Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

Marvel's Luke Cage S1E1 Discussion

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The Netflix show and other movies
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kuljit Mithra
Hardcore

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 2:49 pm    Post subject: Marvel's Luke Cage S1E1 Discussion Reply with quote

As with past Netflix shows, I'll post some threads for discussion... I doubt we'll need one post for each episode, so I'll make only a few.

For this post, only discuss episode 1, nothing that comes after.
Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Episode one. As tradition, I'm making a drink specially for this show. Daredevil had a Manhattan. Jessica Jones was a shot of whiskey chased by beer. For Luke Cage, I'm going with something called a Harlem Cocktail:

2 oz Gin
1/4 oz Maraschino Liqueur
3/4 oz Pineapple Juice
1 tsp Lemon Juice
Angostura Bitters

The plan is to watch episodes until I can't see straight tonight. My reviews may get posted tomorrow, though. Overall, the cocktail is sweet. It's actually got a light yellow hue that fits well with Luke Cage's shirt.

From the beginning, I love the atmosphere. As a Basketball nerd, the barbershop discussion is right up my alley. Everything from the dialogue to the music is immediately engaging. I honestly didn't even notice that the entire cast at the start was black until the manager walked into the restaurant. This episode set up the characters well and the basic premise of where things are going. There are also some nice little Easter Eggs, including referencing Justin Hammer.

I will say that they're really pushing the line of what the network will allow. I'm pretty sure there's more profanity than Jessica Jones and that's saying something. In addition, there's very near nudity with pasties (although who would bother to go to a place with pasties?).

Luke Cage is definitely more of a boyscout overall than he is in the comics. It draws very much from Bendis's portrayal over the original portrayal. The "I'm not for Hire" line sealed that. But he's great. It's good to see the reluctant hero get his first baby steps.

Four and a Half Stars

Not sure what to read next? Check out the Book Club for some ideas!

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons
Bullseye11
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So far so good. I loved this episode. From the unique atmosphere to the awesome easter eggs, it was great. I agree with mike Murdock that this episode seems to pushing the limit with the swearing and near nudity. I think at this point, the netflix shows might as well not have any restrictions on what can be said or shown. But anyway, cool, fun episode. Im lookng forward to the rest of the season. I did enjoy the first episode of daredevil more but like most people here im a bit biased (;
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The Netflix show and other movies All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: