Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

DAREDEVIL #33 Preview, Reviews and Discussion

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What did you think of DAREDEVIL #33?
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
25%
 25%  [ 1 ]
50%
 50%  [ 2 ]
25%
 25%  [ 1 ]
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 4

Kuljit Mithra
Hardcore

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 10:25 pm    Post subject: DAREDEVIL #33 Preview, Reviews and Discussion Reply with quote

DAREDEVIL #33 ships August 11th and here's the cover and preview

http://www.manwithoutfear.com/preview-images/daredevil-v6-033/

Issue by Zdarsky, Checchetto, Menyz and Cowles. Please use this thread for all discussion when the issue ships!
Dimetre
Underboss

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marco Checchetto's return to pencils is most welcome, as is the opening scene explaining the experiments on Bullseye. However, the recap page has some information that I don't recall being covered so far. Have we been told that the prison Matt is in is "overseeing the manufacture of a dangerous drug called re-cid"? Did I miss something?

Elektra's battle against the Bullseye clones started with a lot of promise, but she ends up being overpowered. Now, I know this is Bullseye, and he's no regular pushover. In fact he's very lethal, but I would like to think Elektra can do better than this. She needed to be rescued by the Avengers. This is kind of her book right now, so she should be able to get out of her own messes.

I didn't get a lot out of the phone conversation between Butch and Izzy Libris, other than she's upset. Mike doesn't show any apprehension towards the brutality he witnessed in Butch last issue, and that seems like a lost opportunity to show some of Mike's character here.

The best thing about this issue is the return of Detective Cole North. He is a commanding figure, with a complicated history with Matt. I don't think North has anything to worry about next issue. Matt can't be going crazy. (Of course, I may have missed something about the re-cid last issue, in which case it should have been made a bigger deal.)

Not a great issue, but it's pretty good. Checchetto's return, along with Cole North make this worthwhile. I gave it a three.
DesignDevil
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually a solid issue without anything offensively stupid (besides Mike) like most of the issues over the last year.

Checchetto's art is amazing. It would've been nice to see Matt drawn by him for more than one panel. Has anyone else noticed that Checchetto is very inconsistent with the size of characters? His Matt switches back and forth between lean muscular acrobat and skinny gangly unhealthy, and this was noticeable long ago. Other characters like Fisk and North have varied scale too.

Still some questionable stuff going in the storytelling as Dimetre mentioned, but not terrible. Not a fan of the clone stuff, and why are they conveniently untraceable by the Avengers and psychics? Really?

I'll give it a 3.
Dimetre
Underboss

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I just flipped through #32 again, and yep, I didn't miss anything. What we have hear is a recap page that spoils a big mystery Zdarsky and company are building. Nothing in #32 revealed that the scientists are building a dangerous drug named re-cid. This is a weird development, and I pin it on editor Devin Lewis who I've complimented in the past.
Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dimetre wrote:
So I just flipped through #32 again, and yep, I didn't miss anything. What we have hear is a recap page that spoils a big mystery Zdarsky and company are building. Nothing in #32 revealed that the scientists are building a dangerous drug named re-cid. This is a weird development, and I pin it on editor Devin Lewis who I've complimented in the past.

I don't read the recap page so that's a good thing to point out. Odd choice and I wonder why they didn't either add something to this issue or, more importantly, wait since it wasn't central to what happened here.

Anyway, I really liked this issue. The action at the beginning was great. Fisk's character moments were wonderful. And the surprise of the ending made the whole thing seem like a wonderful bonkers story. I'm actually glad it focused on Elektra. I think it served the story better.

Four and a Half Stars.

Not sure what to read next? Check out the Book Club for some ideas!

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons
fubarthepanda
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2021 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After last issue's slight uptick, it's back to questionable Elektra fight scenes (has she lost her skills since becoming DD?), more Mike & Butch (why is Izzy -- let alone anyone -- taking advice from Butch?), and another cliffhanger where Matt appears to have gone to the dark side (remember Venom from a few months ago?). Throw in the added headache of clones, and we seem to be knee deep in jumbled plot soup again. That said, I wasn't particularly offended by the issue, so it gets a solid "meh".
Dimetre
Underboss

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2021 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fubarthepanda wrote:
After last issue's slight uptick, it's back to questionable Elektra fight scenes (has she lost her skills since becoming DD?)

I agree with you, but I also think she's having trouble wrapping her head around using non-lethal force.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: