Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

Marvel's Daredevil S1E7 Discussion
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The Netflix show and other movies
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kuljit Mithra
Hardcore

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 8:53 pm    Post subject: Marvel's Daredevil S1E7 Discussion Reply with quote

Discussion for Marvel's Daredevil S1E7.
Please only discuss elements in this episode (or previous episodes if it applies) but not anything that happens in episodes after this one.

Last edited by Kuljit Mithra on Thu Nov 19, 2015 3:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Acerbus
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably my favorite episode of the series thus far. Scott Glenn was pitch-perfect as Stick. I love the focus on the Yakuza and the obvious allusions to The Hand.

The only thing I'm shaking my head at a bit is the choice to forego Matt's adolescent revenge against The Fixer and his thugs. Maybe they show that later on in flashback, but this episode seems to suggest that after Jack died, Matt was trained by Stick and... that was basically it. I like the father/son dynamic between Stick and Matt, but I think they would be stronger if he had taken revenge against Fixer, and Stick's disappointment in that fact is what caused Stick to abandon him.

Maybe they thought having a little kid running around in a ski mask, dropping thugs would look too ridiculous? I can see that being the case. Still, bit of a misstep, in my opinion.
Guardian-Devil
Tree of Knowledge

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only think i want to say about this episode (the best so far) is...

'nuff said...
Hardcore

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Stick"

-So good. Scott Glenn is amazing.
-young Matt is also great
-hint that Maggie is still alive
-War is Coming
-Is that Stone at the end?
-Best episode so far
Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Acerbus wrote:

Maybe they thought having a little kid running around in a ski mask, dropping thugs would look too ridiculous? I can see that being the case. Still, bit of a misstep, in my opinion.

Yeah, I think the decision to make Jack's death when Matt was so young was a big part of it.

Loved Stick. They nailed the character perfectly - perhaps more perfect than any other character so far. He's a bit more ambiguous with his willingness to kill, but that's OK. Most importantly, he's still an A-Hole. There's a touch of mystical without going to far (just enough to foreshadow things like the Hand).

Four and a Half Stars.

Not sure what to read next? Check out the Book Club for some ideas!

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons
Dimetre
Underboss

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott Glenn is absolutely perfect as Stick. I really like that it was Stick that convinced Matt to become a fighter. According to this show, Matt would never have chosen that route had Stick not come along.

Obviously Charlie Cox is doing a great job as Matt, but I'm finding something about his performance distracting. I've noticed it before this episode too. Early in this installment, Foggy is leaving the office, but turns back and says, "Hey Matty." Matt looks up from his papers. He looks up at Foggy. I've noticed Cox turning towards Rosario Dawson a few times before this as well. I can buy him turning his head when someone calls him, but not turning towards them. Sometimes he even seems to make eye contact.

This is a rather large distraction in an otherwise great performance.
Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I don't know if a seeing person could ever perfectly portray a blind person, I thought he got it right more than wrong. He's often doing exactly what you described (just turning an ear or not looking straight on). He also does a good job of feeling or holding out a hand to shake rather than actually reaching for someone's hand. If they slip up sometimes, that's understandable, particularly since Matt Murdock is more than capable of actually turning to directly face you and could slip up as well (on the other hand, his natural instinct probably wouldn't be to face you since he gains nothing by it, but he's probably training himself as Daredevil to face you so you buy that he can see).

Not sure what to read next? Check out the Book Club for some ideas!

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons
rgj
Hardcore

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found this episode to be one of the weakest.
chamber
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loved Scott Glenn as Stick and the way they portrayed their relationship. Nice little tease towards a future storyline as well.
rgj
Hardcore

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, young Matt is at a Catholic orphanage. I wonder if the nun is his mom. I think it was a misstep to follow the movie. Now, Matt has an entire history in an orphanage, instead of being a high school senior (Lee) or college freshman (Milller) when his dad died. Matt's revenge on The Fixer is also lost.

I also believe they over did Stick's senses. He has normal senses. He can't taste an ice cream like Matt can. Or hear a man dying. Oh, well, still good show. This was a bad episode, but the show is good.

BTW, having binged and seen all episodes, I kind of forget what was where and came before as I post randomly on all the episodes post. My biggest fear is giving away spoilers.
The Overlord
Paradiso

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rgj wrote:
I found this episode to be one of the weakest.

To be fair this episode might just be set up for the Defenders, they seem to have set a lot of threads in motion with the Hand and Madame Gao over this season that will clearly pay off later.

The Hand or someone from K'un L'un may be the villains of the Defenders series (or possibly an alliance between the Hand and someone from K'un L'un).

Last edited by The Overlord on Sun Apr 12, 2015 11:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dimetre
Underboss

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just wanted to add that I felt that the scene with young Matt and Stick on the bench could have been shortened quite a bit without losing much.
MarcWagz
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

felt like Stick bailed on Matt too soon.
This is a problem with Matt being such a young kid, obviously he is going to get attached to you even if you beat him with your Stick.

Still Matt could have benefitted from a lot more training, but I guess he would have been brainwashed by Stick at that point and wouldn't have become the character we enjoy.
Clayton Blind Love
Redemption

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made it through 7 episodes this past weekend (3 nights) and I'm probably not attempting anymore until Friday. I'm just too busy with my non-profit taxi business during the week (kids!).

Up to this episode, I would say that 4 & 7 are the standouts. I think 3 and maybe 5 were the weaker ones. 1 and 2 have no right at all to be as good as they are for tv. These things are supposed to take time to find their feet, but Marvel obviously knows what to do here. If I'm to rate the series up to now, I'd give it 4 1/2 stars (out of 5).
Funny, I think they had to make the movie 1st to create a tangible item of "what not to do" in order to make something like this happen. Thanks Fox!
Hopefully, I complete the viewing by this Sunday pm.

C.
Dayle88
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All the other obvious positive points aside I really like what they are doing plot wise. So far we've had Matt up against the Russians, a small introduction to Fisk as a man and the Kingpin. Then he destroys the Russians and pins it (and the murder of corrupt cops) on Matt while he finds his next target up the ladder and who else is involved. This episode goes in a different direction and gives as a bookend to Matt versus the Russians and lets his current negative position thanks to Fisk settle in as he helps Stick out. It gives us a small break to contemplate what Matt has accomplished, how little he knows about what he is up against and does it by throwing an entirely different set of stakes into the mix so the show doesn't let up for a second.

Scott Glenn was incredible and the scenes between him and Matt, young and old, fighting and learning were as much a highlight as the hallway scene at the end of two.

I'm more watching in amazement than taking it all in right now. It's a similar thing that happens to me when I read an incredible comic or book. That's probably the highest praise I could personally give the show.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The Netflix show and other movies All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: