Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

DAREDEVIL #9 Preview, Reviews and Discussion

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What did you think of DAREDEVIL #9?
25%
 25%  [ 1 ]
75%
 75%  [ 3 ]
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 4

Kuljit Mithra
Hardcore

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:18 pm    Post subject: DAREDEVIL #9 Preview, Reviews and Discussion Reply with quote

DAREDEVIL #9 by Zdarsky, Sharma, Leisten and Tartaglia ships August 7th and here's the cover and preview!

http://www.manwithoutfear.com/gallery/Daredevil-V6-009

Please use this thread for all discussion when the issue ships!
Daredevil24
Humanity's Fathom

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting issue. I'm interested in this new crime family. Reminds of the Stokes family in Netflix's Luke Cage.
macjr33
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really enjoyed this last issue. It may be my favorite thus far in Zdarsky's run.

First, I have really enjoyed how Zdarky has handled Matt's faith. I thought the conversation with Reed Richards was great as well as the conversation with the nun. I really feel that Matt is looking for purpose and struggling with what he should be doing to help others. The scene where he falls into the rain and hears the voices of everyone I felt was really powerful. It kind of reminded me a bit of the conversation Matt and Foggy had in Season 1 of the Netflix series, in that Matt can't help but hearing all the people calling out for help.

Second, when Matt jumped back into action I noticed that he seemed to be not fighting as aggressively, focusing on going for pain points instead of trying to pummel them into oblivion. It almost feels like Matt is almost becoming "reborn" as Daredevil by going back to a look similar to his Miller-esque origin and starting from the beginning.

Lastly, this issue really highlighted both Matt's virtues and his flaws which is what the best Daredevil arcs do. As the nun said to him, he is a smart and kind man that is driven by the need to want to help others and make Hell's Kitchen safe. However, particularly when his at a low point, makes bad decisions when he comes to his relationships with women. This issue highlighted both of these really well, he both a sinner and saint. The one thing I do hope though is that nothing tragic happens to Mindy. While I was so happy to see Kristen's relationship end with Matt in way that didn't leave her either dead or in a horrible place I still would like to avoid continuing the trend of horrible things happening to the women that get involved with Matt.

5 stars!
Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This story is definitely taking a bold direction to not be a standard superhero fare. A discussion between Matt Murdock and Reed Richards about the existence of God is an interesting opening. One of the things I noticed is, while Matt is seemingly having a crisis of conscience, he's not prepared to give up either. When Reed takes a different view, he pushes back with the one that I think he's felt for some time. I guess it's less that he's questioning the existence of God and more questioning his role in the world.

But this issue very much seems to be about Matt finding his direction. It's also, of course, about exploring the contradictions with Daredevil, Matt Murdock, the lawyer, and the man of faith. Specifically, about whether one can do bad things to accomplish a good. It's also noteworthy that it seems to end with what seems to be an extra-marital affair - albeit one that has some complications.

Is this the longest we've gone without Daredevil in a Daredevil book? It seems that things are changing at the end and he'll be back on his feet soon, but we'll have to wait and see. I do think there's a back to basics element, but there's also an obvious Netflix show element. It's working for me either way. Four and a Half Stars.

Not sure what to read next? Check out the Book Club for some ideas!

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons
Dimetre
Underboss

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chip Zdarsky is on a roll.

This issue disturbs me, because Matt is clearly lost and directionless. He clearly made an effort to find contentment in an existence without Daredevil, but life simply wouldn't let him have that. All of his friends advised him to give up his Daredevil identity, but he clearly can't do that. Being Daredevil is going to be more difficult than ever for him, but he doesn't seem to have a choice. He is not thrilled about this, and this issue ends with him taking comfort in the arms of a gangster's wife. The feces is going to hit the fan.

All of the scenes with Matt are great. Zdarsky knows exactly what he's doing with Matt as a character, and has set him on a fascinating journey.

The only scene that didn't work for me was Cole's. Has the Owl's infiltration of the police force been set up? It completely came out of nowhere for me. If the Owl has played any part in the previous eight issues, I don't remember it. Hopefully Zdarsky makes the Owl an interesting villain for once.

My only other quibble is that Lalit Kumar Sharma seemed to rush through some of the drawings this issue. One panel shows Mindy sitting across from Matt in the bar, and she looks so much like Simon from the Chipmunks. I'm not exaggerating that much. I don't know if Sharma found it difficult to meet this issue's deadline, but even if this wasn't his strongest issue, there is some good work here. The fight against Leelo's kidnappers was well choreographed, along with Matt's walk in the rain.

I give this issue a four out of five.
Orpheus007
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like his arc, and the mature writing of the heavy topics. I think Fisk wading into being a straight edge political figure will actually lead to much bigger and better storylines. I am kind of bummed that Matt decided to hiton/kiss a married woman. Can’t we get a female character introduced for once that isn’t a hero or a love interest?
fubarthepanda
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree. The romance with the bookkeeper has been the weakest link in this run. He really needs to hook up with the Black Cat again Laughing
macjr33
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orpheus007 wrote:
I really like his arc, and the mature writing of the heavy topics. I think Fisk wading into being a straight edge political figure will actually lead to much bigger and better storylines. I am kind of bummed that Matt decided to hiton/kiss a married woman. Can’t we get a female character introduced for once that isn’t a hero or a love interest?

While I have always thought the idea of Matt being a womanizer is overstated, it is pretty consistent with his character that he makes poor decisions in his relationships with women when he hits low points in his life.

Matt's relationship with Heather Glen after Elektra's death, calling Natasha after Karen left him in Guardian Devil, marrying Milia in response to Karen's death, his affair with Dakota as his life was spiraling out of control during Burbaker's run all make his actions with Mindy, while we as the reader may not like it, certainly consistent with his character.

Now that certainly doesn't mean that always needs to be the case. I agree with fubarthepanda, things like his fling with the Black Cat was a fun change of pace (as was much of Waid's run in my opinion) and Spidey's line of "I think this is my villain origin story" still makes me laugh. So I would certainly welcome more that in the future.

With all that said, since's Soule's run was void of any love interest for me (and really not much of his supporting cast in general) not surprised that Zdarsky went in this direction.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: