Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

Other favorite comic-based heroes?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The off-topic section
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Muse
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:03 pm    Post subject: Other favorite comic-based heroes? Reply with quote

So what are everyone's other comic-based heroes?

For me, Daredevil is #2 behind Batman (and Robin). I grew up a big fan of the Dynamic Duo, and I'm a huge collector, particularly of the Dark Knight Trilogy, but also the Animated Series. I'm in the camp who has always believed that Batman is better with Robin.

Quite honestly, I never thought I'd go nuts for another superhero. But DD took me by storm, and I can't get enough. I have a literal Bat Cave at the house. So, with my Daredevil collection growing, that's been placed in my den, as I try and not take over that entire room with it. The Mrs. enjoys Daredevil, but I already have a Bat Cave, not sure I can have a Daredevil Lair too. Laughing
macjr33
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Currently for me Daredevil is #1 by a significant margin. My goal is to eventually get all the single issues for the main run. Have about 475 thus far.

At this point I was stick mostly with the street level heroes like Jessica Jones, Luke Cage, Iron Fist and the Black Widow. Recently I have been reading the Avengers and the X-Men and have been enjoying those.

When I was young teen I was more even in my like of Marvel and DC characters as I liked characters like Batman & Robin and the Flash along with likes of Spider-Man and the X-Men. Now I don't have much interest in DC characters. I'm a huge fan of Bendis and tried to read his Superman run and just couldn't get into it.

I'd probably be the most apt to like Batman; however, there are elements of his characterization that I've struggled with primarily the idea that "Bruce Wayne" is the disguise and Batman is his true identity (Unlike Daredevil, where it is Matt Murdock who is the hero). It made me harder to identify with the character. It may seem silly, but the fact that the DC universe is set in fictional cities also doesn't help. The Marvel Universe (to me) feels more connected.

Lastly, I am in the camp that believes that Born Again is the best thing Frank Miller did and that includes Batman: Year One and The Dark Knight Returns. My strongest argument is that Born Again exists in the standard Daredevil continuity.
Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daredevil is the one hero I unconditionally love. Black Panther might be up there, though. After that, I tend to enjoy specific runs of specific characters. I really enjoy Thor, but it's Walter Simonson's Thor. The X-Men are sort of in that boat, but I tend to view them more as a team rather than as a collection of characters and I don't think there's any character on the team that I would definitely follow into a solo book.

Not sure what to read next? Check out the Book Club for some ideas!

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons
Daredevil24
Humanity's Fathom

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me it's Luke Cage. But I think I like the idea and potential i see in the character rather than what's consistently on paper. Hope that makes sense. Loved him on Netflix though. Very well developed and badass. Unfortunately, I feel like his marriage to Jessica Jones and fatherhood killed a lot of what made him fun in the comics. Black Lightning and Jason Todd are also cool. Used to love Moon Knight and Hawkeye. Shout to my boy Shang Chi. I need more interaction with Daredevil and Shang Chi.
Dimetre
Underboss

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me, Daredevil is leagues ahead of any other hero.

In second place, it's probably Batman, mostly because of the 90s animated series. I love the comics from the 70s and 80s. Funnily enough, I think all of Frank Miller's Batman work is overrated. "Year One" is very good, and Dark Knight Returns is good, but neither, in my opinion, comes close to the work he did with our boy Matt. Batman should be an easier character for me to enjoy, but DC editorial makes it very hard. The closest thing I buy to a Bat book is Catwoman, because I think Selina is a great character. I adored Brubaker's run on Catwoman.

After Batman, it's probably the Silver Surfer. I heartily endorse the current mini-series Silver Surfer: Black by Donny Cates and Trad Moore. I love Norrin Radd's morality and nobility. I think Stan Lee did his all time best work with the Surfer.

Being a Brubaker fan, Bucky, also known as the Winter Soldier, is probably my next favourite comic book character.
Muse
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love all the responses. Thank you!

Revisiting some of the thoughts on Batman shared here, I have to admit, I very much dislike the current run. What I've found recently is that I prefer limited series. I LOVED Murphy's White Knight run. And I am digging the follow up, Curse of the White Knight. But the regular run of Batman and Detective Comics is off my saver.

I find the characters of Batman and Daredevil to be similar in many ways. They are grittier and more "real" than the majority of superheroes.

Oh and Mac -- I am also a fan of Bendis' run on DD. It was the first extended run I read (the three collected volumes). I branched out and obviously love Miller's stuff. I don't dislike any DD I've read so far.

Dimetre - I am also a huge fan of Brubaker. Loved his "Gotham Central" run, and obviously most of the Bat-related stuff he's done.

DD24 - very cool. I never really connected with Luke Cage, or JJ. I watched the Netflix series, but while I enjoyed them, never really to a level where I wanted to invest more time.

MM - Black Panther is awesome. Not a "favorite," per se, but I dig him.
macjr33
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Muse wrote:
Oh and Mac -- I am also a fan of Bendis' run on DD. It was the first extended run I read (the three collected volumes). I branched out and obviously love Miller's stuff. I don't dislike any DD I've read so far.

If you're a Bendis fan you should jump into some the Book Club's we've done recently as they've included arcs from the Bendis run.

As it exists now I am typically the lone supporter for Bendis!
Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, if I'm the second-most positive person for Bendis, it's not ideal. We just finished up Decalogue (which should be easy to find). I don't know if I should just go ahead and do the final arc or finish up Frank Miller's run first. Either way, feel free to go back to previous arcs and add a review.

Not sure what to read next? Check out the Book Club for some ideas!

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons
macjr33
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Murdock wrote:
Yeah, if I'm the second-most positive person for Bendis, it's not ideal. We just finished up Decalogue (which should be easy to find). I don't know if I should just go ahead and do the final arc or finish up Frank Miller's run first. Either way, feel free to go back to previous arcs and add a review.

Well I absolutely love the Murdock Papers arc so it would be great if we reviewed that! However, Miller would be awesome as well!

Also, planning on going back and writing a review of The Widow arc that was previously done. That is also one of my favorite arcs in Bendis' run and I see that you and Dimetre weren't huge fans.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The off-topic section All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: