Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

The Devil Takes a Ride Part 1 - SPOILERS!!!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dimetre
Underboss

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 5:31 pm    Post subject: The Devil Takes a Ride Part 1 - SPOILERS!!! Reply with quote

So what did y'all think?

I think Brubaker has really made Daredevil his own with this issue. I was nervous about Brubaker taking Daredevil to Europe, because Daredevil and Hell's Kitchen go hand in hand, but going to Europe allowed Brubaker to bring out some of his finest tricks.

The film noir style first person narration and the locale reminded my of Brubaker's Sleeper. Near the end when scents from Daredevil's past are coming back to haunt him, it reminded me of Brubaker's first Captain America issues. But the fight with the new Matador and Lucca's cronies is classic Daredevil... dodging bullets, doing somersaults. I think it's been years since I saw a classic Daredevil fight like this.

With this issue it feels as though any remnants of Bendis and Maleev in the series have finally been washed away. The series now has incredible forward momentum. By my count I'd say that five major plot points were introduced in this issue. I can't wait for the next issue. It feels good to say that!
Lundonj
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was great to see DD back in action, but it was also another very dense issue covering a tremendous amount of ground.

I wonder if Lily is a willing part of the trap?

And, since Matt is still getting played at some level, maybe the arc should be called, "Devil gets TAKEN for a ride!" Razz

I'm all out of superlatives, I've loved every page of the Bru/Lark run (plus the nice art by Aja on the Foggy story) and I'm looking forward to the next page...

-Don
Darediva
Wake Up

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did get a sketch cover of this issue, but only at more than 3x the cover price from my "friends" at the LCS, who so graciously put it in my file with a $10.00 price tag slapped on the wrapper. (Actually, I won't get it until after the first of the month.)

Great way to show Matt's continued angst over Foggy's demise, even as we know it's not true. I also liked the reveal on how Matt got out of the country, and how he cheats playing poker! Knew those hypersenses were good for something besides fighting crime. Twisted Evil

What a ploy to get the Matador back into the plot (even if it is another guy) without it being totally cheesy! Great skulls on the costume, too.

I like seeing the radar effect back in the book. I missed that.

Who is the guy in the wing-back chair with the IV hookup? Or is it a guy? Better and better...

Those who throw dirt merely lose ground.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Lundonj
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheating? Matt was simply doing what we all try to do in poker, we use our best observations, machinations and manipulations to gain an advantage. His ability to "observe" is just better!

Those people should learn not to be so nervous and have such easy tells. Hehe.

I'm a little creeped out with someone being able to acquire a 'scent' of Karen as part of a bigger trap. Kind of scary.

Whoever it is behind all of this, knows DD extremely, extremely well.

-Don (missed the radar FX as well)
train
Guardian Devil

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wonderful issue. i, too, was a little apprehensive about the move to europe...bru didn't hesitate to prove me wrong. i loved everything about this issue.
Dave Wallace
Paradiso

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found this a little disappointing - I thought the art felt a bit washed-out and the story didn't really grab me. I think I prefer the noir-Daredevil to the swashbuckler, sorry! Also, it bugs me when superheroes take the costume somewhere foreign and expect it not to draw any attention...

One more thing: How does Matt convince people that a blind man can play poker. He's obviously blind, by the way his eyes look, no?

(Oh, and Darediva - you got the sketch cover more cheaply than I've seen it sold in the UK - £10 in my LCS).
train
Guardian Devil

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave Wallace wrote:

One more thing: How does Matt convince people that a blind man can play poker. He's obviously blind, by the way his eyes look, no?

look carefully and you'll notice Matt putting contact lenses into his eyes to disguise his eyes.
Dave Wallace
Paradiso

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn, you people are good! Very Happy

I didn't spot that on my first read. Time for another look at the issue, I think...
Clayton Blind Love
Redemption

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

train wrote:
Dave Wallace wrote:

look carefully and you'll notice Matt putting contact lenses into his eyes to disguise his eyes.

I thought the contacts were to ensure that he didn't look blind at all. Did he have his cane with him? I don't seem to recall. He is pretending to be a sighted man I thought.

That said, blind people are legally allowed to play poker. I have seen it. This person had someone from the establishment to whisper the cards in her ear. Everyone at the table was made aware and had the choice to sit at the table or not. She kicked ass! Shocked

I liked the issue. Maybe not as much as the last issue, but I like the mystery this sets. No question in my mind that the scent of Karen was planted and connects the lady to the mysterious planner. She might not be willing, hence Matt's senses not being able to detect any suspision. The mystery man wants Matt to go after this woman. The "bait is hooked."

My sweet suprise when my LCS owner pulled out the sketch cover from behind the table and said, "5 bucks!" It obviously pays to know certain people. Very Happy

C.
Forrest
Lowlife

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: The Devil Takes a Ride Part 1 - SPOILERS!!! Reply with quote

Dimetre wrote:
I think it's been years since I saw a classic Daredevil fight like this.

With this issue it feels as though any remnants of Bendis and Maleev in the series have finally been washed away. The series now has incredible forward momentum. By my count I'd say that five major plot points were introduced in this issue. I can't wait for the next issue. It feels good to say that!

Well said! I agree entirely.

This issue is my favorite volume 2 issue, yet! ...I know I said that about #86, but that was months ago. Razz Seriously, DD has not been this consistent and authentic for at least a decade (by my count Razz).

Regarding the fear of taking Matt/DD out of Hell's Kitchen, I think the history of DD is very rich in adventure outside NYC. Heck, one of Miller's best DD (#219) issues takes place in a sleepy little New England town. Many fans of this board consider Nocenti's greatest work to be Matt's swashbuckling Hell arc. My favorite Stan Lee DD are the Savage Land/Ka-Zar stories. Likewise, my favorite O'Neil work took place in Japan.

If Matt doesn't get out of NYC once in a while, the setting becomes stale.

Last note about #89, how cool was Matt's poker game?!?! Great DD stories show Matt using his abilities and cunning in such situations that the reader can't help but laugh to himself/herself and cheer on Matt/DD. That element of DD has been absent for most of volume 2, except for a few great Bendis moments (suing the paper, etc.).

Brubaker is well on his way to being a legendary DD writer!
johndunbar
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really enjoyed this one.

The panel of Matt putting in the lenses was very cool.

And as a poker player myself, I'm quite jealous of Matt's ability to read people, lucky dog.

The only thing I thought was odd, was the timing when Matt asked Lily about Lennox.

Great part 1 though.
Darediva
Wake Up

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave Wallace wrote:

I didn't spot that on my first read. Time for another look at the issue, I think...

Hey, Dave...look at the pictures when you read, man! It's part of the whole comic book thing, ya know? Laughing

Matt's passing for sighted right now, although I noticed he's wearing shades, too. Part of that cool poker player dude thing, I suppose? Not that it wouldn't hurt to cover up the fact that his eyes would still look a little odd, and he might not look straight at other people, and even cover up a possible tell of his own.

Those who throw dirt merely lose ground.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Dave Wallace
Paradiso

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darediva wrote:
Dave Wallace wrote:

Hey, Dave...look at the pictures when you read, man! It's part of the whole comic book thing, ya know? Laughing

Gah! My credibility as a comics reviewer is in the toilet! Smile
pbblair
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 3:30 am    Post subject: Red Roses Reply with quote

Take a look at the use of roses throughout this issue. The first time I read it, I noticed the ones at the bottom of the stairs (when Matt first notices the scent). They caught my eye because of the emblem on the invitation (a bit of forshadowing with the sword, no?) On the second read, I noticed them in another place as well, which probably influenced another bit of sensory recognition. I don't want to spoil that one... see if you can find it. Now think about the end of the issue-- the time spent walking around gardens that seem to have no roses, but then look at the color of Lily's dress! Perhaps she IS the rose in the garden, eh? Also, Lily--- a flower! Not sure what's intentional and what's a coincidence at this point, but it's worth rereading with these things in mind.
Forrest
Lowlife

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DD is across the Atlantic... do you think we'll see Ka-Zar?!?! Very Happy

That would be a fanboy moment to top the Mike-Murdock-on-his-passport moment! Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: