Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

Rob Liefeld
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The off-topic section
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Rob Liefeld's work (please delete if this has been polled already)
Ya
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
nay
90%
 90%  [ 10 ]
meh
9%
 9%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 11

globalhonored
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Liefeld I could definitely do without but Dillon and Quietly? Steve Dillon is among my top ten faves as his Punisher is the definitive version IMO and I like a lot of Quietly stuff too, especially Flex Mentallo though I don't believe him to be the best in comics like many praise him as (JH Williams III, Mike Allred or Darwyn Cooke...maybe David Aja would be my choices for that title.)

Liefeld's era is long past and looked down upon these days. As a writer or "creator" he often copied established characters and Liefeldized their looks, putting them in books with similar plots and little story. Though at the time (early 90s) his style sold millions and was "IT." His Cable (the original Marvel one) was the hottest character in comics for a while. Youngblood sold bunches...but yeah, that era has passed. Is he as bad as many make him out to be now? Prob not...in fact I am interested to see his current work as an artist but as for this poll, mark me as a nah. Many artists struggle with feet, that's the beauty of the chopped off panel boxes!
DarkKnightJared
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure I can draw better then Liefeld--and I'm a complete amateur still trying to get a grasp at the basics.

Master Murdock wrote:
james castle wrote:
Steve Dillon & Frank Quitely? The two worst artists in modern comics? The artists on Preacher and All Star Superman? Ennis and Morrisson are good but they ain't that good.

For my money Quitely is the best artist to ever draw comics. The level of detail and emotion in everything he does is just jaw dropping.

Both of these people draw characters with terrible anatomy and all the faces are the same.

Well, your screen-name is appropriate--for you must be blind as Murdock is. Razz

Seriously, while I'll grant you that Dillion has a bit of that "same-face syndrome," Frank Quitely definitely does different faces for each character, and he doesn't have terrible anatomy at all--in fact, he draws the characters like realistic, athletic people, and not power-lifters that a lot of comic artists fall into.
The Mast
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I try not to hate on Liefield so much because he co-created the character I love almost as much as Daredevil, Deadpool.

I loved his early Deadpool, but then...I was looking at his more recent Deadpool work and realised: "Oh wait, he's terribly **** at all this.".

I liked his Deadpool even when I hated all his other work, because everyone has sunken-cheek syndrome and the backgrounds are horrid.

Definitely off the Liefield train.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
acnelson
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DarkKnightJared wrote:
I'm pretty sure I can draw better then Liefeld--and I'm a complete amateur still trying to get a grasp at the basics.

Master Murdock wrote:
james castle wrote:
Steve Dillon & Frank Quitely? The two worst artists in modern comics? The artists on Preacher and All Star Superman? Ennis and Morrisson are good but they ain't that good.

For my money Quitely is the best artist to ever draw comics. The level of detail and emotion in everything he does is just jaw dropping.

Both of these people draw characters with terrible anatomy and all the faces are the same.

Well, your screen-name is appropriate--for you must be blind as Murdock is. Razz

Seriously, while I'll grant you that Dillion has a bit of that "same-face syndrome," Frank Quitely definitely does different faces for each character, and he doesn't have terrible anatomy at all--in fact, he draws the characters like realistic, athletic people, and not power-lifters that a lot of comic artists fall into.

Remember that Emma Frost New X Men cover (Bulge in pants nevermind that she looks like a manga)

Batman and Robin #12 cover ( Dick's leg is like 3 miles long)

Why does Quitely have to have so many wrinkles on everybody?
baker
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love Frank Quitely. Hate Steve Dillon. Used to love Rob Liefeld.
PlanBFromOuterSpace
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Liefeld's biggest problem is that he hasn't really improved in any noticeable way in the last 20 years. All of the problems that were there in the beginning are STILL there. The only improvements I've seen in connection with his work have been the coloring, and maybe some of the inking, but that's someone else cleaning up his mess. He's also a pretty pathetic visual storyteller. Pretty much everything's a splash page. I think that all of the early Image guys were exposed a bit when they no longer had to answer to editors, when they became their own bosses, and Liefeld was probably the worst.

Anyone notice that his work usually doesn't even HAVE backgrounds? There will be like a 6-page fight scene that takes place on what is essentially a blank page. I also have no idea what he's thinking with his layouts either, as even though his characters appear in panels by themselves (again, no backgrounds), they're often out of frame or too close to one side or another of the panel, like something else SHOULD be there. Has anyone seen that Image United series? The one where all of the non-Jim Lee Image creators are participating, with the gimmick being that they're all drawing their individual characters in the comic? I swear, if you remove everyone else's artwork, leaving only Liefeld's work behind, it STILL doesn't look any different than your average Liefeld comic! HA!

Also, I've loved Dillon since Preacher, and he HAS somewhat gotten over his case of everyone-looks-the-same-itis (his current Punisher run is some of his best stuff), but I've never liked him all that much on just straight superhero stuff. It's nice to see him getting higher-profile work though in recent years. As far as Quitely is concerned, I've never thought that his art was so bad really, and as a visual storyteller he's pretty great, but more often than not his faces ARE pretty fugly.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The off-topic section All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: