Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

Larry Cranston’s back

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lcarr1991
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 2:03 pm    Post subject: Larry Cranston’s back Reply with quote

Spoilers for king in black: thunderbolts.
I’m not big on marvel events for obvious reasons but i had to check out the king in black thunderbolts tie in when i heard that Larry Cranstons mr. Fear was a part of the team. Always been my favourite version of the character (at least since the without fear storyline from the mid 2000s.)

My worry though is that he’s been brought back after all this time because after not appearing in any books for so long he’s now considered expendable. This book opens with fisk saying the thunderbolts are all dead and the rest of the book is set up like a flashback. During the first issue a couple of the members die (one is killed by cranston himself) but he makes it to the end.

He seems to have had a radical personality overhaul as well as getting a new costume which seems like a lot of effort to put into him if they are just going to kill him off but i was wondering what you all think. Has cranston appeared in comics more recently than the “without fear” arc ? And do you think he’s about to recieve a resurgence or will he finally be killed off for good?
macjr33
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Larry Cranston’s back Reply with quote

lcarr1991 wrote:
Spoilers for king in black: thunderbolts.
I’m not big on marvel events for obvious reasons but i had to check out the king in black thunderbolts tie in when i heard that Larry Cranstons mr. Fear was a part of the team. Always been my favourite version of the character (at least since the without fear storyline from the mid 2000s.)

My worry though is that he’s been brought back after all this time because after not appearing in any books for so long he’s now considered expendable. This book opens with fisk saying the thunderbolts are all dead and the rest of the book is set up like a flashback. During the first issue a couple of the members die (one is killed by cranston himself) but he makes it to the end.

He seems to have had a radical personality overhaul as well as getting a new costume which seems like a lot of effort to put into him if they are just going to kill him off but i was wondering what you all think. Has cranston appeared in comics more recently than the “without fear” arc ? And do you think he’s about to recieve a resurgence or will he finally be killed off for good?

Thanks for the info as I am really not reading the King in Black event.

To my knowledge he hasn't appeared since the Brubaker run; however, someone please correct me if I am wrong here.
Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thunderbolts is an interesting choice for him. Personally, I think he's a great villain and I'm curious if it's the right dynamic. If it's done right with the character, I look forward to reading it (when it gets to Marvel Unlimited).

Not sure what to read next? Check out the Book Club for some ideas!

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons
lcarr1991
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: Larry Cranston’s back Reply with quote

macjr33 wrote:
Thanks for the info as I am really not reading the King in Black event.

To my knowledge he hasn't appeared since the Brubaker run; however, someone please correct me if I am wrong here.

Yeah I didn’t think so. I just wondered if maybe he’d been in an annual or event that i’d missed.

Mike Murdock wrote:
Thunderbolts is an interesting choice for him. Personally, I think he's a great villain and I'm curious if it's the right dynamic. If it's done right with the character, I look forward to reading it (when it gets to Marvel Unlimited).

It’s definitely worth checking out even if its just an odd curiosity. In terms of dynamic, cranstons pretty much been turned into the crazy guy who can’t take anything seriously. He’s the comic relief of the group which is obviously a far cry from his previous appearances.

He also looks more like a junkie and his costumes a lot more goth/punk. On top of all that he no longer has any purple man style powers and while his gun still shoots gas it doesnt seem to have much affect on anything. Basically what i’m saying is he’s now mr. Fear in name only and i’m curious about the thinking behind the changes.
fubarthepanda
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, first appearance of Larry Cranston since the Brubaker run. However, his nephew, Alan Fagan, has been running around as the 4th Mister Fear in the interim.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: