughn, which this is the first time that I have read or bought any of his work I think. It is all about the character "The Escapist", but it is not directly about the character, it is actually about this kid who is passionate about the character and wants to re-launch this golden age character back in to comic land. If you have any sort of passion about the comic industry then this is amazing stuff, there are great easy characters, it has a very gentle pace and has just been enthralling so far. It is not full or action or shocks and spills, it is a gentle, well told story thus far about passionate creators who want to launch a comic. This may sound weird but give it a go, it is a gem.

Have you read the original novel that the Escapist sprung out of, "The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay"? I keep meaning to get round to it...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Amazing_Adventures_of_Kavalier_%26_Clay

Also, if you've never read Vaughn's stuff before, you've really got to check out Ex Machina. (I thought you already read it? Ah well.) I read his Y: The Last Man but wasn't so keen. I'm also interested in his upcoming Pride of Baghdad graphic novel - more info here:

http://forum.newsarama.com/showthread.php?t=82394
The Privateer
Redemption

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave Wallace wrote:
Have you read the original novel that the Escapist sprung out of, "The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay"? I keep meaning to get round to it...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Amazing_Adventures_of_Kavalier_%26_Clay

I haven't, I've read the bits that BKV makes reference to in Escapists etc, but I think that I may check it out.

Dave Wallace wrote:
Also, if you've never read Vaughn's stuff before, you've really got to check out Ex Machina. (I thought you already read it? Ah well.) I read his Y: The Last Man but wasn't so keen. I'm also interested in his upcoming Pride of Baghdad graphic novel - more info here:

http://forum.newsarama.com/showthread.php?t=82394

This is a funny one, I know that I would love his stuff, I like the idea and plot, that I can see, from YTLM, but I have never read or bought one. Along with Ex Machina, they are on my "no comics, buy a trade week" list of trades that I must start to read. I should get them and find out if they are as good as everyone says. Perhaps I may start to get YLTM after it finishes.

Dave, are you going to the Sean Phillips signing (PM me if you don't want to bore these Yanks & Canucks with some minor cool comic event that is actually taking place in Blighty for once!!)? What a coup! From the look of the book and how good it appears to be, in my opinion it would be like Bendis or Millar doing a tour to promote the Big Marvel summer event, Criminal will be a dead cert!
Dave Wallace
Paradiso

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Privateer wrote:
Dave, are you going to the Sean Phillips signing (PM me if you don't want to bore these Yanks & Canucks with some minor cool comic event that is actually taking place in Blighty for once!!)? What a coup! From the look of the book and how good it appears to be, in my opinion it would be like Bendis or Millar doing a tour to promote the Big Marvel summer event, Criminal will be a dead cert!

When is it? I may come along if I can fit it in around work. I haven't read his stuff before, but I'm thinking I'll probably pick up Criminal...
The Privateer
Redemption

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave Wallace wrote:
The Privateer wrote:

When is it? I may come along if I can fit it in around work. I haven't read his stuff before, but I'm thinking I'll probably pick up Criminal...
Sean will be there on Tuesday 24th October @17:00, I'll ask if he will draw me something from Sleeper perhaps, dunno, I've never done one of these things before, I don't want to be too much of a fan boy!
train
Guardian Devil

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Privateer wrote:
The first one is from Dark Horse called Escapists, it is by Brian K Vaughn, which this is the first time that I have read or bought any of his work I think. It is all about the character "The Escapist", but it is not directly about the character, it is actually about this kid who is passionate about the character and wants to re-launch this golden age character back in to comic land. If you have any sort of passion about the comic industry then this is amazing stuff, there are great easy characters, it has a very gentle pace and has just been enthralling so far. It is not full or action or shocks and spills, it is a gentle, well told story thus far about passionate creators who want to launch a comic. This may sound weird but give it a go, it is a gem.

True enough. This comic is great stuff. The source material "The Adventures of Cavalier and Clay" is a wonderful book (pulitzer prize winner, no less)

The Privateer wrote:
Get on this train while it is only just pulling out of station, this is going to be a great ride.

Shouldn't you check with my wife before you go make such statements?
cas
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Privateer wrote:
...The first one is from Dark Horse called Escapists, it is by Brian K Vaughn, which this is the first time that I have read or bought any of his work I think. It is all about the character "The Escapist", but it is not directly about the character, it is actually about this kid who is passionate about the character and wants to re-launch this golden age character back in to comic land. If you have any sort of passion about the comic industry then this is amazing stuff, there are great easy characters, it has a very gentle pace and has just been enthralling so far. It is not full or action or shocks and spills, it is a gentle, well told story thus far about passionate creators who want to launch a comic. This may sound weird but give it a go, it is a gem.

The second one is from Boom Studios (I think) called Talent, this has got a bit of press as it has been optioned as a film. Wow, this is amazing stuff, great story, great moody atmospheric art work, well written good characters, an amazing presentation from a small publisher. The story thus far is that a plane has crashed at the bottom of the sea, killing all passengers but one, and this surviving passenger has taken on the memories and skills of all the other passengers. Alot has happened in the two issues, it is really starting to spill out in to lots of possible story threads and ideas. Get on this train while it is only just pulling out of station, this is going to be a great ride.

There! I've told, I've shared and recommended, I can't do any more than that! Wink

I like both of these a great deal. But you must read Kavalier and Clay. Now! You need that background, I think, for The Escapists. The title works ok without it, but is so much better with it. And K&C is just such a great read. I found my copy in the local Oxfam shop (that made me a very happy bunny).

Talent is one of those titles that a friend recommended. I'm not sure I would have picked it up otherwise. But the couple of issues I have read thus far have been excellent. Definitely worth checking out.

Oh, and I am quite envious of the Sean Phillips signing, btw. No-one ever comes to Reading Wink

Carrie
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: