Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

DAREDEVIL #28 Preview, Reviews and Discussion

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What did you think of DAREDEVIL #28?
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
100%
 100%  [ 5 ]
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 5

Kuljit Mithra
Hardcore

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:33 am    Post subject: DAREDEVIL #28 Preview, Reviews and Discussion Reply with quote

Sorry for the delay, as a preview wasn't available until today.
DAREDEVIL #28 ships October 25th by Soule, Garney, Milla and a cover by Deodato.
Here's a preview:

http://www.manwithoutfear.com/gallery/Daredevil-V5-028

Please use this thread for all discussion!
Dimetre
Underboss

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not used to Soule sticking the landing at the end of one of his stories. I don't think he's ever done it before -- not even at the end of his Muse story, and I love Muse. But, by George, I think he did it!

This issue ends with the revelation that Blindspot gave the Beast of the Hand Daredevil's soul. Well, not really. What it really means is that Blindspot gave up Daredevil to be the Beast's eternal chew toy.

Okay, I'm going to start by saying I gave this issue a four out of five, which means it's not perfect. I'm going to start with what's wrong with it.

In #27, Blindspot was a true enigma. You didn't know if he was permanently corrupted by the Hand. In #28, he seems to suddenly snap out of it when he hears Daredevil's painful wail. He rebels against his mother and attacks the Beast.

I couldn't help but feel that this was a lost opportunity to deepen Blindspot's character. I already think Blindspot is pretty cool, but I think he could have wrestled against the Hand's influence a little longer. I don't know how much longer Sam's going to hang around in the pages of Daredevil, but if he's going to become a Marvel fixture for years to come, giving him his own struggle with the Hand is a way of making him distinct... somewhat. (I know... Elektra...)

SPOILERS FROM HERE ON

Now to the positives.

Sam's mother sacrifices herself to save her son from the Beast, and Ron Garney crafts a heartbreaking double-page spread that lets you feel his pain. It's a masterpiece. We could still be talking about it decades from now. When you turn the page, there is a single word bubble with Sam's cry, and then Sam takes Daredevil's comforting gloved hand. Beautiful.

From here on, I can't help but feel there is some thinly-veiled political commentary from Charles Soule. I don't know what nationality Soule is, whether he himself is an immigrant, or whether he has worked closely in the United States' immigration system, but he definitely has something to say. Because of that, reading the scene of Matt and Sam drinking tea in Zhangjiajie City was an absolute pleasure. Sam tries to explain why he first became Blindspot -- not for heroic reasons, but to prove himself valuable within western society. Matt starts to assure Sam that he was always valuable, but Sam cuts him off, continuing his explanation.
Quote:
You don't see it. You're from there. You take it for granted. I could lose everything at any time. Get deported, lose my whole life. So I keep my head down. We all do. You say I'm valuable. Fine. But you know how many mes there are out there?

Right now, when it seems that immigrants, both legal and otherwise, are feeling less-than-valued in the United States, that this is a truly worthwhile discussion to have, even in the pages of Daredevil. And Sam does such a good job expressing why he feels the way he does, and why it's so hard to make even someone like Matt understand that. Full kudos to Soule.

The end of the issue sets up the next arc. Full disclosure: Like Kuljit and a few other regulars on this board, I live in Toronto, Canada. We had someone named Rob Ford as our mayor for four years, and many more years when he sat on city council. He was a drug addict, and was seen palling around in photos with gangsters. So, I got a disturbing case of deja vu when I saw that Wilson Fisk was elected as the mayor of New York. Actually, I'm being presumptuous. We don't know if there was an election. What I'm saying is that I've already seen the worst of municipal politics in real life, but perhaps those currently living in the United States are saying the same thing at a federal level.

I'm not sure if I believe that the people of New York would elect someone like Wilson Fisk, but I'll reserve judgement on that until I find out more.

At any rate, Soule and Garney, well done! This is a solid ending, and therefore your strongest story to date! However, I'm still waiting for Muse's return.
Sunni
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

4 out of 5 for me. I liked it, but I wanted more Matt fighting the Hand, less Sam debating with Lu Wei as I swear this is the exact same argument they had back in #5. It was a bit of a missed opportunity to delve into the Hand better, IMHO. And I know it’s mean, but I’m glad Sam lost his mom. You don’t get to sell out Matt without consequences, Sam, Hand influence or no Hand influence.

Dimetre wrote:
I couldn't help but feel that this was a lost opportunity to deepen Blindspot's character. I already think Blindspot is pretty cool, but I think he could have wrestled against the Hand's influence a little longer. I don't know how much longer Sam's going to hang around in the pages of Daredevil, but if he's going to become a Marvel fixture for years to come, giving him his own struggle with the Hand is a way of making him distinct... somewhat. (I know... Elektra...)

Sam will have to start appearing outside of Daredevil and meaningfully interact with characters besides Matt if he’s meant to be more than a supporting character. As for characterization, I think we gained a lot these past two issues. He’s as serious as Matt, but more selfish, and he’s aware of that, so we’ll see where he goes next, especially since he lost the parent encouraging the self-centered behavior.

Dimetre wrote:
Sam's mother sacrifices herself to save her son from the Beast, and Ron Garney crafts a heartbreaking double-page spread that lets you feel his pain. It's a masterpiece.

His art in this issue was amazing, and I’ve really enjoyed all of his work on this run. It fits the tone so well and helps make this title distinct from all the other books out there.

Dimetre wrote:
From here on, I can't help but feel there is some thinly-veiled political commentary from Charles Soule. I don't know what nationality Soule is, whether he himself is an immigrant, or whether he has worked closely in the United States' immigration system, but he definitely has something to say.

Soule is an immigration lawyer, so of course he has something to say here. But Sam’s legal now, and that’s what matters. Hopefully him and Hannah can get on the same page moving forward without that divide between them.

Dimetre wrote:
I'm not sure if I believe that the people of New York would elect someone like Wilson Fisk, but I'll reserve judgement on that until I find out more.

Given what happened in the Kingpin mini and his role in Secret Empire, I totally buy Fisk being elected. He’s presenting himself as a former mobster who has genuinely reformed (even though Matt, Foggy, and us readers know better), and given his autobiography was a massive success, he’s a celebrity. That would give him an immediate advantage in an election, and I wouldn’t be surprised if whoever he ran against was a less dynamic candidate. Fisk didn’t get to be where he is without successfully appealing to people.

Dimetre wrote:
However, I'm still waiting for Muse's return.

I will be happy to see Muse again too. This arc wasn’t my favorite of Soule’s run, but I still liked it, and I’m excited for Mayor Fisk.
Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the sense of dread the Beast brings in this issue. The whole thing with the tongue of the Beast was creepy and the idea of killing and resurrecting Daredevil works quite well. The resolution of the story felt a bit too predictable, unfortunately. That being said, I love the denouement that came after. I loved Blindspot's speech about his motivations and all that. I think it would have been interesting for him to stay as a Chinese superhero, but Charles Soule is an immigration attorney, so bringing Sam into legal status is a happy ending for him (even if it's not the typical ending for an illegal immigrant). I also love the reveal at the end. Spoiled, of course, by solicits, but still well-handled. I'm excited for Legacy.

Four and a Half Stars. It's brought down only by the predictable way the Hand story ended, but brought back up by the stuff that came after. Also, I have to give credit to Ron Garney's art. I didn't like it in the first couple issues, but it's been on point since the Muse story. This story has some wonderful layouts.

Not sure what to read next? Check out the Book Club for some ideas!

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons
Daredevil24
Humanity's Fathom

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I truly hope Blindspot goes away again for an even longer time. I really wanted to like him but these two issues did the exact opposite. I don't get the get the hype behind him. He's annoying and his presence feels forced to me.
Belfan
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really enjoyed this issue. I felt that the conclusion was smooth, and it transitioned to the next arc very well. If Matt wasn't gone (in China) there was no way he would have allowed Fisk to win the election. He would have drawn out the true nature of the beast (Fisk) and shown his true colors.

I did read Secret Empire, and they were setting the ground work for "Mayor Fisk" during that series.

The art by Garney was amazing, some of his best work, in my opinion.

I like Blindspot, I hope he stays around for a while. I remember during Nocenti's run that a little boy had an accident similar to Matt's with chemicals, and Matt tried to train him. It appeared that the boy never developed powers, but I always thought that Matt would have made a great teacher. Firm, but also understanding, as Stick was pretty hard on him, I think he would have been kinder. We got to see some of that already, but I hope we see some more of the interaction between Matt & Sam.

I gave it 4 *'s
Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt made a terrible teacher in that story. The whole point was that he was trained by Stick so he ends up just as harsh a teacher. That being said, that story is definitely in my mind here. There's absolutely precedent for him training someone.

Not sure what to read next? Check out the Book Club for some ideas!

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons
Dimetre
Underboss

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Blindspot is a good character, and obviously one whom Soule has spent a good time forming. He seems to know him inside and out. I think Marvel should let Soule write a Blindspot mini-series.

However, I don't think enough of a case has been made for Daredevil having a sidekick. Matt simply takes too many risks. He is fine with endangering himself, but it doesn't make sense for him to endanger others. He isn't comfortable doing so. By this time he has made a good friend in Sam, but Sam has already paid a very high price for fighting alongside Daredevil.

I think I would be fine with Blindspot showing up in the pages of Daredevil every now and again, but not sharing the title like Black Widow did in the early seventies. As I said, Blindspot deserves at least his on mini-series, or a spot with the Champions or some other team.
Sunni
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daredevil24 wrote:
I truly hope Blindspot goes away again for an even longer time. I really wanted to like him but these two issues did the exact opposite.

I had really liked Blindspot before this, but Sam came off terribly in this story. With a friend like him, Daredevil doesn’t need enemies. Suffering a huge personal loss doesn’t even out Blindspot betraying, imprisoning, and torturing Daredevil, and Sam really has to make this whole incident up to Matt.

Belfan wrote:
I always thought that Matt would have made a great teacher. Firm, but also understanding, as Stick was pretty hard on him, I think he would have been kinder. We got to see some of that already, but I hope we see some more of the interaction between Matt & Sam

Mike Murdock wrote:
Matt made a terrible teacher in that story. The whole point was that he was trained by Stick so he ends up just as harsh a teacher. That being said, that story is definitely in my mind here. There's absolutely precedent for him training someone.

We’ve seen Matt is a hard but not heartless teacher with Sam, which is about right given he has Stick as the model to follow, but he also remembers how Stick treated him.

Daredevil24 wrote:
I don't get the get the hype behind him. He's annoying and his presence feels forced to me.

Dimetre wrote:
However, I don't think enough of a case has been made for Daredevil having a sidekick. Matt simply takes too many risks. He is fine with endangering himself, but it doesn't make sense for him to endanger others. He isn't comfortable doing so. By this time he has made a good friend in Sam, but Sam has already paid a very high price for fighting alongside Daredevil.

I agree Sam’s presence in the book doesn’t feel organic as it should be because it hasn’t been supported sufficiently in the narrative. Sam aside, I’d argue any apprentice for Daredevil isn’t going to seem like a natural story development due to who Matt is. Now Soule’s tried to mitigate that by having Blindspot be the one to continually force the issue with Daredevil, but if Blindspot doesn’t get it together, Daredevil should push him away. Otherwise Soule needs to better justify Sam’s presence, both in terms of what does Sam offer Matt that Matt can’t do himself and why Matt is accepting Sam going back into the fight when he’s already lost so much. Blindspot just working with Daredevil again without a firmer context isn’t enough.

Dimetre wrote:
I think I would be fine with Blindspot showing up in the pages of Daredevil every now and again, but not sharing the title like Black Widow did in the early seventies. As I said, Blindspot deserves at least his on mini-series, or a spot with the Champions or some other team.

Thing is, I don’t think there’s anywhere else for him to go at the moment. After what happened in this arc, I think he needs to be rebuilt to successfully carry a mini, and the team books like the Avengers and Champions are already busy dealing with a lot of characters who have lost their books (like Nova Sam, Wasp Nadia, etc.) Plus Matt is already on the Defenders, so putting Sam there too would be a wash.
Daredevil24
Humanity's Fathom

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before I wasn't really sold on Sam, but now after the betrayal I'd give almost anything to have him meet the Joker. Seriously, I just find him unnecessary, overhyped and dull. I really wish characters like Echo and Angela Del Torro were around and knew who Matt is. I prefer Black Tarantula over Sam.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: