Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

Return of Karen Page? Let's get some numbers. :D
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do you want Karen to return (e.g. never have been killed)?
Yes, but only if there is a very tight story behind it.
20%
 20%  [ 6 ]
Yes, and I don't care how! :P
6%
 6%  [ 2 ]
No, because there is no need to bring her back.
53%
 53%  [ 16 ]
No, only because it could not be pulled off well.
20%
 20%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 30

rgj
Hardcore

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I said before, Ben HAD a choice. And, really, all he had to do was stall for a couple of hours. It's ridiculous and uncharacteristic of Ben to sing so fast as he did. Not much of a reporter if he can't conceal his source.

rgj
Francesco
Underboss

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, that's also true. But add to this the emotional stress of being put all of a sudden in an aut-aut situation by a clearly obsessed FBI director (that guy openly threatened him). Urich is an ordinary man who always struggles to do what he can. He's not a superhero (and, personally, I don't require the writer to write him as one).
What can I say, in my opinion, considering his a betrayal/act of cowardice is a bit injust.
Clayton Blind Love
Redemption

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rgj wrote:
basically he had no "reason" to give up Murdock and truth be told, the FBI had no legitamite reason to hold him for over a year. A lawyer would have freed him easily.

As great as the Kingpin is as a manipulator, there was something he couldn't do. He couldn't simply get out of jail. Murdock was his free ticket and this acted as his last card to get out (mind you, he never got out anyways). The FBI director was never going to let Wilson out of jail. The FBI director was never going to let Wilson have his chance in a courtroom. He kept Wilson in jail for a year without trial and Wilson knew that no lawyer was going to get him out. Simply put, Wilson was never going to have a right to see a lawyer to begin with.

As I stated earlier, I couldn't help but feel that Bendis was portraying this FBI director so crooked by using post 9/11 anti-terrorist laws and applying them to other types of criminals. Can the FBI lock up someone without a right to a trial for up to a year or more? Probably not. But I believe this happens now even if it is illegal. Anti-terrorism laws are an abuse waiting to happen. However, this is a comicbook afterall. I'm sure a real lawyer would laugh at the bubblegum in this book for actual legal concerns.

C.
Clayton Blind Love
Redemption

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maher Arar

Maybe google this name and read a nightmare. He currently lives in my city.

A Canadian wrongfully detained by US authorites in New York City and sent to Syria, where he underwent a year of torture.

He was recently awarded with the Letelier-Moffitt Human Rights Award for his incredible act of bravery being wrongfully accused and denied basic human rights.

This is the reality of post 9/11. From this, it is not to hard to imagine a comicbook universe where an FBI director detains Wilson Fisk indefinetly without any rights. Add this to a fictional population who know all about Wilson Fisk and could probably care less if a government agency held Wilson Fisk without rights.

C.
rgj
Hardcore

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CBL wrote:
Can the FBI lock up someone without a right to a trial for up to a year or more? Probably not.

Exactly. And, Fisk is a public figure. No way the FBI can keep him that long. And, again, why was he arrested. Fisk was a man about town, despite his legal troubles, before he was almost killed. The FBI had nothing on him to arrest him. Then DD beats him up and throws him though a window of a seedy bar. So the FBI arrests him?? But, look, we're getting off track again. There are plenty of logical holes in Murdock Papers. Again, Ben had a choice (heck, he could have even stalled for a couple of hours as I said). Ben is a reporter. Wouldn't the FBI have to get a judge to get a reporter to give up his source?? Surly, Ben knew he had plenty of time. Ben sang because Bendis needed the arc to end. Simple. But, Ben had a choice.

rgj
Clayton Blind Love
Redemption

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ben had a choice yes, but in Ben's mind he didn't. Razz

C.
rgj
Hardcore

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Let's wrap thing up-Bendis's" mind. Razz

rgj

Last edited by rgj on Fri Oct 20, 2006 11:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Clayton Blind Love
Redemption

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Why can't I get the last word in? If I say 'hoochie mama', will he still respond anyways?" -my mind. Wink
rgj
Hardcore

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry. By all means, Clayton, the last word is yours . . . oops, I did it again. Razz

rgj
Clayton Blind Love
Redemption

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hoochie Mama!

By the way rgj, I think you are in cahoots with some NFLers throwing games for you. How else can you explain such a great record? The FBI maybe?
Twisted Evil

C.
rgj
Hardcore

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CBL wrote:
How else can you explain such a great record? The FBI maybe?

Like a great reporter (ie. Ben Urich) I would never give up that source! Oops. Cool

rgj
The Privateer
Redemption

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rgj wrote:
CBL wrote:
How else can you explain such a great record? The FBI maybe?

Like a great reporter (ie. Ben Urich) I would never give up that source! Oops. Cool

rgj
I wonder if rgj's picking record is part of Marvel's discarded 2007 big summer event, House of NFL, rgj is in cahoots with Scarlet Witch, altering the outcome of games.
Francesco
Underboss

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rgj wrote:
"Let's wrap thing up-Bendis's" mind. Razz

rgj

I disagree. If Bendis had Ben opposing the FBI director, as if it was nothing, I would've been even more disappointed.

Because that would've been the classic, kiddie cartoon scenario, where if you are a good guy, you act heroically even when in reality you couldn't.
rgj
Hardcore

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you think Ben saying "I don't know where she (the NN) is located," is some kind of over the top heroic posturing, I disagree with that. I'm not saying Ben has to open his coat and shirt and reveal a letter "B" on his chest in the face of the FBI. I'm just saying he should act like a reporter (like the reporter he is). And, seriously, where's the article about the FBI hiring assassins?

rgj
Francesco
Underboss

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Immediately after he'd said that, Davis would've replied something like "Fine, from now on consider your children in special protection program", with a crazed/pissed off facial expression, followed by an "Unless you decide to play smart and tell us where the NN is. And you better give the precise information otherwise I'll ruin your life (and your wife and childrens') by any means".
Deciding to oppose Davis, given the circumstances and the veiled threats, would've been indeed an heroic act he (as an ordinary man) couldn't afford.

Ben as I said, is not stupid, and as soon as Davis said "I fear you're going to jail" realized that there was no escape.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8

Jump to: