Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

Marvel's Daredevil S1E4 Discussion

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The Netflix show and other movies
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kuljit Mithra
Hardcore

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 8:55 pm    Post subject: Marvel's Daredevil S1E4 Discussion Reply with quote

Discussion for Marvel's Daredevil S1E4.
Please only discuss elements in this episode (or previous episodes if it applies) but not anything that happens in episodes after this one.

Last edited by Kuljit Mithra on Thu Nov 19, 2015 4:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dimetre
Underboss

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! I've always loved Vincent D'Onofrio's acting, but that wasn't acting. That was Wilson Fisk. That was the Kingpin. Perfection.

This is turning out to be a very strong show. Ben Urich is awesome. I'm enjoying the budding relationship between Matt and Claire. There is some really nice work from Rosario Dawson in this episode. You really feel the terror through which she went.

If there is a problem I'm having, it's how close Matt is coming to killing criminals. The one he let fall from a roof at the beginning of this episode, I don't see how he could have known the fall wouldn't have killed him. I don't want Daredevil to be okay with killing. He's not an executioner, and he would never view himself that way.
Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^ I agree with that. The throwing from a roof thing was a bit much. It was memorable with Bullseye because it was Matt pushed to the brink. Earlier, he had saved Bullseye's life, so the contrast was noteworthy. I don't think they should start that way. That being said, I'm forgiving it for two reasons: One, this show is awesome and, two, he hasn't killed anyone yet, which is a good thing.

To me, this is a Wilson Fisk episode. As with my other reviews so far, I took notes going along, but the Manhattans created incomprehensible chicken scratch. In fact, right after I wrote the proceeding sentence, I went to bed. But the Kingpin was great. Vincent D'Onofrio does a great job of portraying a newly rich man - someone who is lower class but trying hard to seem sophisticated. On the other hand, he can be quite brutal and vicious when he needs to be. Certainly, I'm seeing the claim that he is a child and a monster.

Aside from that, I can't read what I wrote. I see I wrote "faxes suck, but we still use them" at one point, but I have no idea why. The last thing I wrote was "ow." Considering I didn't write it last episode for the spike thing, I guess the door scene had a bigger impact. However, I best stop my review here and start watching again today. Overall, I'm giving this one an even Four.

Not sure what to read next? Check out the Book Club for some ideas!

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons
chamber
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fisk is terrifying. I certainly got the childlike quality to him that Vincent D'Onofrio mentioned.
Kuljit Mithra
Hardcore

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"In the Blood"

-wow, that was crazy, never thought I'd see that in a Marvel show
-like the Russian brothers, interesting "shiv"
-whole taxi fight scene is well done
-nice reference to "Tell Mr. Potter need a new suit"
Dave Wallace
Paradiso

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, Kingpin was really the star of the show here, and I love how he's being handled. The rapport with Vanessa is very interesting.

Brutal ending though - the show just seems to keep topping itself in that respect.
Ash-n-Bone
Tree of Knowledge

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, this is the episode that has me fully convinced. I liked episode 1, thought 2 was better, really enjoyed ep 3, but this was just absolutley awesome.

Rosario Dawson was incredible, as were her Russian captors.

Loved Vondie Curtis Hall for a long time and his casting as Urich was genius. His scenes with Karen are so good.

Foggy has gotten ten times better, now a fully believable character.

And Fisk was just mind blowing, loved him.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The Netflix show and other movies All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: