Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

super bowl

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The off-topic section
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gee
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 2:24 pm    Post subject: super bowl Reply with quote

okay so what do you guys think about the big game?

as a bears fan (yes a bears fan from scotland) i hope they can win with their defence, running game and that x factor (turnovers and returns). it gonna take a great game from them to beat the colts and their seemingly unstoppable offence.

gonna go with bears win 24-17.
rgj
Hardcore

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just hoping for a good, competitive game. You are right about the Bears and their defense and great special teams. And, they must run the ball effectively to win. There is a local boy here from South Texas (Rio Grande Valley), Roberto Garza, starting on Chicago's offensive line. It would be cool if he won a Superbowl ring. Still, I think this is the year that Peyton Manning and the Colts win the big one.

Colts 24
Bears 16

rgj
hylozoii
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope Peyton finally wins the big one! If he doesn't win, we're going to have to watch all 10 his commercials and think, "What a loser."

But in this day and age of NFL parity, anything can happen (look at my Cowboys). Chicago has ended the year hot, so I think the Bears will win the Superbowl. Peyton has played pretty poorly this playoff with 4-5 interceptions thrown. Surprisingly, it has been the Colts defense who has stepped up. The only chance the Colts have is if Freeney and the D-line turns Rex into a scared little cub under pressure.

I hope Peyton and his Colts win, but as always, defense is the name of the game, and the Bears have plenty.

Bears 20
Colts 13
fox_limbo
Humanity's Fathom

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was hoping to see either a Colts / Saints or Patriots / Bears (rematch of Superbowl XX) Superbowl match-up (thinking one or the other would be the more competitive Superbowl match up).

Neither the Bears or Colts ended the regular season particularly well (hylozoii said the Bears ended the season hot... hmm, I may have saw a completely different end to the regular season than I did... a 26 - 7 loss to a painfully average Green Bay Packers team does not make for a particularly inspiring end to the regular season).

All (regular) season long, the Colts were not as solid as they were over the last couple of years. I felt the Colts lost a couple of free agents (on offense and defense), most noteworthy Edgerrin James; and as hard as he tried the rookie, Joseph Addai, was certainly no Edge (if anything Dominic Rhodes probably pulled off that masquarade the best between the running backs they had from what I've been able to tell). The struggles on defense were very obvious (giving up 200+ yards rushing against the Jacksonville Jaguars IN THE FIRST HALF, anyone?). I felt the Colts were not as good a team as they were the last couple of years and that the hype circulated around them was greatly, greatly over-rated. It seemed to me the window of opportunity had closed on the current Colts regime (as much as I hated to see Payton Manning be this generation's manifestation of Dan Marino).

The Bears had been stout on defense the first half of the year. With the loss of Tommy Harris and Mike Brown (and the situation with Tank Johnson), the defense was severely handicapped and holes began to open up with a perviously impervious defense. The secondary specifically became the weak chain in the entire defense (the corners did not play physically at the point of attack and the safeties were exploited, it seems the loss of Mike Brown was the one that hurt the defense the most).

Then, the struggles with an up-and-down Rex Grossman have been widely publicized.

The Special Teams for the Chicago Bears have been just that. Special. Very, very special. Great kick coverage teams, good blocking. And, of course, Devin Hester.

To me, it seemed as if the Colts were backing into the play-offs; and the Bears were, at best, skidding into them as well.

However, both teams righted their respective ships in the post-season (the play of the Colts' defense is down-right miraculous given their floudering throughout most of the regular season).

Rex Grossman was average for the Bears (he was not a Trent Dilfer, by any means... Dilfer managed an average offense with the Baltimore Ravens, back in the day; Not-So-Sexy Rexy has hardly been able to manage an average offense quite to that extent). The thing he has done well, for the most part, was eliminate the game-changing turnover.

The Bears' defense against the Colts' offense is going to take the highlights, but where the game will decide the game. Will the Bears be able to run against the Colts' defense? If the Bears can run the ball with authority (and not depend on the inconsistant arm of Rex Grossman), the Bears will take this thing, running away. If the Colts run defense holds up, like it had throughout the post-season (and very much unlike the whole of the regular season), it will put a LOT of pressure on the Bears defense to contain Payton Manning and the Colts' offense.

Like rgj, I'm hoping for a close, competitive game.

If I had a gun to my head and to pick a winner, I'd say the Colts will win by a last second Adam Vinatieri field goal.
hylozoii
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fox_limbo wrote:
Neither the Bears or Colts ended the regular season particularly well (hylozoii said the Bears ended the season hot... hmm, I may have saw a completely different end to the regular season than I did... a 26 - 7 loss to a painfully average Green Bay Packers team does not make for a particularly inspiring end to the regular season).

Oops, you're right. I meant in the playoffs the
Bears have performed better than the Colts. Peyton has played pretty poorly in the playoffs as he always does. I just can't see the Colts winning this one. Again, the only way I see the Colts winning is if Rex has another Arizona-like game.

And I was hoping for a San Diego vs New Orleans because of Brees' history.
Mr Slaughter
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huge Colts fan since Faulk last not was a highlight of my last 22 years.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The off-topic section All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: