Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

Marvel's Daredevil S1E1 Discussion
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The Netflix show and other movies
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kuljit Mithra
Hardcore

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 8:57 pm    Post subject: Marvel's Daredevil S1E1 Discussion Reply with quote

Discussion for Marvel's Daredevil S1E1.
Please only discuss elements in this episode but not anything that happens in episodes after this one.

Last edited by Kuljit Mithra on Thu Nov 19, 2015 3:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Daredevil24
Humanity's Fathom

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Marvel's Daredevil S1E1 Discussion Reply with quote

Kuljit Mithra wrote:
Discussion for Marvel's Daredevil S1E1.
Please only discuss elements in this episode but not anything that happens in episodes after this one.
I live in California, is 12:01 the time it aires on Netflix?
Kuljit Mithra
Hardcore

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

12:01 PDT
3:01 EDT
8:01 BST
I think it's 3:01 AWST

Almost time!
Acerbus
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First impressions?

Superb. Utterly superb.
The ensemble play off each other excellently, I love that Kingpin wasn't introduced right away, so as to lend more impact to his inevitable reveal. The combat is jaw-dropping without resorting to hackneyed modern clichés like bullet-time or rotating cameras.

Charlie Cox's Matt Murdock is magnetic. A simultaneously vulnerable and powerful presence. Leland Owlsley deserves special mention, and I can't wait to see how The Owl develops as the series progresses.

The cinematography is feature film-quality.

In short? This is the adaptation we've been waiting for.
Can't wait to dig into the rest of the season. Bravo, Steven deKnight, Marvel, and Netflix.
Daredevil24
Humanity's Fathom

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This episode was fantastic!Ths is how Daredevil should always be written.This series has exceeded y expectations.
chamber
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amazing. Love Cox and Henson's banter. You buy into the friendship between them straight away.

The fight choreography is exceptional.
Dave Wallace
Paradiso

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm only 10 minutes in and it has already far exceeded my expectations. Smile
Dave Wallace
Paradiso

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finished the first episode and really enjoyed it. Cox is perfect as Matt and I really like the overall tone and feel of the show. Looking forward to more later.
Dimetre
Underboss

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finished watching the first episode around 4am EST. I'm found it a mixed bag.

Charlie Cox is great as Matt. The martial arts are impressive. The dialogue is sharp.

On the downside, am I alone in finding Elden Henson's delivery of lines awkward? It sounds as if he's acting, as opposed to just being Foggy Nelson.

Also, I was kind of disturbed by Matt standing over a guy and punching him in the face over and over and over again. I never considered him that crude a fighter (and yes, I know Alex Maleev drew Matt fighting that way at least twice to my knowledge. Not my favourite era.) As impressive as the martial arts are, I wouldn't mind some more eclectic moves coming into play.

I was surprised at how long some of the scenes were. That's not necessarily a problem. The scene between Matt and Karen was well done. It seems to have come at the expense of some action, that's all.

Anyway, I'm ready to watch episode 2.
Dave Wallace
Paradiso

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Henson definitely sounds a bit stiff in the early scenes (especially his first, unfortunately), but I think he gets comfortable in the role pretty quick.

As for the crudeness of Matt's fighting style, I'm hoping that - like the costume - that's something we'll see get more developed and refined as the series goes on.
Acerbus
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave Wallace wrote:
Henson definitely sounds a bit stiff in the early scenes (especially his first, unfortunately), but I think he gets comfortable in the role pretty quick.

Yeah, I heard the podcast with Deborah Ann Woll, her husband, and Charlie Cox, and they mentioned that on the first day of filming, Henson was fresh from a film set, and hadn't had time to do his usual prep work. Apparently after a wooden start, by the end of the first episode Charlie and he had built a rapport. And that seems reflected in the episode. He seems to loosen up as it progresses. By the end, they seem to have found more of a rhythm.

I have no complaints about the combat. There's actually a really cool elegance to some of the more flashy moves that I think is incredible. And I disagree about the mounting-and-punching segment at the beginning of the episode. The Man Without Fear graphic novel, in particular, had some fairly shocking explosions of anger and violence from Matt Murdock in his early incarnation. It would be cool to see the style evolve with the character, though. Given the attention to detail on display thus far, I suspect it will.
Nightwing2001
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just finished the first episode and its a great start, I'm impressed. Matt's talk of his father in the confessional was well done and shows that he has the acting chops for the part. Seeing them get it right with how Matt was blinded and got his powers just made me forget the awful way it was shown in the movie, thanks for that! I thought the fight scenes were well done. I think they have the perfect balance of what his fighting prowess would be in the beginning of his career, he's really good but he's not perfect yet. The hinting at the Kingpin as the villain but not showing him yet was great as well. I really got to say I loved seeing DD using the billy clubs as throwing weapons and having them bounce off of things just like in the comics! That was a real geeky fanboy thing to appreciate but I thought it was great. Very Happy I think they really captured the chemistry between Matt and Foggy as well here.

I think what stood out for me the most was that it really had the feeling of the characters and stories from the comics, and that they took it all so seriously. I was so worried this was going to have a lot of bad comedy, in the vein of "hey this is from a comic book" and a lot of bad action movie dialogue. I'm happy to see this wasn't the case. They've done it earnestly and with a lot of respect for the source material.

I can't believe there is a freakin' Daredevil show on tv right now and I've still got 12 more I can watch! Surprised
Bullseye11
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, this is really a dream come true. Amazing. I'm expecting great things from the rest of this show.
Darkdevil
Humanity's Fathom

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, I'm not sure where to begin, but that was a superb start. The characterization, the acting, the tone, all of it was excellent.

The action was brutal with flashes of brilliance (and unlike the film, I could actually follow it). Delaying the appearance of the Kingpin only heightens his menace. And I just love the little mentions of the overall MCU.

If I didn't have to work this weekend, I'd watch it all now! Smile
Clayton Blind Love
Redemption

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure that I'm doing this wrong. Instead of going forward to the next episode, I went back and watched this opener again. I was impressed. This is the big bowl of noir that my belly needed. By the time I finished this the second time, I became fairly certain that DD vol.4 was all a dream. Wink
Now, this isn't perfect, but it is damn close to it. The greatest thing about all of this? The origin story being broken up and sprinkled throughout.
Also, the brutality is the perfect cup of tea for me.
I'm in love with the Maleev look. Really, it is all in those glasses. It makes me want to stop watching the show and read Hardcore again.

C.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The Netflix show and other movies All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: