Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

Early Complaint About The Defenders

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The Netflix show and other movies
View previous topic :: View next topic  
james castle
Devil in Cell-Block D

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:48 am    Post subject: Early Complaint About The Defenders Reply with quote

I thought I'd sneak in early and complain about The Defenders before it's even out!

There's been a lot of media lately about how DD is "retired" at the beginning of the series and (I assume) gets drawn back into superheroing.

It may turn out great but I have three problems with this sort of plot.

1. It's completely unoriginal. "Superhero Briefly Gives Up Powers" has been done to death.

2. The not a very Daredevily thing. As above, it's sort of a boring trope but that's because it's been done to death in Spider-Man and Superman, etc.. I don't recall it ever being a major Daredevil story line though. He's been sidelined over the years but I don't recall him voluntarily giving up being DD in any real way. The closest I can recall is him leaving New York during the Nocenti days but even then he (strangely) just hung around in costume.

3. It's literally the last thing these Netflix series needs. My chief complaint about the Netflix series is that they're slow as all get out. Jessica Jones chasing and then catching and then sort of losing and then chasing one guy for a season? Iron Fist trying to get his Corporation back for three full episodes? No thanks. And now we have to watch Matt become Daredevil AGAIN? Why?

Anyway, it might be great anyway.

So why can't you see the funny side?
Why aren't you laughing?
Cropsy Cryptkeeper
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wasn't a big fan, I think any season of DD or Punisher beats it, really kind of a step back. It was cool how they managed to include all the storylines and characters but I wasn't feeling the payoff. The action scenes seemed a bit lazy to me. I only watched it after watching S3 of DD just to see how it tied together.
KTiger_44
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I recently discovered it and was quickly put off by the "temporarily stopped being Daredevil" schtick, it's really something I'd like to see less in fiction, be it about superheroes or not...
Or it'd be nice to see a talented writer deconstructing that trope, I would really enjoy that!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The Netflix show and other movies All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: