Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

Punisher series announced

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The Netflix show and other movies
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kuljit Mithra
Hardcore

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:17 am    Post subject: Punisher series announced Reply with quote

To the surprise of no one, a full season has been ordered for Punisher...

http://marvel.com/news/tv/26104/netflix_orders_marvels_the_punisher_to_series?linkId=23992378
Dayle88
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha, I was going to say 'what a shocker'. Hopefully we get a season 3 announcement soon too.
Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very cool. I don't want him in The Defenders, but I'd love a Punisher show. The question is what tone they'll go with. I could see a Garth Ennis version, which a bit campier in the violence, which might help balance out the otherwise oppressive darkness the show might have.

Not sure what to read next? Check out the Book Club for some ideas!

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons
james castle
Devil in Cell-Block D

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope it's campy and pulpy and violent. Every episode should introduce a gang or crime or whatever and then end with the Punisher shooting all the bad guys dead. Ennis' run was amazing for all sort of reasons but for my money what made it truly great is the Punisher just shot everyone dead.

So why can't you see the funny side?
Why aren't you laughing?
The Overlord
Paradiso

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Murdock wrote:
Very cool. I don't want him in The Defenders, but I'd love a Punisher show. The question is what tone they'll go with. I could see a Garth Ennis version, which a bit campier in the violence, which might help balance out the otherwise oppressive darkness the show might have.

I assume you are talking about the more comedic 616 Ennis run, where he runs over Wolverine with a steam roller and fights a "little person" crime boss and not the Punisher Max series where Punisher fights human traffickers and a crime boss who killed his own family.

I liked the more comedic Punisher, but I think the darker Max Punisher had more substantive stories.
Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did mean that since the other one is not part of the 616 continuity. That being said, Punisher MAX is more fitting in tone with the Netflix world.

Not sure what to read next? Check out the Book Club for some ideas!

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons
The Overlord
Paradiso

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Murdock wrote:
I did mean that since the other one is not part of the 616 continuity. That being said, Punisher MAX is more fitting in tone with the Netflix world.

I think from both a tone and budget standpoint the Max series would be easier to do and indeed the second season of DD borrowed some elements form Punisher Max, Finn the Irish gangster from episode 4 was a Max villain. I think the Russian's cyborg body would not work for a Netflix series. But they did borrow elements from older Punisher stories, the Blacksmith was actually a Punisher villain from the 80s, so they can combine elements from the Max and 616 series through out the decades.

I also think we have seen plenty of media with very dark protagonists like Dexter, Breaking Bad and Death Note and people liked all of those series, so I think a darker Punisher could work as a protagonist in a TV series.

What I like about some the Max stories as that they can challenge the reader, what Punisher is doing is wrong from a legal and ethical level, but some the villains he fought were so awful, people can end up rooting for him on a emotional level.
MarcWagz
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

punisher was so overpowered in DD season 2.
Crazy that he beat Daredevil in every single fight except the last time they fought, when in something like 50 fights in the comics he has only ever won 1 or 2...

All because people think he is "cool"
The Overlord
Paradiso

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarcWagz wrote:
Crazy that he beat Daredevil in every single fight except the last time they fought, when in something like 50 fights in the comics he has only ever won 1 or 2...

Well the season would have been far shorter and less dramatic if DD just beat Punisher in the first episode.
MarcWagz
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Overlord wrote:
MarcWagz wrote:

Well the season would have been far shorter and less dramatic if DD just beat Punisher in the first episode.

True but when he was using guns and explosives its fair, he could have used flashbangs but instead he was just straight up beatong him the only time he was losing was when he was paying attention to something else like the bikes in episode 2 or 3.

And the last fight which was how their fights should have gone most of the time.
The Overlord
Paradiso

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it looks like Karen will be in this show:

https://www.buzzfeed.com/alannabennett/karen-page-free-from-matt-murdock-at-last?utm_term=.iup19B3V#.tw1WqEaZ

Looks like Karen is getting a lot to do. I wonder if she will be the only Daredevil character to appear.

james castle wrote:
I hope it's campy and pulpy and violent. Every episode should introduce a gang or crime or whatever and then end with the Punisher shooting all the bad guys dead. Ennis' run was amazing for all sort of reasons but for my money what made it truly great is the Punisher just shot everyone dead.

Sorry for the late response, but I doubt this what they will do.

Netflix series usually tell one long story, rather then do a episodic series.

Though frankly building up the evil scum bags before Punsiher kills them I think works well, one episode doesn't give you enough time to have a truly despicable villain for Punisher to go after.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The Netflix show and other movies All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: