Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

DAREDEVIL: WAKE UP Ratings & Reviews

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> User Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Your rating (out of 5)?
9%
 9%  [ 1 ]
45%
 45%  [ 5 ]
36%
 36%  [ 4 ]
9%
 9%  [ 1 ]
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 11

admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:31 pm    Post subject: DAREDEVIL: WAKE UP Ratings & Reviews Reply with quote

DAREDEVIL: WAKE UP

This collection reprints Volume 2 #16-19, and was the first DD story written by Brian Michael Bendis, with artwork by David Mack. What connection does Leap-Frog's son have to Daredevil, and why is Ben Urich so interested in telling that story?
Dimetre
Underboss

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't care for this. If Bendis wanted to write a Ben Urich comic, then it should have been released as one. Plus, Daredevil, when he finally does appear, whines about the lameness of his rogues gallery, which is lame in itself. I love David Mack's art, but it's a little distracting seeing celebrities like Leonardo DiCaprio and Lauryn Hill pose as characters in this story.
AP
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's an interesting story and I always love seeing Ben Urich in DD (bring him back Waid, please?!), but it does feel out of place. It definitely has more of a one-shot feel.

But I think you really have to think about where they were with the series at the time this story was published. This did come out before Bendis was a big name and Volume 2 was in its infant stage. They were certainly more willing to experiment since experimentation and reviving sales was the point of starting anew. Also, they didn't have a steady writer yet, which may have been the plan early on. They were jumping from writer to writer (Smith to Mack to Bendis to Gale and finally to Bendis) at the time so they may have been throwing stuff at the wall and seeing what stuck.

Quite frankly, I don't find it lame that he commented on his rogues gallery because by and large it is lame! Sure, it was sort of like breaking the 4th wall, a wink to the audience if you will, but seeing as how the entire story and art is rather experimetal for a mainstream comic it didn't really bother me. It fit. Not the greatest DD tale, but a nice detour from the typical comic book story.
phap
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found the story and the art absolutely brillant. I voted 5 because, I've read it twice, and it made me cry twice... I'm a 35 years old man Smile and it never happed to me in any other comics
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> User Reviews All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: